U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,267,206 times

Advertisements

Can any other U.S. state compare to California, in terms of its magnificence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,955,699 times
Many of them compare quite favorably.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:50 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,307,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In all modesty, no. The utter diversity of landforms in California can not be replicated in any other state.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,319,733 times
No, categorically no.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 AM

213 posts, read 559,619 times
It all depends on what your definition of "Magnificent" is! I'm not a big fan of water, so the ocean holds no interest, neither do the mountains here in SoCal, which are bare, brown and ugly most of the year. Also not a fan of Pollution, smog, horrible traffic, high taxes, etc. So Yes, many other places compare favorably or are better than CA. To say that nothing compares to CA is narrow-minded.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
oh boy, another thread about the greatness of California. I am not blasting Ca, just wonder why this subject comes up every week in some way or another..

My answer, it depends on what you are thinking of when you say magnificence?

I think Ca is about as diverse in every way as anyplace in the world. There are mountains, seashore lines, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, farm land and tourist attractions, rich and poor, desert and tropics. what more could anyplace have? It also has a lot of crime, gangs, outragious cost of living, earthquakes, crowded freeways, smog (not as bad as in years past) extremely high number of illegals, a state that is more than broke, and a very high unemployment rate?

As I said, magnificent? This is a matter of opinion..

Nita

Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 AM

1,512 posts, read 7,267,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh boy, another thread about the greatness of California. I am not blasting Ca, just wonder why this subject comes up every week in some way or another..

My answer, it depends on what you are thinking of when you say magnificence?

I think Ca is about as diverse in every way as anyplace in the world. There are mountains, seashore lines, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, farm land and tourist attractions, rich and poor, desert and tropics. what more could anyplace have? It also has a lot of crime, gangs, outragious cost of living, earthquakes, crowded freeways, smog (not as bad as in years past) extremely high number of illegals, a state that is more than broke, and a very high unemployment rate?

As I said, magnificent? This is a matter of opinion..

Nita
That's why this thread is a question.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,369,126 times
We have diverse landscapes here in Tennessee too. At about half the cost of living. And they dont tell you what you can or cant do with your property! We have mountains,trout streams,huge forests, delta and rolling hills. Metropolitan areas and farm towns. If i want to see the "big water" I can be at The Gulf of Mexico in 6 hours. Having lived in both California and Tennessee, I'll take Tennessee. And all these BEAUTIFUL Tennessee ladies!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:51 AM

1,313 posts, read 5,803,734 times
California's unusual scope of latitude -- 10 degrees from north to south -- give it a range of landscape and climate found nowhere else in the U.S. At the same time, it makes it difficult for California to function as a unified state. Many would claim that California is, in practical effect, three different states that are all governed from Sacramento.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:20 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Many would claim that California is, in practical effect, three different states that are all governed from Sacramento.
And rather badly at that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or