Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 29,286 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm thinking of moving to merced county to find a job and settle down (though I'm currently young and single). Can't afford alot of other places in CA. What is the best city to live in inside merced county?

How would you compare Merced and Turlock? What about the smaller cities in the middle (e.g. Atwater, Delhi, Winton, Livingston)? Are those any good? How would you rank them?

Thanks for all the help,
Joseph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 PM

57 posts, read 138,795 times
The economy isn't very good in Merced County right now. I grew up there and my family still lives there (Los Banos). For someone young and single, Merced County wouldn't be your best bet.

Merced and Turlock aren't much different, Turlock is close to Modesto. Turlock is actually a cleaner version of Merced, it is actually in Stanislaus County though. Delhi, Winton, Atwater and Livingston are very small cities with nothing to do.

I would recommend you try Fresno instead of Merced. It isn't much more expensive and there is a lot more to do for single and young people there. If you're looking for the "California" you see on postcards, you won't find it in Merced or Fresno. I'd look closer to the major cities near the coast, there are more jobs and more active lifestyles there. Try LA, SF, or SD. There are bargains to be found for renters in these cities who don't mind sharing an apartment.

If you do have to be in Central California, I would pick Sacramento or Fresno.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
Unless you have family in the area or can line up a job before moving, it is not a good time to move to the Merced area and try to get established.

Its unfortunate, but Merced County right now has one of the worse job markets of anywhere in California.

The unemployment rate in all of Merced County was 19.9% in February. It is likely March will be worse.

The cities you mentioned had these unemployment rates:
Turlock (Stanislaus County) 12.9%
Merced 19.7%
Atwater 20.3%
Livingston 22.4%
Winton 27.6%

Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 29,286 times
Thanks for the replies. I found a job with a friend's family farm and I can basically live in any of those cities (within 15-20 mins).

Your comments are very help. Is there any reason why anyone would WANT to live in one of the smaller cities? (it's closer to work for me)

Thanks,
Joseph

Last edited by josephgarcia; 04-15-2009 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-15-2009, 11:42 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Do a google search on Central Valley Smog. It is some of the worst air in the nation. Many ppl living and working there end up with some form of lung problems.

If you are young and single your lungs may be better able to handle it than some. I think it effects everyone differently. On the flip side you are at the doorstep to the High Sierras which are beautiful. So it is a trade off. But if you start having breathing/lung problems you will know why.

Derek

Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Depending on where the farm you'll be working at is, you might want to consider semi rural areas along Hwy 140, between Santa Nella and Merced/Atwater. The towns vary hood to hood. If you want an apartment, renter beware. Maybe best to rent a room at a rural dwelling while you look for something longer term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California