Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:20 AM

167 posts, read 876,024 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Well my husband is in the Coast Guard and we might possibly try for CA when we are due to leave here next summer.. We are in FL right now. Anyway we have lived in quite a few places along the east coast and now we are thinking it might be a nice change to go to the west coast. My husband has been to CA and says its really beautiful. I think it looks nice just from looking at pictures and seeing it on TV. I love all the hills/mountains and of course the beaches! Also, I have a son with autism and from what I have heard , autism services are very good in CA..

But, I guess I am a little worried about earthquakes. CA has alot of small earthquakes right? Are they not very noticeable? I think what I am more concerned with is a bigger earthquake. I know they are always predicting that there could be a big earthquake in the near future..

Anyway, I am probably just worrying too much, but could use any more info about CA. Thanks everyone!!

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,385,082 times
There's so many other day to day problems with California that earthquakes are pretty far down the list of reasons not to live here. Hurricanes are a much bigger problem in Florida than earthquakes in California.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,558,971 times
We have many earthquakes everyday, most are never felt. Building standards have had earthquakes in mind for many decades.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,127,728 times
Having lived in CA from birth until 23 years of age, I could count on 1 hand the number of earthquakes that I actually felt. The 89 earthquake was the one big one. I felt 1 small one when I was in high school. Felt 2 small ones in college at Berkeley. And that is it. Some people didn't even notice the 4.3 earthquake around San Jose last week.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
Earthquakes. I guess living in CA most of my life makes me nearly immune to 'feeling' earthquakes. I had a roommate who was a Colorado transplant and we were sitting on the porch one day chatting with some friends. He got really white and quiet for a minute and then asked it we 'felt that'... we were kind of confused but later heard on the news that there was a smalll 4.something earthquake and we didn't even notice

Old 04-07-2009, 01:35 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,588,328 times
Anybody who grew up in the area is not afraid if them. Most earthquakes are like a big truck driving by. I sleep right through them.
However, after living in the South during Katrina I realized all that it takes is one unexpected big one. Hurricanes may have caused more damage in Florida in the past, but you know when they're coming, and can high-tail it outta there if needed.
The likelihood of ever being harmed in a earthquake is low. But I probably wouldn't purchase any property in a risky zone.
Liquefaction Hazard Maps

Old 04-07-2009, 01:42 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,847,243 times
Please don't judge California by TV or photo's. There is a whole lot you don't see. Come first and see what it is really like. Check out the schools, the neighborhoods, the utility and gas bills, the laws, the people, the traffic, the drought, the fires, the mudslides. Maybe you will love it and maybe you won't but it's a really good idea to come here first because there are so many issues to consider.

I'm in N.Ca. and we get a few light earthquakes here and they are scary for a second but personally I don't give them much though. We've never had any damage.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,588,328 times
I think the fear about earthquakes should be about nothing but the potential for "the big one". This is a real potential, which is like I said, check the maps before you buy any place.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,975,404 times
If we all worried about earthquakes, nobody would live here.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,367,567 times
Have you thought about Southern Oregon? In some areas like Ashland and Eugene, you have better weather and access to great autism services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California