Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:54 PM

91 posts, read 422,574 times

Advertisements

This is just a out there question, but why do so many people choose California when it is so "Expensive" to live there?

I know why it is our first choice right now.. and I also know that after a couple of years we wont be strapped with the job my husband has...

Yet, there are so many people that are living pay check to pay check or worse in California.. and stay.. or choose to move there anyway.

I am just curious why thier reasons are for this.

I am also curioius how so many people are able to buy land out there that make $100K or less.... It seems like all of the farming land is in the millions and there are those that only make $100K or less a year that are still able to buy this land... How do they do it?

I would be obliged as to the how.. we would LOVE to buy land near the ocean preffered...but inland is ok to.. We would like at least 2 acres... and would like a home to already be on it..
If you should know how people are doing it.. let me know PLEASEEEEE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 07:15 PM

74 posts, read 713,115 times
Ha ha, those are all good questions!
As a California native I have to say that I stay because the climate in most areas is great, there is access to everything (different climates, shopping, and culture), and the coastal towns are some of the most beautiful places you will see: Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco, San Diego just to name a few. On the other hand, you could say the same about other states so....maybe we are just masochists

As for how people buy land here...I can't say for everyone but the people that I know either inherited land, bought with multiple people, or get their foot in the door buying in less expensive areas and then moving up the property ladder.

I'm not sure how much you have looked, but 2 acres near the ocean is rare and if you do find it, it's going to be super expensive. I would definitely look inland for that kind of land if price is an issue, and depending on what you want to do with it will depend on where.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:31 PM

i would love to just have some good solid horse property... maybe a little non-commercial vineyard of my own as well... simple things.. I figured that inland would be cheaper... I guess as silly as that sounds I am not certain just how far inland is for California...
Thanks again for your info..

Old 03-28-2007, 07:51 PM

74 posts, read 713,115 times
I can give you a couple of suggestions based on what some friends have done. The area near Clear Lake, which is north of San Francisco, is relatively inexpensive at the moment (meaning 350K+ for a house without a ton of land) but growing quickly. You might also want to check out some of the rural areas around Fresno. I'm not sure what the prices look like for land but it is less than the coastal areas. Fresno is okay, it's a relatively big city and has some harsh areas, but has some good areas as well and it's close to Yosemite and Bass lake.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 AM

70 posts, read 287,811 times
Good luck finding a house and 2 acres in the Fresno area for a low price. It is lower than other parts of the state but unless you live quite a ways out in the country in a less than ideal house and area it won't be cheap. I just moved from Hanford, about 40 miles south of Fresno and land was going for $2-3 hundred thousand an acre. You can purchase a home there for 250,000 but I can't imagine it being big enough for 4 or 5 kids. I don't think it would b in a very good school area either. Unfortunately that is why so many are leaving California. If you could buy two acres with a house near the beach and only make 100,000 a year everyone would be running there! Good Luck! I love California and miss it alot, but one must follow the bread winner to new horizons.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Where did you relocate to if I might ask?

Thank you for you input on this matter

Old 03-29-2007, 03:55 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
As far as why we are here, my wife and I were born here. Costs were not so high in the past, they rose and we adjusted. I was lucky enough to have bought a home before we wed. We plan on selling within a few months and we are moving to the north and in the mountains.

Most coastal land has county restrictions prohibiting any building until you have owned it 5 years or more. Each county/city will have their own laws on building.

My parents built their house in Monterey County 9 years ago. They reduced the size of the house to 2500 sq ft, permit fees more than doubled for a house any bigger. They were restricted to a tiny prebuilt fireplace that was EPA approved, their previous house had a fireplace you could walk into. The inspector even said he would not installed the tiny one.
They had to buy a new street sign and post for a adjoining road for $5000, pay $10,000 for the local school. There was additional fees related to building the house as well, I need to get a list from them one of these days.

They bought 10 years ago, 15 acres for 35k, they get offers for close to a million monthly. My cousin bought 300 acres near them for about 200k, he has been planted grapes and we should soon see some wine on the shelves with our name on the label.

There is no permit or fees for building the barn of all things, most of CA and most other states there is no inspection or permit needed for barns. My dad made sure to build a nice 5000 sq ft barn, twice as large as the house. You are allowed to build a "husbandry room" , I have heard it referred by several different names. A small dwelling in or off the side of the barn for a vet or attendant to be on hand for birthings or whatever. They can have a full bath, kitchen, fireplace and bedroom. Can't figure out why my parents did not build such in their barn, no need I guess.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 AM

38 posts, read 151,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
As far as why we are here, my wife and I were born here. Costs were not so high in the past, they rose and we adjusted. I was lucky enough to have bought a home before we wed. We plan on selling within a few months and we are moving to the north and in the mountains.

Most coastal land has county restrictions prohibiting any building until you have owned it 5 years or more. Each county/city will have their own laws on building.

My parents built their house in Monterey County 9 years ago. They reduced the size of the house to 2500 sq ft, permit fees more than doubled for a house any bigger. They were restricted to a tiny prebuilt fireplace that was EPA approved, their previous house had a fireplace you could walk into. The inspector even said he would not installed the tiny one.
They had to buy a new street sign and post for a adjoining road for $5000, pay $10,000 for the local school. There was additional fees related to building the house as well, I need to get a list from them one of these days.

They bought 10 years ago, 15 acres for 35k, they get offers for close to a million monthly. My cousin bought 300 acres near them for about 200k, he has been planted grapes and we should soon see some wine on the shelves with our name on the label.

There is no permit or fees for building the barn of all things, most of CA and most other states there is no inspection or permit needed for barns. My dad made sure to build a nice 5000 sq ft barn, twice as large as the house. You are allowed to build a "husbandry room" , I have heard it referred by several different names. A small dwelling in or off the side of the barn for a vet or attendant to be on hand for birthings or whatever. They can have a full bath, kitchen, fireplace and bedroom. Can't figure out why my parents did not build such in their barn, no need I guess.
Very interesting info about the barn,thanks.
Wny do so few houses have pools?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM

70 posts, read 287,811 times
Oceanaddict, we have moved to Kennewick, Wa (Tri-Cities). I was willing to move here because it gets hot in the summer and very little rain. It is also built on 3 rivers, The Columbia, Snake and Yakima. We love boating and sunshine.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Do you happen to know anything about the Renton, Kent , Everret Washington areas compared to the Lompoc , Santa Maria where the Vandenberg AFB is located?

I wouldnt mind Washington in the least.. I just dont want the rain all of the time and/or the crime.. The cost is going to run me HIGH there as well so I firgure if the crime is just as bad I might as well choose the one I would like most.

Thanks for the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California