U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 29,926 times

Advertisements

I am posting a link to this article by the Daily Breeze, a So. Cal. newspaper titled 'Blame the Californians.' http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/regstate/articles/6701527.html (broken link)

I think this might generate a bit of discussion about the migration from the Golden State to places elsewhere and what contributions of that migration follow, e.g., rising home prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,396,625 times
INtersting Article

If it helps, I'm moving BACK to California!

PS - I think the article missed that another reason Californians have been moving out is becuase the % of the population that is latin immigrants (I have no problems with them, I'm just from there so I know what people complain about)

Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM

840 posts, read 6,044,240 times
Quote:
Some residents in Western states where Californians have moved say they have a "negative influence on our society," infecting the rest of the region with their politics and questionable driving, and making housing prices soar.
Apparently they have not driven around Oregonians.
Not only are they bad drivers in their own state, they're bad everywhere. Sharing the freeway with Oregon drivers in large California cities like Sacramento, L.A. and San Diego is like a game of "dodge the tourists!".

California has been an influence across the country with television/media.

Californians spend their money in places like Oregon and Washington and they have natives telling them that they're making the state worse by moving or even visiting. California money is no good in the Northwest? Is this the mentality of the region?

Funny how California culture has spread throughout the United States yet people in other states put Californians down.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post

Funny how California culture has spread throughout the United States yet people in other states put Californians down.
Having fled the "Golden State" culture when I retired, I'd like to point out that the spread of the California culture is the reason why people in other states put Californians down.

Good riddance......

Last edited by centurion; 03-29-2007 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 PM

388 posts, read 1,641,086 times
LOL

IMO, sad but true.

Part of it my be the "Equity Rich" moving in and snapping up property/homes and then bragging about how good they have it.

Part of it may be attempting to change local attitudes/outlook/culture/lifestyle to make it more California, hence the phrase "Don't Californicate (insert state here)."

Avery minor part of it might be locals resenting "outsiders".

Doesen't matter much, as the California boomers will be retiring in record numbers pretty soon, and they will be bringing their equity money with them as they search for that perfect retirement home/area.

Gonna have to be a whole lot of adjustments made on everyone's part, but I think the biggest problem will be that much of America will categorically reject the California culture/attitude.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 PM

416 posts, read 2,332,252 times
I agree! California speculators and investors jacked up Arizona. They don't even want to live here but take as much as they can and leave. I got tired of Cali business purchasing my apartment then kicking me out without much notice because their investors just want a place without rentors.

It happened too many times I am ready to get the H...out of Arizona and move farther from Cali as much as I can.

Where is a good Cali repellant state?

Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,473,016 times
I guess it's okay that California is made up of a LOT of people from EVERYWHERE ELSE!!! We accept everyone, no questions asked. Why be so hard on Californians? Aren't we all supposed to be AMERICANS???

Old 03-29-2007, 09:45 PM

416 posts, read 2,332,252 times
Once Californians stop abusing the housing market in other states, then we will all be very happy.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 PM

388 posts, read 1,641,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I guess it's okay that California is made up of a LOT of people from EVERYWHERE ELSE!!! We accept everyone, no questions asked. Why be so hard on Californians? Aren't we all supposed to be AMERICANS???
I doubt Californians accept everyone. You might, but, it's been my experience humans are suspicious of newcomers until they prove themselves to be harmless or "fit in".

I read the CA forum regularly, as my kids live there, one in the bay area, and one in the LA area. CA posters exhibit the same complexity that the posters on the other state boards do, so I doubt the simplistic view of your post, only because we are all Americans.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:11 PM

331 posts, read 1,904,837 times
I am a Native Southern Californian now living in WA. Have to share with all of you that due to the snowbirds the real estate down there got so out of hand, in the area I lived in anyway. The prices creeped up more and more with the immigration of People from Wa and Or and even Canada. People could no longer afford to buy homes. The traffic is so congested during those winter months that it made it difficult to get to work in the mornings.

One day we were so frustrated that we thought if they are all coming here then we could go there... and let me share with you.... It isn't all that much cheaper to live here. Some things are better some more expensive so financially it all balances out. BUT...what we do love is the kindness of the people of the PNW. So Thank You all for being so welcoming and kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or