Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times

Advertisements

This might belong to the San Jose forum by geography, but I believe all Californians can relate to this story. This occurred in the upscale Rivermark development, where the scenery is lush and homes routinely sell for over $1 million. Unfortunately even the nicest communities aren't immune from horrible stories like this.

Quote:
Santa Clara, California, police reported that six people are dead as a result of what appeared to be a murder-suicide in an upscale neighborhood. Four of the victims were children, three of whom were killed at the scene of the incident. An infant later died after being taken to the hospital. One survivor, an adult female, sustained life-threatening injuries and was being treated at a Bay Area hospital.
Quote:

Names were not being released in order to notify next of kin.

Santa Clara Police Lt. Phil Cooke told KTVU News that officers responded to a 911 call of shots being fired at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday. When they arrived, they found five people dead at the scene and two severely wounded. One of the two dead male adults was found with a gunshot wound to his head.

Cooke told KTVU, "The evidence at the scene points to it being a murder - suicide. It's still early on in the investigation, but early indications are that is what we have."

As events were unfolding that would lead to the Santa Clara killings, another investigation was underway in Carthage, North Carolina, where a lone gunman had entered a nursing home Sunday morning and began shooting, killing 8 people before a police officer shot him, ending the shooting spree. Robert Stewart, 45, was taken into custody and treated at a nearby hospital for an injury sustained in the gunfight with the officer. Three other people were injured in the incident. Although no motive is as yet known, Stewart's family members believe that he probably went to the Pinelake Health and Rehabilitation Center looking for his estranged wife, who worked there.

The Santa Clara murder - suicide is also the second murder - suicide in the month of March in the United States where at least five people were killed. WCTV.com reported that on March 5, Devon Crawford shot and killed four of his five children and his wife. He later took his own life. The fifth child was hospitalized.
Story here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Stories like this one, are becoming far too common these days.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
It's probably economy-related. It's in my local paper today too. I've read this very sam scenario numerous times as of late - people lose their jobs, can't pay their mortgage and other bills, family must die to spare everyone the embarrassment.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Tragedies such as this one is becoming so common that it's hard to comment. All I can say is may they all rest in peace. Including the kids murdered by their brother in Mass and the victims gunned down at the Rest home in North Carolina. :-(

Old 03-30-2009, 04:48 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It's probably economy-related. It's in my local paper today too. I've read this very sam scenario numerous times as of late - people lose their jobs, can't pay their mortgage and other bills, family must die to spare everyone the embarrassment.
Details not released yet, but I would bet this is this the case here.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Details coming out (I'm paraphrasing and don't have a printed story to back me up) - two of them were family visiting from India, two handguns were recovered, it doesn't seem that finances would have been a major factor in the killings.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Really sad, it truly defeats me as to why this needed to happen. I hope we get answers.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Today's news says it was a family feud, not economic.

It appears the shooter had a "quarrel" with a brother-in-law visiting from India. (the killer and his family had been in the US for 15 years).

He then shot the brother-in-law and family that were visiting, then killed his own 2 children, wounded his wife, then shot himself.

http://www.mercurynews.com/localnews...es/ci_12036922
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California