U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:42 AM

2,109 posts, read 5,129,542 times

Advertisements

To attempt answering your question regarding the higher salary versus cost of living in the area, well it depends on what your plans are for the area. If you're coming here to live for a few years, rent, ect etc, then 100k is a great salary. You can easily find places to rent for not a horribly large amount of money- that is unless you decide you want to live in SF itself, which means anywhere from $1500 for a studio and upwards of 2500-3k for a 2 bedroom apartment.

That said, if you have plans on moving here and buying a home, then 100k suddenly becomes a lot less. Depressingly, 100k is no longer enough to buy a house here. The loose lending practices that allowed people making not enough to buy are now drying up so that option is now gone.

There are several ways to look at it. Either rent and save as much as you can and see if prices fall enough to make it worthwhile, or save your 100k a year salary for a few years renting cheap heere and then move somewhere less expensive.

For comparison, I have a friend who works as an RN in Denver. Even though Denver isn't super-cheap, she makes 70k a year and OWNS her own home even though she's 30 and has a kid. Big difference between here and there.

California is a fun place to live, but it comes at a very high price.Try it out. You're young and you'd probably have lots of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 AM

26,579 posts, read 52,138,354 times
Thumbs up Nursing Provides many opportunities

I'm not a Nurse, but I work in a Bay Area Hospital with many Nurses and I think Nursing is a great profession for those with the aptitude.

Point in fact, I can't think of any other profession that requires a 2 year degree where a 20 year old can earn 100K starting out and have multiple employment offers.

Nursing is hard work, but also very rewarding. The competition for Nurses in the Bay Area is so great that the Hospital were I am employed will hire you if you can only commit to 2 days availability per month. Don't like where your working, not a problem. A Nurse can go just about anywhere and have multiple job offers, often with moving allowances and sign on bonuses.

I work with a young couple, age 22 and 23. Both are the first college grads in their families and combined, they earn 200k. They just bought a home in the East Bay and have the world by the tail...

It is a mystery to me why more young people aren't interested in Nursing as a career? I know I sound like a recruiter, but the 100K is just the entry-level starting pay at SF General.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:38 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,818,530 times
I know a bunch of people who graduated from Cal Berkeley, not Cali Berkeley.
Calling it Cali is as dumb as getting tattoos, lots of folks get tattoos and lots of folks call it Cali, but, they don't get much consideration from most people.

California Mens Colony, a prison near SLO, that is SLO not SLOi start nurses at $85,000. My Ex wife works for Kaiser, she started in 1985 at more than I make today after 20 years teaching, Lord knows what she makes now, she doesn't keep me informed.

Are looking for a good life style? A place to set roots? Do you ski, mountain bike, hike, sail, run, road bike, (if not why not?) then look at Tahoe Forest Hospital in Truckee, or Barton Memorial in South Lake Tahoe.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:24 PM

23 posts, read 95,327 times
Default Yes, there is a need!

I have a friend who is a traveling nurse from MO. There is definitely a nursing shortage out here, but they will work you to death. She was on 12 hour night shifts! On the up side is she had housing paid for and could live right near the beach in Carpinteria and worked in Santa Barbara. Just weigh the pro's and con's about your own health. I'm originally from Ohio so at least you will get to travel and see a bit of the country! I certainly don't miss the cold and snow!!
Susie in Los Osos, CA

Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM

67 posts, read 246,310 times
Default Crna

Just wanted to know if anyone knows of any CRNA's and how much they are making in Cali(fornia)? If a typical staff nurse is making $100K, then my guess is that a CRNA would be earning $200K?

As to the original post, I know a family member who is a "regular" staff nurse (not CRNA or APN or anything like that) in the state. She has a 4 bedroom, 2 car garage, 2000 sq.ft. single family home provided; lives comfortably; has 2 nice late model cars; and saves about $3K a month into bank account/investments.

When I first moved to California a couple years ago, I remember driving on the freeway and seeing a Mercedes convertible zip past me. The license plate read, "TAN RN".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or