Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 20,326 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm from London, England. As you could most probs expect the weather isn't amazing here, yet London is my home, and I love the diversity, fashion, fast paced life of the city, and the summer usually brings its gorgeous sunny days, rare to be seen without a tad of rain though.

Anyway, after university, which I'm studying at, at the mo, I would love to move to california for a while, and start my career here, near to Los angeles, as that could be my main area of work.
What would you say my temprement, attitude and style needs to to be to thrive in Los Angeles. Thick-skinned I'm thinking?
Is it hard to meet new people, find housemates
How much would an apartment be in the following places: Long Beach, Santa Monica & Newport Beach
Could you give me an outline of each of the 3 places, pos and negs?
I'll be around 21/22 when I'll be coming over to LA, if need be I'll work from New York once my career gets going.
Thankyou,
Replies much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 02:53 PM

177 posts, read 706,049 times
Long Beach.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Thanks
Is it hard to meet new people, find housemates ...
How much would an apartment be in the Long Beach area?

Gracias!!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny. View Post
Thanks
Is it hard to meet new people, find housemates ...
How much would an apartment be in the Long Beach area?

Gracias!!
I don't live in an apartment or do I check the prices on them, so I wouldn't know.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
your biggest issue will be finding a job since the unemployment rate in our country has nearly doubled in the last year. once you find a job then you can determine where you'll live. long beach is about halfway between LA and newport beach, which are roughly 50 miles apart. you won't want to move to LA then find a job in orange county, that commute would be brutal.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Okay then, no worries.
Just wanted an estimate, I'll do some research me thinks!
Any reason for long beach over NB and SM though?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
your biggest issue will be finding a job since the unemployment rate in our country has nearly doubled in the last year. once you find a job then you can determine where you'll live. long beach is about halfway between LA and newport beach, which are roughly 50 miles apart. you won't want to move to LA then find a job in orange county, that commute would be brutal.
Yeah, hopefully the financial situation will have brightened up in a couple of years, though!! I'm thinking of renting/buying an apartment with a couple of housemates(if I can find people to live with that is, not knowing anyone in California) and then going on a mad vigerous job search for the next few months after that.
True! How long is the distance between the two? A few hours?

Last edited by Winny.; 03-20-2009 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Okay then, no worries.
Just wanted an estimate, I'll do some research me thinks!
Any reason for long beach over NB and SM though?
Long Beach is expensive, but not as expensive as Santa Monica and Newport Beach. Newport is overwhelmingly white, a little conservative. Santa Monica is predominantly with a fair share of diversity. It's expensive because it's by the ocean.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 AM

58 posts, read 229,340 times
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm from London, England. As you could most probs expect the weather isn't amazing here, yet London is my home, and I love the diversity, fashion, fast paced life of the city, and the summer usually brings its gorgeous sunny days, rare to be seen without a tad of rain though.

Anyway, after university, which I'm studying at, at the mo, I would love to move to california for a while, and start my career here, near to Los angeles, as that could be my main area of work.
What would you say my temprement, attitude and style needs to to be to thrive in Los Angeles. Thick-skinned I'm thinking?
How much would an apartment be in the following places: Long Beach, Santa Monica & Newport Beach
I'll be around 21/22 when I'll be coming over to LA, if need be I'll work from New York once my career gets going.
Thankyou,
Replies much appreciated
Santa Monica has a lot of British expats, I'm one myself. It's nice but has become too yuppified over the past 10 years or so. SM is expensive but I've seen lot's of 'FOR RENT' signs spring up lately due to the economy.
Parts of Long Beach are really bad, Belmont Shore is nice, LB is a much larger city than Santa Monica. I can't speak for Newport Beach

Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 AM

58 posts, read 229,340 times
Quote:

Thankyou,
Replies much appreciated
BTW you'll need a visa, you can't just land in LA and look for work. Getting a work visa is very involved and limited to spouses of US citizens, company transfers etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California