U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2009, 01:11 PM

165 posts, read 610,975 times
Default Who the $%^$ are these people??

There is this unknown number that keeps calling me. They have been calling for over 3 months, every day, 6-7 times a day! They don't leave a voicemail or anything but keep calling sometimes back to back!
Even though i don't answer unknown and private numbers i decided to answer this one time. It was a black woman asking to verify my name (she had my name right) and the last 4 digits of my credit card (she knew that too). She told me i need to make a credit card payment (it's true) but i wasn't comfortable giving my information to someone with a unknown number, so i told her i was gonna make the payment at the bank. After a few days i receive my statement that says my due date is on the 15th of the month, so i was not late! This number kept calling and calling daily so i answered again yesterday. Same story, this time someone with a middle eastern accent told me i was late and had to make a payment, i told him that i just received my statement and it's not even due yet, he's like oh ok would you like to extend it to the 30?! I'm like no that's fine i will make the payment soon and hang up. Today they call me again. blah blah blah same story, i told the guy to quit calling me and that i am going to make a payment in person. He's like well you can arrange the payment right now so you don't have to drive to the bank. I told him i live very close to the bank and that's no problem. He's like are you sure you dont' want to save some gas money?(wtf!) i called him a bad name and told him not to ever call me again of i 'll track them down and hang up. They will probably call me back in a couple hours....
who are these people?? it's scary that they have my name and credit card number (last 4 digits at least). How do i track them down? Should i tell my bank? What should i do?

if they were legit they wouldn't call from an unknown number, and they wouldn't talk like that, right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 01:25 PM

301 posts, read 990,429 times
What company do they identify themselves as and why would you owe them money?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:27 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,865,577 times
Call your credit card provider using the 800 number on your credit card statement and discuss it with them. Find out if the calls are legitimate or are scams.

Perhaps it's a scam, perhaps the credit company's system is messed up. Either way your customer service can help you decide what to do. If it's a scam, contact your phone company and complain to them too.

I absolutely refuse to discuss financial business with somebody who has called me on the phone. I ask them who they are and then I call the 800 number on my statement and ask for that person. Using an extension number they gave you is okay once you've reached the known good phone number. You calling them is the only way you can be absolutely certain they are not scammers.

I hang up on a lot of calls. I don't even care if they are legitimate. If they're legitimate I'll call them when I feel like it, rather than letting them call me when they feel like it. It's my damned telephone!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:27 PM

165 posts, read 610,975 times
they are calling about my BoA credit card account. It's true i need to make a payment but not until the 15th, and i never got those phone calls before. I haven't asked who exactly they are but i asked for their number which is a 1 866 number but when they call it's unknown number.

exactly lovehound. and these guys keep calling and calling...all the missed calls i have on my phone are from them. it's just weird and rude what they do. if they were legit wouldn't they leave a voicemail and leave me their number to call them back? and something else that's suspicious to me is that i have received calls from BoA and it's always an automated message (i can tell from the way my name is pronounced, it's computer generated) very rarely they have an actual agent call me.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 PM

7,876 posts, read 9,560,630 times
Exclamation Scam

From your description it is one of several scams in operation. They call stating you have a credit issue or your car warranty will expire. Their goal is to get your full credit card number and charge against it. No credit service or warranty is delivered, it is a pure scam.

Get all your numbers on the do not call registry (donotcall.gov) including cell phones.

Personally I like to mess with these outfits - I will once in a while go through the motions of getting a live person, then will read them their Miranda Rights!

Yes, what they are doing is in fact highly illegal.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 4,443,604 times
This sounds like a total scam. So anyone can get your name/last 4 digits on your credit card via stolen mail, old receipts etc. Then all they need you to do is "pay" your bill over the phone with the rest of your card info? Don't fall for it..if you need to pay your bill, then write a check and send in the payment on the address provided on your credit card bills.

If you are unsure, then contact BofA via the number on the back of your card to confirm that you need to make a payment. Then lastly, sign up for the "do not call list"..and be done with it.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:06 PM

57 posts, read 94,163 times
I would definitely call BoA and let them know what is going on. It's always better to be cautious in situations like this. I do know that sometimes Wells Fargo calls me with an "unknown" number and I have confirmed this through Wells Fargo through the 800 number and in the bank. I would just be super-cautious if I were you.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:34 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,986,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
From your description it is one of several scams in operation. They call stating you have a credit issue or your car warranty will expire. Their goal is to get your full credit card number and charge against it. No credit service or warranty is delivered, it is a pure scam.

Get all your numbers on the do not call registry (donotcall.gov) including cell phones.

Personally I like to mess with these outfits - I will once in a while go through the motions of getting a live person, then will read them their Miranda Rights!

Yes, what they are doing is in fact highly illegal.
I am so glad I read this thread. I am getting the calls about the car warranty. The phone always ring at the most importune time. Today I waited for a person and as soon as I asked what company he was calling from he hanged up. Our number is on the do not call list. What other recourse do we have? Call the phone company number to block them?

Last edited by suzie02; 04-10-2009 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 PM

7,377 posts, read 11,499,881 times
call the phone company, they can block that number from calling. Even if you don't know their number, the phone company does...

Old 04-10-2009, 03:18 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,986,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
call the phone company, they can block that number from calling. Even if you don't know their number, the phone company does...

Thanks. I will. A number does show on my caller ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California