U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-17-2009, 11:50 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,299,432 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Illinois, have lived here all my life, sad but true. I visited California for the first time this year and I think I'm in love with the place. For a long time Boston was at the top of my list, but I realized I just don't want to be cold any more . I am tired of snow, but I am more tired of that cold-to-the-bone feeling that lasts all winter.

So, my question is this: If you moved to California from the Midwest, did you find it hard to fit in and make new friends? Was it hard to adjust to an extremely different culture? If you left California (for whatever reason) would you ever move back?

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:46 AM

10,160 posts, read 14,974,315 times
I'm from Minnesota originally, then in a roundabout way (couple of stops on the east coast) made my way to California, first LA then SF. I've actually found it easier to meet people here than anywhere else I've ever lived. There are many Midwesterners here (there are people from everywhere here!) and I don't consider it to be an "extremely different culture." Of course that depends partly on where you live now; if you're living in a small town in Illinois and move to the middle of Hollywood or to the Mission in San Francisco then yes, there will be a major difference, and the same thing if you live in Chicago now and moved to some small town in CA. I don't want to suggest that the Midwest and California are alike (there are, of course, many differences), but I think they feel less more similar than do the Midwest and many parts of the east coast.

I would be happy settling down permanently in California - and had fully expected to do so - but because of family and cost of living issues we're planning on buying a place in Minnesota. If the economy was better and we could afford to fly back for visits more often then we might have chosen differently. (ironically, my dad is a native Californian, and many people in Minnesota think he's crazy for living there!) I love the Midwest AND I love California. I think I'll continue to feel a dual CA/MN "citizenship" for a long time.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:31 AM

4,831 posts, read 4,277,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I currently live in Illinois, have lived here all my life, sad but true. I visited California for the first time this year and I think I'm in love with the place. For a long time Boston was at the top of my list, but I realized I just don't want to be cold any more . I am tired of snow, but I am more tired of that cold-to-the-bone feeling that lasts all winter.

So, my question is this: If you moved to California from the Midwest, did you find it hard to fit in and make new friends? Was it hard to adjust to an extremely different culture? If you left California (for whatever reason) would you ever move back?

Thanks !
Annie, having lived in southern California all my life and then moved to TX I can give you some advise. No matter where you move don't talk about how different your new home is in a negative way. Always be positive and open to others. We have found TX to be very friendly and very comfortable but we have also welcomed the changes, weather, etc.. It is never hard to make new friends if you are friendly. It was actually quite easy in TX because it is full of friendly people. I have never come across so many people that love to talk more than myself and I am a man.

There are many CA transplants in TX so it made it a little easier an adjustment for us. CA is full of people from all over the world so fitting in should not be a problem. The economy is really tough in CA so it might be a little down compared to the past but good people don't change because of a down economy. TX has a far different culture than CA but big cities are all pretty much the same. Fitting in is never a problem if you want to. The key is that you have to want to fit in and are willing to adjust.

The only way my wife and I would move back is if our kids did and that is highly unlikely. We moved out here to be hands-on grand parents and give our younger children a better chance and a less financially stressed lifestyle.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:09 PM

3,719 posts, read 7,115,234 times
*Many* Californians are from the Midwest. My mom's whole side of the family migrated out from Michigan. Once they moved out they never looked back. They had enough snow for one lifetime.

Although my wife and I are natives we did move to CO with our three children. We have since returned and find it actually easier to meet ppl in a new part of CA and make friends than in CO. Because much of CA is a melting pot of the whole world ppl seem to be generally used to outsiders including natives like us. I work with ppl from many states and countries. And this is the norm. I actually like diversity and missed that while living in CO.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California