Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
Do you guys think we are cool in sense?
I think NY is cool, and in certain moments I would like to live there for a spell, but then I think about the weather and the landscape and I think, "Nah."

The city seems absolutely wonderful, when the weather is good. But I love the California weather and love the access to so many beautiful places, the National Parks, the other cool places I grew up going to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 01:09 PM

37 posts, read 52,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
Do you guys think we are cool in sense?
You guys are cool and a proud blue state like us, besides all the small differences, NYorkers are our biggest allies in the country, and both states are the most hated from the rest of the US too.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:42 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
I've lived in NY and CA. Both states have their share of obnoxious people, but I prefer people in CA, as I find them more laid back and less aggressive. With that said, whenever I'm in NYC, people are extremely polite, friendly, and helpful. In fact, most people are this way towards me wherever I go, because I make an effort to smile, adapt to local customs, and I try my best not compare everything to CA.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
I've lived in CA my whole life. I've only been to NY once so far, but I had a job where I had to deal w/ New Yorkers on the phone. I think people see them as pushy, brash, unfriendly, rushed, & bold.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:12 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
I think NYers are our biggest allies too. There are lots of NY people in LA.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:15 PM

252 posts, read 518,998 times
I live in malibu /topanga area so i used to have negative view attached to them when i was kid i know a lot people from the east coast are here because of LA big city hollywood thing or are here for the mild weather. But when i think about it really not very many people have strong roots in California really. I lived in California for most of my life and I have know people whose generations at the most only go back like 3 back generations in California max..
California doesn't have the solid historical identity that new york has , its a younger state. It was first a spanish state/ mexican state , won over spanish american war. California was never popular destination for development for the spanish empire because there was not enough water , thats kind of ironic today because its still a problem today. When they figured out that problem how to get water from the colorado river and the owens valley.. most people that moved here are mainly transplants that moved here from mexico/central america (illegal aliens) Persians, Asians , Indians , and Americans Domestic migration from the east coast and the midwest and within the last 50 or so years .
While presumably New Yorkers have had same problems with illegal aliens the majority of the americans have probably lived there for hundreds of years i think but i might be wrong.

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 11-30-2014 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: change of thought

Old 12-02-2014, 02:07 PM

80 posts, read 95,705 times
God, some of you people are being hella uptight. Just answer the question >__>

When I think of New Yorkers I think of NYC first of all, and then I think, how can they deal with having so many people around all the time? Way too busy for me. Makes sense why the people are more bold. With so many people, nobody has time to lollygag around. lol

Old 12-02-2014, 02:54 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
TBH, I don't really think of New Yorkers. Plus most of my perception of New Yorkers tends to come from television/movies (produced from Hollywood anyways) aha. I mean, the characters from Friends and How I met Your Mother, don't seem to me that much different than Californians. A lot of the New Yorkers that I've worked with tend to have similar progressive mindsets, so we click easily on those matters...they're just not as laid back as us.

I remember talking to a dude (East coaster, Virginia I think) who told me that he liked Californians, because a lot of us (college educated ones) are quite intelligent without being abrasive. I'm not sure how much truth this holds, but he grew up over there, so yeah.

One thing: New Yorkers in LA are annoying. Not all of them, but a lot of them move over here and are just "NY this" "NY that". This in stark contrast to the Chicagoans, I've met...who despite their much more 'urban' experience, are quite ready to embrace their new home for what it is, and not for what it isn't. I doubt all New York implants to California are like this, but it has been a little bit too common in my experience.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:30 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I think NY is cool, and in certain moments I would like to live there for a spell, but then I think about the weather and the landscape and I think, "Nah."
The...landscape? You don't like the Catskills? The Adirondacks? They are just a few of the beautiful mountain ranges in New York. I do, however, agree 100% about the weather.

I say this as a Californian with New Yorkers on the paternal side of my family. They all still live on the East Coast, but mostly not in NY anymore. We tease each other about our accents, but other 'cultural' differences don't really come up.

To answer the OP's question, New Yorkers are like everyone else really, but I have more experienced dealing with people from South Jersey. With my limited point of view, I have noticed that they are more outgoing and more upfront and honest than West Coasters I have known. However, they are crazy and impatient drivers

I have been to NYC many times and have had good impressions of New Yorkers from the City as well, although I was shoved aside once on the street because I was just standing there...I learned my lesson from that. A local once noticed my family and I were lost in Lower Manhattan and offered to help us out - we didn't even ask. I am sure there are jerks though...like anywhere.

One thing I consistently miss from the East Coast are the Puerto Rican restaurants

Old 12-02-2014, 06:28 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
The problem with NYC is that although you're somewhat close to nature (mountains, beaches, Hudson River Valley, etc), it's really easy to get trapped in the city and never take advantage of any it. Most of my friends who live in NYC don't get away from the city nearly as often as I get out of Oakland proper to Sonoma, Tahoe, Yosemite, etc. Having a car is so much more of a hassle there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California