Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf444 View Post
How is Santa Barbara for foreigners? Is the local population nice towards outsiders?
I sent you a DM but thought I would answer this. There seems to be many people here from other countries that absolutely love it. Since I work on campus I meet many people who are either faculty, staff, grad student, or undergrad from another country. I have not met one person from another country that had anything bad to say about SB. I have had students from other areas of this country not like it but it was for reasons not really having to do with SB (they came from a larger area and felt this was slow or they came from a smaller area and felt overwhelmed).

I used to advise undergraduates on campus in a HUGE department so I got to talk to loads of students. The education here is fantastic.

It has great weather year round (for the most part) and is pretty. It can be expensive but anywhere is CA is bound to be sorta high.

As a student I would live in student housing (grad student housing) for your first year and then either move into Goleta or downtown SB. I prefer downtown SB (I have lived in IV, Goleta, and SB). If you need to take the bus you get a free bus pass as a student so transportation isn't a big issue. Living in student housing would be a good way to get the lay of the land and meet people before moving into your own home. If you decide to come here, check out The Hub on campus. We have great concerts/dances/comedy shows during the year.

Jill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:56 AM

6 posts, read 26,935 times
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm coming to UCSB! I'm going to have to learn how to surf....

Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I went bike riding this past saturday in santa barbara.

-Gorgeous weather. I hadn't been there in a while. The beaches looked much better than your typical LA beach.

-Tons of cute girls.

-Very laid back, beach boys kind of vibe. I think it reminded me more of a classic california surf town because of the lack of commercialization (big box stores on every corner). I think it has kept its charm really well.

-You get a good mix of people...locals, tourists, tourists from LA. Its not as isolated as other little towns. And there seems to be a lot of international people.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm coming to UCSB! I'm going to have to learn how to surf....
Excellent!

Also, check out scuba diving.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,261 times
Quote:
Hi, so are you happy you made the move to SB? I'm also considering looking into grad schools in the area over the next year or two, and had similar worries/questions. How do you like it?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
NCAA Tournament: UC-Santa Barbara vs. #6 Ohio State

Tonight 6PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California