U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,579,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
That's one of the things I love about my house. Its just a bit smaller than the one I grew up in with a big yard and lots of trees. And neighbors I even know. I had to leave the state to find the place I remembered.
All I had to do was move to South Fontana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 456 times
what are you Californians' perception on your state? does the entertainment industry impact a lot on your life, i mean do you really feel the entertainment industry or is just what people outside the state who think like that especially people from LA? is La only about Hollywood or entertainment or only a misconception?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 PM

5,235 posts, read 4,721,889 times
LA and the Bay Area is definitely not "laid back", it is "rat race city" and almost everyone is participating!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 PM

5,050 posts, read 5,882,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
LA and the Bay Area is definitely not "laid back", it is "rat race city" and almost everyone is participating!
But still, for being among the premier American cities/metro areas in the country, I would say greater LA and the Bay Area do in their own ways blend their brand of urban fast pace with laid back, outdoorsy lifestyle compared to back east.

I know I will get flamed, but back east, neuroticism and judgementalness, and overall straightjacket ways of living are just engrained there. Boston, New York, and DC. compared to LA and SF.
There IS a distinct personality difference.

What university you went to, whether you are dressed formally and seriously enough for work. Don't get me wrong, yes there is a rat race in urban California too, but its just different. There are so many opportunities to transcend that in California.

Could you imagine telling co workers in Manhattan, or amongst DC elite, lets go camping, or have a bonfire by the beach this Saturday? You would have to go through monumental effort to find people who like doing that.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 PM

5,050 posts, read 5,882,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
All I had to do was move to South Fontana.
I haven't bothered to review nightbirds posts but I wonder about this migration that I have seen amongst C-D members, but I notice, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, etc.

These are the states where many people left during the dust bowl/depression. Maybe they still had family roots, and a couple generations after their grandparents did the John Steinbeck thing, they felt that California was getting too crowded, as you can't take the Okie out of Oklahoma, but you can't take the Oklahoma out of the Okie.

BTW: I mean absolutely no disrespect for any of you who have dust bowl refugee family history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California