U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-17-2009, 04:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,733 times
Default Finding our way round?!?!?!

Hi

Me and a friend are visiting California in September and need some help! We plan to stay at Newport Beach for two nights then Santa Monica for 3 night then then dropping our hire car off in Los Angeles and staying in a hotel which is in downtown Los Angeles for a week.

We are looking to find out what are the best bars/clubs in these areas? Best resturants? Shops?

If anyone could help would be very gratefull

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 04:28 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,685,337 times
Just to get you started, the nexus of Newport Beach's nightlife is going to be on the Balboa Peninsula around the piers. There's a nice shopping strip on Balboa Island on Marine Ave, and Fashion Island off Jamboree is a popular outdoor mall. South Coast Plaza is a HUGE high end mall in Costa Mesa which isn't too far from Newport. I'd definately recommend taking some time to go south to Laguna Beach as well, especially the downtown area. If you have any extra time in OC, the mission in San Juan Capistrano is worth seeing, and San Clemente near the pier is fantastic.

Regarding Santa Monica, the bulk of the nightlife will be either in the dowtown area (3rd St Promenade is the focal point) or along Main St. Montana Ave is a higher end nice outdoor shopping area.

I would highly recommend going to www.yelp.com to research bars, clubs, and restaurants. Also, make sure you go to AAA and get maps of the areas so you can explore!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:36 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,901,726 times
I can tell you ALL about shopping & maybe a restaurant or two!

Newport Beach - Make sure you go to Fashion Island. It's an upscale mostly outdoor/partially indoor shopping mall w/ lots of stores w/ wonderful items & clothes. But, even if you don't buy a thing, just strolling around is really, really nice! There's even 2 food courts.

Here's the mall's website: Shop Fashion Island

I don't know much else to do in Newport Beach, but then again, I mostly care about the shopping!

Santa Monica - Go to the 3rd Street Promenade & then right next door (walking distance) is a 3-story indoor mall called Santa monica Place. Here's the websites:

http://thirdstreetpromenade.com/

Santa Monica Place

Downtown LA - Go to Hollywood & Highland (on Hollywood Blvd) & there is a club or two in there too. You also may want to go to the Beverly Center & The Grove (& Farmer's Market is right next door, walking distance from the Grove):

Hollywood & Highland Center

Beverly Center

The Grove

The Original Farmers Market

If you like Chinese food, P.F. Chang's China Bistro is fabulous! There's one in Newport Beach in the Fashion Island mall & in front of the Beverly Center mall:

P.F. Chang's China Bistro

This site should help you out w/ LA things to do:

LAMAG.com: Where to Eat, Where to Shop, and What to Do In Los Angeles – Only the Best In LA

Old 04-03-2009, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,733 times
Thank you for your replies they have been very helpful!

We are also thinking of doing a night in Malibu in the middle before our week in Los Angeles to see what that is like and maybe go to a nice resturant maybe Nobu. Is it worth doing this or are Santa Monica and Malibu really close anyway?

Can you tell me much about LA where to go in the evenings? We are staying at the custom hotel in downtown la.

Thanks again!!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:38 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,685,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2299 View Post
Thank you for your replies they have been very helpful!

We are also thinking of doing a night in Malibu in the middle before our week in Los Angeles to see what that is like and maybe go to a nice resturant maybe Nobu. Is it worth doing this or are Santa Monica and Malibu really close anyway?

Can you tell me much about LA where to go in the evenings? We are staying at the custom hotel in downtown la.

Thanks again!!!!
I personally wouldn't block out a night for Malibu. Malibu is very close to Santa Monica, and most of it is residential. They have a nice pier to check out, and some fantastic hiking there. The Malibu Country Mart is a good place to see celebs. Zuma Beach in Malibu is nice to walk along or sunbath if the weather is right. If you are looking for an alternative to Santa Monica for one night I'd recommend the South Bay. You could stay in Manhattan, Hermosa, or Redondo Beach and explore the beach communities. You'll find they have a completely different character from the rest of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California