Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnypipes View Post
Sure, I realize I was vague. I have the option of both areas, LA, SF. Let me try to clarify:

We have a 3 year old and my wife is a fanatic for great schools. This is a major deciding factor. We will go private if we have to but feel a highly rated public school offers a broader opportunity.

I terms of scenery, we lived in NYC before moving to CT and appreciate both. Ideally, we would want to live within proximity to a city as going out and cultural activities are appealing. But so are rolling hills and the opportunity to recreate doing a variety of things; museums, restaurants, beaches, lush areas. I suppose we want to move from being ensconced in our home during the winter for 4 months. Therefore, quality of life is important, and in keeping with the great schools mantra, high crime areas would not suit us.

We are effectively, affluent Jamaican-Americans, but have mostly lived in majority white neighborhoods. We are race agnostic and prefer to find our own sweet spot of kindred people; folks who are acculturated, spirited, and family oriented, rather than essentially afro-centric. Most of our friends are from other cultures due to our line of work. Of course diversity is a good thing and we appreciate it and do not choose to avoid it.

Where are some cool places to live in CA? I basically want to choose between the LA and SF areas.
All of this makes me think that you're coming from Fairfield County, am I right?
If so, then i really do think that you should look into Marin County specifically Mill Valley, (which I've referred to as "ConnecticutWest", I grew up in Fairfield County) but also Larkspur, Kentfield, Sausalito, Tiburon, Belvedere.

They fit your bill for great schools, Mt. Tamalpias (rolling hills alright!) and Muir Woods (lush), closest to the Pac. Ocean than any of the East Bay towns already suggested.
Just over the GG Bridge. Or the ferry from Larkspur for commuting.
Left leaning politically, mostly white but by no means racist. Generally highly educated affluent bohemian & yuppie types and VERY family oriented but some can be snobby and pretentious (like a elementary school version of Greenwich, Ct.!) which would be amusing probably...(ok maybe I'm just projecting)

I think it would be the best and easiest transition from the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 PM

12 posts, read 32,865 times
bellalunatic, et al - thanks for the posts and great suggestions.

Yes - I am from Fairfield County and I am used to the Greenwich snobs. Although, with the economic crash, some have come down to earth. No pun intended.

I will add all these areas to the mix and check them out.

Last edited by Donnypipes; 03-18-2009 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
Winter in the bay can hit the 40's and sometimes but not often below that (am referencing mysticaltyger's comment). But you might not think it is a big deal at all coming from the East Coast.

bellalunatic, is right on. The only thing I don't like about the areas he/she suggested is that there isn't BART. But you will get use to the commute if you choose any of those areas and the drive is beautiful and not really that big of a deal (daily toll fee is high, $6 a day).

Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 PM

28 posts, read 41,049 times
I'm certainly not an expert on Cali since I've never lived there for long periods of time. I travel with my job and have worked for several months at a time in LA, Long Beach and Walnut Creek. For me, Walnut Creek is hands down the best choice. I've travel the whole state but actually lived in Walnut Creek. Personally I loved the mix of nature versus city. SF is close enough to enjoy on some evenings and weekends. I tend to think the diverse races and cultures seemed to blend and mix better together than in LA....it just seems more natural, more forgiving, less important what you are and more important who you are.

I vote for N Cal (as an slightly informed outsider)

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:47 AM

12 posts, read 32,865 times
Just wanted to circle back to thank everyone. You've been great and given me a lot to work with.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 AM

20 posts, read 110,374 times
You should definitely visit both places because northern and southern California are very different. I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area and then lived in San Diego for 2 years for school. My friends and I always joke that northern California and southern should be different states. Southern California is beautiful but I just couldn't get used to it. The people were different than I was used to and it seemed more congested to me. Northern California definitely has more open spaces (obviously not in San Francisco, but you can drive up to Napa which is a nice escape). It really depends on your preferences. Southern California certainly has some great qualities but I prefer nothern California.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
Cupertino, Mountain View, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Atherton, all are cities you should check out. You can take 280 N up to SF on your commute, one of the most, if not the most scenic urban commutes on the planet (and it actually flows). And weather is nice in the South Bay. The rainfall/sun/temp patterns in Cupertino and parts of the south bay are pretty similar as in LA (just a tad cooler overnight). So it is a weather winner in the Bay, plus you are just over the hill from beaches of Santa Cruz and Capitola.

Bayareagirl, I'm wondering why you keep saying better schools are in SoCal. The city of Cupertino has amazing public schools, as well as the other cities I mentioned above. I know La Canada in SoCal has very good schools, but that would be pretty far from his work place and the traffic would be rough.

As for SoCal, I'd check out the coastal/Westside regions, like Santa Monica, Brentwood, Westwood, Beverley Hills. Traffic can be hell though on the westside, but you shouldn't be too far from your work place.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:35 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
vdy1985, I grew up in So. CA and did some college in both places and now have children in top rated areas of the bay so I believe I am well versed on this subject matter. The kids in both So. CA and No. Cal have different interests and what is being taught in schools in N.CA vs. S. CA is different and statistically speaking the schools in So. CA are better when you compare it against the national/state scale. For example one of my nieces attends one of the top rated public schools in Culver City which is an elementary school and they offer programs that challenge the intellect of a child at such a young age by offering them tools that will prepare them for job placement, each student has a personal computer, she wants to be a doctor so she is in the specialized science program where she even got to visit a morgue, and they are still offering orchestra. These are things at my daughter's top 10 rated school that they don't offer. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of nice bay area schools and I love my daughter's school but some of So. CA's schools have more to offer in MHO. Some people might think otherwise and I am ok with that.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:40 AM

31 posts, read 57,463 times
Default What about San Bernardino or Riverside county?

Since you're all talking about Ca, I might as well ask you guys questions about San Bernardino or Riverside county . I am from Montreal, Quebec and would love to relocate in Ca, I went for a week in LA and LOVED it, but with the research I did on the internet, houses are really expensive compare to S.B or Riverside county.
I am an RN, so I don't think that I will have problems finding a job, but I would really appreciate if you guys can give me some advices on where to live in South Ca where houses are nice and affordable and also have good schools for my kids (they are 12 and 8). I am not a "city" girl per say, so I am just looking for a nice place to live in and I know that all the entertainment and activities that I will need will be only at an hour drive to LA. I know that I will have to wait for the economy to get better but I want to get all the info so I can make my decision.
Also, if anyone can tell me about Texas, I heard it's very beautifful and culturally diverse (and closer to Montreal). I am really looking for a place where I can go to the beach often, because I LOOOOOVE the ocean .
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions . Peace!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California