Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 PM

105 posts, read 315,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I guess you're right about that.

It still seems that good business decisions would be based on costs and qualifications. I can't imagine (but I can't say it doesn't happen) that an employer would hire someone less qualified for more money just because they were local. I try to put myself in the hiring manager's position and I would never do that (even if they had a mets or red sox or celtics sticker on their car). As an employer I would care about the bottom line: getting the job done.
It DOES happen Charles. Those states that hate Californians so much will hire locals before a Californian. Its happened to a couple of my friends and I've even read it on some of these threads. All they have to do is look at your resume and see that I gradated from a California State college and worked in CA. So to me, i'd rather stay in beautiful CA rather then put up with bull**** discrimination.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I completely agree. For me, it is about living in CA and not about house size or land size. Now, unfortunately, DH doesn't agree with me. We are trying to maybe find a compromise.....maybe not LA, but still CA?????

Still talking through it, but we have now been in NC 3 years and it still doesn't feel like home.

Dawn
I hope you can convince your husband to get you back to CA, Dawn. There are other beautiful parts of CA you can move to, besides LA. I'm sure he'll cave in soon. LOL Good luck to you

Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So explain how someone making $100k (a very good income by most standards) buys a house, supports a family, saves for retirement, etc when the median price for something not in gangland is north of $500k? What's going to give? Accept apartment life? Take on another 2-3 jobs? Live with extended family forever? Rent out the garage?

Thousands of ppl do it everyday and survive just fine!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4life80 View Post
Thousands of ppl do it everyday and survive just fine!
Thousands in a state of 45M. That's so encouraging! If its so easy, why don't you throw out some numbers?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 PM

6 posts, read 14,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
  • But found it was hard to adapt and came right back ?
  • If so where did you try moving (cons)
trying to leave North carolina and move to silversprings maryland

Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Thousands in a state of 45M. That's so encouraging! If its so easy, why don't you throw out some numbers?
Well, I'm sorry you've failed so miserably in CA. Why can't you just leave and let it go?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4life80 View Post
Well, I'm sorry you've failed so miserably in CA. Why can't you just leave and let it go?
I haven't failed miserably. My wife and I make good money. We're just smart enough to realize that'll we'll never truly get ahead in a state with such a high cost of living.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I haven't failed miserably. My wife and I make good money. We're just smart enough to realize that'll we'll never truly get ahead in a state with such a high cost of living.
Good luck to you in another state. I hope you truly find happiness as I have in CA.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Default For most of us... we did it or do it one step at a time...

Quote:
So explain how someone making $100k (a very good income by most standards) buys a house, supports a family, saves for retirement, etc when the median price for something not in gangland is north of $500k? What's going to give? Accept apartment life? Take on another 2-3 jobs? Live with extended family forever? Rent out the garage?
I posted in detail of a young couple in their early 20's that did just that... and they are only one example from my circle of friends.

They met in High School and fell in Love. She went to community college and earned her RN degree and works at County General... He went to community college and went through the Administration on Justice Program and is now a Police Officer.

They both are the first from their families to have any type of degree and their families were NOT able to help them financially.

They are 25, have a beautiful daughter, a home with a fixed rate loan and life is good. They live in the Bay Area.

Another family I know emigrated from Fiji with nothing 10 years ago and all the kids have good jobs, homes and children...

It takes a plan and for most of us it doesn't happen overnight... it takes years of working towards a goal.

Both my Brothers rented out rooms in their homes when they bought... they had to, just to make ends meet...

It is not all doom and gloom although there is plenty of that out there too!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 AM

Well I'm not 25 any more. I don't have the luxury of spending years working toward a goal. Now is the time to have kids if we're going to have them but there's absolutely no way we can afford them in California where it takes both of our incomes keep ourselves in a house that's not even big enough to have a family in. And I'm sorry, but we're not going to rent out a room in our house (even if we had a spare one - which we don't) to a stranger. We value our privacy and safety too much to do that. We are house poor. The only reason we have any issues with money is because our housing expense is nearly double what any rational person would consider healthy and practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California