Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
What else? The legislature is busy introducing lots that they think is going to improve our lives.

How about regulating lead wheel weights? "This bill would prohibit the manufacture, sale, or installation in California of wheel weights that contain more than 0.1% lead."
SB 757 Senate Bill - INTRODUCED
Wheel weights need to be very dense to keep from being large. Lead is perfect. I guess if they outlaw lead we can all switch to using depleted uranium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 02:16 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Wheel weights need to be very dense to keep from being large. Lead is perfect. I guess if they outlaw lead we can all switch to using depleted uranium.
Banning of lead is a worldwide issue. All EU electronics products cannot have more than 0.1%, and many other places like China, etc... are doing the same. CA is going to do something similar soon along with various other countries.

Of course for certain purposes, some materials are better than others.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The California legislature has improved my life so much in the last few decades that I'm going to have to move out of state to escape being improved anymore.
I'm with you. If I get any more improved I'll be insufferable and likely to live forever or until the Legislature runs out of improvements, whichever comes first.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:46 PM

301 posts, read 1,510,727 times
So, as California taxpayers, you would rather foot the bill for new power plants than pass a law keeping crappy power-sucking televisions out of the state. No wonder we're in a fiscal crisis.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
So, as California taxpayers, you would rather foot the bill for new power plants than pass a law keeping crappy power-sucking televisions out of the state. No wonder we're in a fiscal crisis.
For the greater good over the longer period, the former. I have grandchikldren whose futures I'm increasingly concerned about. Patchwork solutions are just that.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:17 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
If you think that power sucking TV sets are the root cause of the problem, then I pity you.

The root cause of the problem is run-away social programs combined with an anti-business attitude. The state government mentality is tax and spend, tax and spend, and the liberals are intent to have the perfect environment irrespective of the financial cost. The burden is placed upon those who work for a living, and the benefit is to those who have no skills other than unlimited sexual reproduction and an ability to work the system.

Yeah, it's my power sucking TV set that ruined California. Yup.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Banning of lead is a worldwide issue. All EU electronics products cannot have more than 0.1%, and many other places like China, etc... are doing the same. CA is going to do something similar soon along with various other countries.

Of course for certain purposes, some materials are better than others.
There's a difference between lead solder in things that get thrown in landfills and lead wheel weights. Lead is a very recyclable material. Should they ban car batteries next? Maybe we can all hand crank our cars to start them instead.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Should they ban car batteries next?
Me being an electronic engineer I'm surprised that car batteries didn't occur to me. What are we going to replace them with? NiMH batteries and others also have environmental problems. And what about this electric car that is going to save us all? What is that going to run on? (Hydrogen and fuel cell don't seem to be likely to be available anytime soon at least economically.)

Nevertheless most countries are banning lead in solder, and the US is bound to follow soon or forget about exporting electronic goods.

Wheel weights seem to be the least of our problems. Practically anything with the appropriate weight could be substituted, although lead's density is a big benefit that the other materials don't share. I don't think we'll end up using depleted uranium.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:20 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
If California is so worried about climate disaster how about softening their objection to nuclear power? The fruitcakes who come up with these silly rules seem to love everything about Europe. Then why not follow Europe's lead on nuclear energy? France gets 70% of their electricity from clean, non-poluting nuclear energy. But if nuclear energy was plentiful there would be no place for the scientists, environmentalists and politicans who stand to gain from energy shortages and climate scares.
I live in a state that has three nuclear plants ( Tennessee ) I'm really kind of worried with the high numbers of tornados we get each year. I'm not a scientist or nuclear engineer but what are the odds of a large scale meltdown during, say.. an earthquake ?

Also, Would you say it's really safe to have a plant anywhere near Los Angeles that would put the lives of 20+ million in danger ?

Not being a smartass, seriously wondering.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
What's next? How about a charge for supermarket bags:

State lawmakers are considering supermarket charging fees for groceryt bags - 4/13/09 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California