U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 PM

889 posts, read 2,844,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshess View Post
I currently live in Central CA and am thinking about moving to another state.

For those of you who have left and don't feel that you will return, may I ask where you moved to? I to am having some reservations of leaving, but feel I need a change.

We have been to Utah, Montana, Tennessee, and Texas. Believe it or not, seemed to fit the best because of all the outdoor activities.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
I left a year and a half ago.I am now in North Carolina and happen to like it very much. I am close to Charlotte, the mountains are an hour and half away and we've got a huge lake for boating activities for the summer.
I also felt i needed a change, and i was born and raised in Calif.and a nice part of Calif. at that!!
I will never say i wont ever go back to Calif. because one never knows, but for now i am content and happy i made the move.
I love Calif. and always will, it's a great state but sometimes change is good

Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,692 times
Default Thanks to everyone

Thanks to those of you who replied about moving out of the state. It's good to hear some positive things about leaving the state. We are definately interested in a new adventure.

Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,241 times
I moved from San Diego to Indiana. Talk about culture shock. I spent the first year telling myself it was a trade-off and that I would get used to freezing, rednecks, and narrow-minded people. Now, not all of Indiana is full of rednecks and narrow-minded people, but if you deny that they are plentiful, you are kidding yourself. Just like I was kidding myself about that 'trade-off' junk. If you are unhappy where you are, you need to fix it.

I am a coastal person and prefer the climate, so I am moving back to CA. My hubby and I are looking at Monterey as it beautiful. It is expensive, but it will be worth the lack of SAD, frozen toes, and slick roads. Some people just aren't suited to certain climates. Example: right now it is -1 outside. That would be below zero. Ack! Can't wait to get back to CA!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:01 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,650,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfranco View Post
I moved from San Diego to Indiana. Talk about culture shock. I spent the first year telling myself it was a trade-off and that I would get used to freezing, rednecks, and narrow-minded people. Now, not all of Indiana is full of rednecks and narrow-minded people, but if you deny that they are plentiful, you are kidding yourself. Just like I was kidding myself about that 'trade-off' junk. If you are unhappy where you are, you need to fix it.

I am a coastal person and prefer the climate, so I am moving back to CA. My hubby and I are looking at Monterey as it beautiful. It is expensive, but it will be worth the lack of SAD, frozen toes, and slick roads. Some people just aren't suited to certain climates. Example: right now it is -1 outside. That would be below zero. Ack! Can't wait to get back to CA!
lfranco, I am sitting here in NE OH typing this as it is about 10 degrees outside right now. Many of us who have grown up in this type climate could have told you that and have been telling you that. You guys (in general) just honestly don't believe it and you truly do think that the cost of living is so much more in CA, that the CA people are rude and jerks, overcrowding, illegals, etc. We've been telling you that besides housing, it's really NOT that much cheaper to live here and you have the added benefit of brutal winters, higher utility bills (in my opinion) grey and gloom for months, a certain type of mindset (not all, as you said), lack of jobs in some areas, etc. Although I grew up in NE OH (moved from Europe at age 6), my husband and I lived in S. CA for a few years before moving back to have kids and have them grow up with family. We have seen the job opportunities, the people, the weather, the culture in both places and there IS a difference. At least you got to see what the "other side" looks like, and now when you go back, you will have a deeper appreciation for what you left. I think we all need that once in a while. Wishing you a safe and happy move back.

P.S. - Relocation for us (back to S. CA - San Diego or OC) will be happening within the next 1-2 years. I've had job offers in OC, especially, but the hold-up is uprooting our family, kids both in college as well as regular school. If it was just my husband and myself, the decision would be relatively easy.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,241 times
Default Moving to California

[

Would like any information of moving to California... Nice to know that it is not just my thoughts but others actions on our feelings of depression and negatives fibes from these other people in different areas when we are from California... I am from Ventura County but lived in Washington for 30 years.. Going to Moreno Valley and have some apprehensions.. After reading your story I feel I am more anxious to go now.. My name is Debbie and I would like to hear from you 509-551-0513....

quote=Cali4life80;2574740]Yes! A thread I can totally relate to. I have a perfect example of wanting to move back to where I came from. I was born and raised in CA and regrettably moved to Idaho 4 months ago. It is horrible here. There is absolutely no diversity and culture like we are so used to in CA. The state is mostly made up of white, Mormon people. Its so disappointing and depressing here. It is so hard to find a job here. I have a degree in Criminal Justice Administration and Psychology and there is just no jobs for people in those fields. The weather is horrible. The snow is dangerous and never melts. The people here are rude, mean, grumpy and just plain miserable. No one ever makes eye contact with you here. If you pass someone in the supermarket and have to walk in front of them, I always say 'excuse me' and always get no response except a mean look. In CA, I was used to people giving me a smile and saying 'sure'. I hate it here. We've only been here for 4 months and plan to move back to CA in 2 months. It was truly a blessing from God that our house did not sell in CA so we will be moving back into that house. I cannot wait to get out of this hell hole. Don't ever move to Idaho!![/quote]

Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 AM

413 posts, read 1,700,327 times
We are just tired of staring at corn.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,454,938 times
Yes, we did the Texas thing too. Stayed there for 9 months and moved back to CA. Getting a large, fantastic house at an outrageous price is overrated. The traffic was horrendous in San Antonio, they don't like Californians, the weather sucked, you learn if you have CA plates on your car to NOT use a turn signal because if you do, everyone is gonna bunch up and not let you over. There's more, but I'll stop with that for now.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,859,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
you learn if you have CA plates on your car to NOT use a turn signal because if you do, everyone is gonna bunch up and not let you over. There's more, but I'll stop with that for now.
That happens to me all the time here in California. Must be the plates. And what were you doing driving around Texas for 9 months with California plates? Don't you have to register there when you move, like people moving to California have to?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,197,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
NOT use a turn signal because if you do, everyone is gonna bunch up and not let you over.
Bu that happens here! Pick any freeway, any town and it's the same, here in California, no matterwhat plate you have on your car.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:32 PM

364 posts, read 506,931 times
Califronia lane changing procedure:

Never signal in advance. Don't turn your head to look towards the other lane (don't give away your intentions). Just move your eyes. Keep your car in the center of your lane (again so as to hide your intentions). Keep a normal distance from the car ahead (again being sneaky). Then as a space opens up beside you turn towards it and signal at the exact same momnent. If the guy behinds honks or make a gesture that's just life on CA freeways. Don't acknowledge him or you may be in for some sort of aggressive behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or