U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:00 AM

357 posts, read 1,698,809 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am resident of Boca Raton, Florida considering a move west to a city like San Luis Obispo. Although Boca Raton is a nice, well-manicured middle to upper middle class place. After 12 years in the Sunshine State I am seriously ready for a change. Boca is a pocket of beauty as the area I live in does not have many chain restaurants, but more mom and pop type places as well as nice gourmet style restaurants. I am by no means rich but I teach for a county school district making a good living. My partner (same sex) and I own a 3 bed townhome that is 1 mile from a nice swimming beach. He owns a small hair salon. I guess we are afraid like many of you to give up what is pretty good, stable life in a pretty nice place.

My interest in a place like San Luis Obispo I guess is the natural beauty that seems to surround the place, the possible? slower pace of life, the proximity to interesting urban areas like LA and SF. A real downtown, as Boca's is developing and will in 10 years be a really walkable place but I dont want to wait.

I guess my concerns will be emploment. Will my partner find work easily in a salon in SLO? or will he be able to start up a salon in the town? What about me finding teaching employment in SLO? I presently teach at the elementary level. We have even considered starting a business in SLO together like possibly a restaurant or some small business. Housing is a concern, but I am figuring we would probably have to rent for a few years. What are the rents for a 2 bed, 1 bath in downtown SLO? Is SLO a liberal place? Will we be accepted as a same sex couple?

Has anybody ever been to Boca Raton that lives in or near SLO? Could you compare? Any ohter tips or pointers are appreciated (neg or pos)

Old 03-25-2007, 03:13 PM

199 posts, read 1,033,128 times
Well, I know very little about FL, but I live in SLO county. I think you would like San Luis Obispo. SLO is a college town and while the county itself is agricultural in focus and politically rather conservative, SLO is very diverse and more liberal.

I don't know much about the salon business or if schools are hiring. In my opinion, starting a business here would cost a lot of money; commercial lease prices are just as outrageous as home prices. And CA is kind of a pain with rules and regulations, making it not the most business-friendly state. A 2bed/1bath in the downtown area will set you back about 1200-1500/month, or more depending on your desires/ability to pay.

I hope others can give you more specific information or resources as you evaluate this opportunity.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:06 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,677,426 times
Boca and SLO are very different places. First of all, unless you are the hardy type or weld a full-suit to your bod, the water is cold and inhospitable unless you're really used to it. I surfed at Pismo almost every day when I lived there. Coming from Boca, you'll find the beach cold period. SLO is a lovely town, totally different vibe from Boca. The weather is cooler year round, not steamy like S. Florida. It's a college town, full of young adults. I'd vote it one of the costlier places to open a business although you have plenty cheap labor available. You might find yourself feeling like you're in the boonies from where you come. If you want a place that is the antithesis of the city, SLO will do you just fine. Downtown is gorgeous and walkable and the whole town really clean. As with anything, take it in for yourself and see if it's for you.

Regarding gay life, you may find yourself feeling like you stepped back 15 or 20 years. As long as you stay south of the Cuesta Grade, (which is the redneck line of demarcation according to myself, my partner and many other gay people), tolerance is there although as a rule you'll find the area fairly conservative. What SLO really needs are places for gay people to hang out. Linnea's on Garden St. has long been a gay hangout but not a gay establishment per se with live music and poetry for many years. There were a couple stabs at decent gay bars but they fizzled quickly. If any opened recently I don't know about them.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 PM

60 posts, read 336,990 times
Well, I lived for many years in SLO, and it is as the above poster says. It is a long ways to any major city, though, like the LA or SF areas for cultural, artistic, and other city pleasures. Four hours+ to each of the above, and that's if the traffic is good, which a lot of times it isn't. It has a somewhat isolated feel to it for that reason. Otherwise it's a cool place to live. Speaking of which, you may find it cool, especially the beaches, after Florida. Very cool...

Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 12,247 times
It is definitely a cool, hip place that many people choose for their California Vacation !
I wouldn't live anywhere else!!!!!
SLO RULES!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:39 PM

1,313 posts, read 5,802,504 times
There are about 89 million Americans who would like to live in SLO; it is arguably the most desirable spot of real estate in the U.S. Yet SLO manages to stubbornly maintain it population below 50,000. Ask yourself why this is and consider whether you will be one of the few who manages to break the SLO Barrier and make a go of it. There are reasons why everyone doesn't live there.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 PM

269 posts, read 805,239 times
I grew up in Florida...been to Boca many times and I also love SLO. However, if you want to maintain the same lifestyle it will cost you at least 3 times the money. Having your own business sucks in california...our company is shipping as many jobs back east as we can.

Although SLO is pretty, I'd probably just vacation there and Boca isn't a bad place either.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,339,671 times
It's definitely worthy of a trip out to see it. If you've never been, you owe yourself a visit before you make long-range plans. You might also want to check a little south and a little north (Santa Barbara and Monterey) for other possibilities. These three places offer some of the best of CA and some of the best of the entire country

Old 03-27-2009, 09:08 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,366,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
Hello. I am resident of Boca Raton, Florida considering a move west to a city like San Luis Obispo. Although Boca Raton is a nice, well-manicured middle to upper middle class place. After 12 years in the Sunshine State I am seriously ready for a change. Boca is a pocket of beauty as the area I live in does not have many chain restaurants, but more mom and pop type places as well as nice gourmet style restaurants. I am by no means rich but I teach for a county school district making a good living. My partner (same sex) and I own a 3 bed townhome that is 1 mile from a nice swimming beach. He owns a small hair salon. I guess we are afraid like many of you to give up what is pretty good, stable life in a pretty nice place.

My interest in a place like San Luis Obispo I guess is the natural beauty that seems to surround the place, the possible? slower pace of life, the proximity to interesting urban areas like LA and SF. A real downtown, as Boca's is developing and will in 10 years be a really walkable place but I dont want to wait.

I guess my concerns will be emploment. Will my partner find work easily in a salon in SLO? or will he be able to start up a salon in the town? What about me finding teaching employment in SLO? I presently teach at the elementary level. We have even considered starting a business in SLO together like possibly a restaurant or some small business. Housing is a concern, but I am figuring we would probably have to rent for a few years. What are the rents for a 2 bed, 1 bath in downtown SLO? Is SLO a liberal place? Will we be accepted as a same sex couple?

Has anybody ever been to Boca Raton that lives in or near SLO? Could you compare? Any ohter tips or pointers are appreciated (neg or pos)
I think you may want to check out the Healdsburg area. It is on the Russian River north of Frisco and has a vibrant gay community.

Last edited by Capt. Dan; 03-27-2009 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 AM

8,270 posts, read 26,323,916 times
SLO has made a conscious decision to keep people out. They have accomplished that by a combination things:
- allowing little-to-no commercial or industrial growth
- allowing little-to-no residential growth

as a result you have a town full of rich retired people, longtime townies sitting on massive home equity, and college kids. Everyone else has to live in one of the surrounding towns many of which are not nearly as attractive as SLO.

As the other poster mentioned, they have kept their pop below 50k despite being one of the most attractive places to live in the country... ask yourself how that happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California