U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 AM

889 posts, read 2,845,718 times

Advertisements

whole Foods comes to mind which is pretty darn close to P.B.( del Monte shopping center) There is or was a holisitc type of shop in Pacific Grove as well.
Bookstore at Del Monte Shopping center and in Sand City there is a Borders.
Carmel is known to have art events.
Tourists do not completly clog the streets at all times! Fall gets quiet and winter is really quiet with the exception of events like the AT&T that goes on in early Feb.P.B and Carmel become crowded. But to live ina touristy area expect it to be "busy" with tourists most of the summer.
Clothing stores would be Del Monte Shopping center once again, in my honest opinion it will do as Macys is the anchor but i feel the Monterey Pen. aways lacked when it came to clothing choices. Take a drive up to Santa Row in San Jose and some of the big malls there and you'll be satisfied.
Typical traffic in and out of the Valley is commuter times and when kids get out of school at Carmel High.Its not that bad compared to LA.
Convinient grocrey store is Albertsons for the Valley or PB.But if you live in PB you have 2 small markets in Carmel called Nielsons or also Brunos.
If you are considering living in the Monterey Pen. area have you been there to check it all out at all?
Your questions lead me to believe you have not visited this area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 PM

627 posts, read 2,783,476 times
Oh, I have been found out ! Actually I have been there more then a few times, but I must cop to the fact that I spent most of my time there in PB golfing, spaing, jogging, napping. I didn't even know that there was anything close by (Carmel, Monterey, PG) I was so enthralled by that small little taste of the coast and my enjoyment of it. In fact I loved it so much it never occured to me if I was to move there that I would move anywhere other then PB. But once I started looking into this reality and with some feedback here the world opened up.

I have also been to Monterey (limited area) to the touristy part for a half a day and bought trinkets on the pier and left quickly with friends and then jutted back to SF. I have also driven up 101 to get to PB from LA so I have overall seen the area and love it. But at the time, I was into the Southern California sun and professional commitments, I didn't really look at it from a residential perspective so thus I am more ignorant then I should be of what is available and what it is like other then a visitor.

We will be renting a home for a limited time in PB (less then a month, to get a feel for the place and check everything out to see if it is viable), if we can find a place that allows cats ! Also will stay in Carmel Ranch Valley Inn to check out that area before fall of this year.

Unfortunate news about the clothing shopping. Oh well there is always the internet. My neighbors will get sick of seeing UPS and Fed Ex. I guess there is more to life then charting my moves by the closest available Nordstroms, Ann Taylor (not their Loft !), or Neiman Marcus--I think. LOL. Ah, my big city attitude is showing . That was the only distinguishing benefit to Santa Barbara, smaller but great shopping. I would rather live in the contemplative beauty of the Monterey Peninsula.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
Oh, I have been found out ! Actually I have been there more then a few times, but I must cop to the fact that I spent most of my time there in PB golfing, spaing, jogging, napping. I didn't even know that there was anything close by (Carmel, Monterey, PG) I was so enthralled by that small little taste of the coast and my enjoyment of it. In fact I loved it so much it never occured to me if I was to move there that I would move anywhere other then PB. But once I started looking into this reality and with some feedback here the world opened up.

I have also been to Monterey (limited area) to the touristy part for a half a day and bought trinkets on the pier and left quickly with friends and then jutted back to SF. I have also driven up 101 to get to PB from LA so I have overall seen the area and love it. But at the time, I was into the Southern California sun and professional commitments, I didn't really look at it from a residential perspective so thus I am more ignorant then I should be of what is available and what it is like other then a visitor.

We will be renting a home for a limited time in PB (less then a month, to get a feel for the place and check everything out to see if it is viable), if we can find a place that allows cats ! Also will stay in Carmel Ranch Valley Inn to check out that area before fall of this year.

Unfortunate news about the clothing shopping. Oh well there is always the internet. My neighbors will get sick of seeing UPS and Fed Ex. I guess there is more to life then charting my moves by the closest available Nordstroms, Ann Taylor (not their Loft !), or Neiman Marcus--I think. LOL. Ah, my big city attitude is showing . That was the only distinguishing benefit to Santa Barbara, smaller but great shopping. I would rather live in the contemplative beauty of the Monterey Peninsula.
Well unfortunalty Carmel lost Saks 5th Ave. and Ann Taylor. The "Loft" is at Del Monte S.C.
Since i have left the Penninsula one thing that i do love here in N.C is the shopping!!! Malls are in abundance and everything i want plus some
Great to hear you'll check it out first. Personally if i could have affoarded it i love Carmel Valley and would have loved to live there once again. ( did so as a teen) As you well know?? the Penninsula has a micro climate so it can be foggy in P.B or Carmel but sunny in the Valley.Check out the winery's in the Village of Carmel Valley.Such a quaint little village atmosphere, ooze's with long time locals and fantasitc restaurants, but then again the whole Penninsula has some of the best restaurants around, of course in my humble opinion

Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,208,561 times
Say, did Hog's Breath reopen? We used to eat there once a week, they closed it down before I left. If memory serves me right Clint lost his partners and he was involved in a buy out of Pebble Beach at the time, so he closed the doors.

A friend told me it reopened.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 AM

I think it is but someone else owns it? Not to sure myself. But yes, Clint and 50 or so other investors bought back the P.B golf course, resort etc.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:37 PM

627 posts, read 2,783,476 times
I was so excited when I heard that Clint and other investors bought back the resort. How very, very cool and commited of them! Yes, I read the Hog's breath is open again as well. Gotta love that name !

I read recently about gang activity (in a thread here) in PG. I know there is gang activity in a serious way in parts of Salinas --so very sad--John Steinbeck is one of my great mentors and his books are great teachers and inspiration--). I gather this PG gang activity was just because those kids happen to be in that area that night? But this makes me wonder how safe are the communities: PG, Monterey, and even though I know it is not as safe as either of those two communities--Seaside (if I move I'll have to go there for some Home Depot shopping after all ).

Overall the area sounds fantastic and a real honor to have an opportunity to live in.

Does anyone know if there are lots of writers in the area or functions for writers or poets off hand?

Old 04-08-2007, 07:43 AM

I think i was the one that wrote about that. There are not gangs persay in PG or Monterey rather at times it has spilled into those areas.They come in from Salinas but not to worry, these are isolated incidents and for the most part very safe communitys to live in. No where in this USA will be free of crime, you cant live in fear

Old 08-11-2013, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,785 times
Hello,
I read your posts from 2007 I believe, about moving from Santa Monica to possible Pebble Beach or Carmel....did you move? Have you loved it? We are considering the same from Texas to Pebble Beach or possibly even Carmel Valley. But, have the same concerns about weather, sun, etc.
I would love love to communicate with you IF you did move there and hear some of your impressions and thoughts, if you are willing. We are 60 and 65 years old, avid golfers and want to be outdoors in good weather, but not dreary, cold either! Thank you very much.
Jennifer and Ed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or