U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,277,094 times

Advertisements

Well, I'd recommend looking closer to the CA/OR boarder. Brookings Oregon is a gorgeous location and nicer town than the Crescent City on the CA side. There are trees galore up there and the Redwoods are only ~ 20 miles south.

Crecent City is Ok I guess. But I like Brookings more. You may be ok with Crecent City. Either way they are right next door. The coastal redwoods in this region are my favorite in the CA.

For other options in CA how about Trinidad or further south closer to Santa Rosa in places like Jenner or Bodega Bay. Even further south there are Redwoods in and around the Bay Area like the Santa Cruz Mtns or Big Sur.

Much really depends what other things you are looking for besides the coast and redwoods as there are many options.

Take a look here on the map to get an idea: Coastal Redwoods

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM

174 posts, read 380,895 times
Thumbs down in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I know 700K sounds cheap for 1 acre of beachfront....but seriously, how many people who are dependent on the local economy for employment can afford even half that amount?
We sold our acre, with a one bedroom small cottage, 300' from the surf, and took a beating, in '09. Went for $450K. The town is now a drug-infested, crime happy place. Pot growers, for the most part economically set, have attracted a slew of get-rich-quick-thinking thugs and welfare low-lifes that clog the system, as well as the area. We were glad to be done with the place. My wife's parents bought there in the early 60's, and ,as it goes with a lot of places, it was a booming logging area, with a great fishing industry. Well, all of that has closed and left, and now its EXTREMELY hard to find work, and when you do, there are Phd's vying for the job, and at a cut rate.

Its the tale of the typical nice American town. Here once, and gone forever.
Reluctant police, no medical care of any significance, and 2 hours just to get to a Highway to go somewhere else for a day!

Last edited by middleoftheroad; 07-16-2010 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: spelllinng

Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,277,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleoftheroad View Post
We sold our acre, with a one bedroom small cottage, 300' from the surf, and took a beating, in '09. Went for $450K. The town is now a drug-infested, crime happy place. Pot growers, for the most part economically set, have attracted a slew of get-rich-quick-thinking thugs and welfare low-lifes that clog the system, as well as the area. We were glad to be done with the place. My wife's parents bought there in the early 60's, and ,as it goes with a lot of places, it was a booming logging area, with a great fishing industry. Well, all of that has closed and left, and now its EXTREMELY hard to find work, and when you do, there are Phd's vying for the job, and at a cut rate.

Its the tale of the typical nice American town. Here once, and gone forever.
Reluctant police, no medical care of any significance, and 2 hours just to get to a Highway to go somewhere else for a day!
Interesting story and sad to hear how the area went down hill. But it's good to hear the truth of what it's really like now as well as the historical sketch of the area's devolution. I know some want to paint these things with rose colored glasses, live and let live, etc... But when you see things get worse it's not always a pretty thing.

Just out of curiosity where did you move to? I see your location says Pacific Northwest. Do you find your new location much different? The reason I ask is that a significant part of the PNW was effected by similar economic factors - a decrease in logging. And there has been an upsurge in the pot trade. We visited the entire Oregon coast and it is absolutely beautiful. But the economy in many of the towns seems depressed without much going. Although Brookings was very nice.

Derek

Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 PM

174 posts, read 380,895 times
Default farther out of town....sort of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Interesting story and sad to hear how the area went down hill. But it's good to hear the truth of what it's really like now as well as the historical sketch of the area's devolution. I know some want to paint these things with rose colored glasses, live and let live, etc... But when you see things get worse it's not always a pretty thing.

Just out of curiosity where did you move to? I see your location says Pacific Northwest. Do you find your new location much different? The reason I ask is that a significant part of the PNW was effected by similar economic factors - a decrease in logging. And there has been an upsurge in the pot trade. We visited the entire Oregon coast and it is absolutely beautiful. But the economy in many of the towns seems depressed without much going. Although Brookings was very nice.

Derek
We moved up towards the Or border, near a college town, still on the coast. We are still getting out of here, and heading to a larger venue in Oregon later this year. An actual city, with a hospital, and more than two movie theatres, and a bunch of good restaurants, and book stores, and ......a low crime rate. And..........its a secret, but I will tell you that I have done a large amount of homework, and in fact, we are traveling up there this month to scope things out, and just double check-but it looks good!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 18,216 times
My wife and I will be retiring within the next 2 years and want to return to California. We're originally from the LA area but don't want to go back there. We're looking into affordable towns in northern California along the coast or close to it and we're considering Fort Bragg. We would appreciate any comments regarding living there. Thanks!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 9,046,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingtoRetire View Post
My wife and I will be retiring within the next 2 years and want to return to California. We're originally from the LA area but don't want to go back there. We're looking into affordable towns in northern California along the coast or close to it and we're considering Fort Bragg. We would appreciate any comments regarding living there. Thanks!
Did you read the thread?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,159,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklee View Post
Wow, Interesting. Thanks so much for your reply. It looks so beautiful. Any suggestions for a great place to live with in the redwoods?
Calaveras County, CA

Old 10-15-2010, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,951 times
Default re;work and living in Mendocino/Ft Bragg areas

Greeting to those who posted before; "Logan's dad" ect..
I have only been here 3 months now. I was doing Construction in S.F. Bay Area- not here. I became a caregiver for $10 ph,,sucks but? Hospitality from what I have seen is such a pulse! People are slower and let you put your foot off the curb without the fear of being ran over. People stop and allow you to go 1st at a stop sign even if they were first? Strange but true! Community spirit and helping others genuinely. Work,,um? Not here from what I have seen except lots of "farming", McD's - Salveway all about $10 per hour. Cold/wet winters too but very nice beauty and people make this wonderful!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,640,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This is really an interesting post about much of the CA coast that doesn't get much attention, except by the tourists going through.

So how about towns within lets say a 30-40 mile radius north or south of Fort Bragg - to the North Rockport or Westport and to the South Mendocino down to Point Arena. Are all these small coastals towns very similar? Is the pot culture really still that bad? Or has the law been more effective in some parts? I know Humboldt County deals with similar issues.

Derek
Exactly!!! Lets keep it that way. I enjoy driving to Ft Bragg, just FOR THESE reasons. Much less crowded then Santa Cruz and Monterey. The weather is usually better (I like the cold, misty, type beach weather).

I say delete this thread, so people don't mess up the area, anymore then it already is

Old 10-16-2010, 02:35 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,306,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyroadsagain View Post
Greeting to those who posted before; "Logan's dad" ect..
I have only been here 3 months now. I was doing Construction in S.F. Bay Area- not here. I became a caregiver for $10 ph,,sucks but? Hospitality from what I have seen is such a pulse! People are slower and let you put your foot off the curb without the fear of being ran over. People stop and allow you to go 1st at a stop sign even if they were first? Strange but true! Community spirit and helping others genuinely. Work,,um? Not here from what I have seen except lots of "farming", McD's - Salveway all about $10 per hour. Cold/wet winters too but very nice beauty and people make this wonderful!

(sorry for the several deleted posts preceding....)

But when I saw this post I couldn't believe my eyes and was so staggered by it--when I tried to respond rationally....only garble came from my poor keyboard which refused to cooperate....

But if this construction worker from the Bay Area is to be ~comprehended~ in his reply about Ft. Bragg, well....there is reason to be worried, very worried, about Fort Bragg indeed.

His post is evidence enough to keep me out of there for eternity.

Last edited by azoria; 10-16-2010 at 02:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California