U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 PM

28 posts, read 27,279 times
Arrow Driving

I always see posts on here as such: "Man, you CA drivers!" "What's wrong with the drivers in Oklahoma?" "Drivers from (Insert state here) suck!!!"

And while it might be true that Joe Schmoe is from California and he cannot drive for ****, the guy in the other lane seems to be driving just fine. My point being that I think there is much more that effects a person's ability to drive than being born and raised in a particular area. You can't really analyze the skillset of drivers from an ENTIRE state based on some jerk who cut you off without using is turn indicator.

I am from California(San Diego) and I know how to drive.

See how good of a driver you are:

If you stop at a four way stop the same time as a car to the RIGHT of you stops, who has the RIGHT of way?

How long(according to the DMV) are you actually supposed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign?

You approach a yield sign at a merge, there is no traffic in the lane you are merging into...do you A)stop and look b)merge without looking C)Look in your mirrors and blindspot to be sure there is no one coming and then merge

When you want to change lanes what should you do?

You are in gridlock traffic do you... A)Honk B)Honk and scream C) Merge into the fastest lane or D)Go ahead and relax while you flip on Smoooooth Jazz 98.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,661,319 times
Only a lady and a baby are in a car and they are using the carpool lane (diamond, HOV). Perfectly legal, right?

They are carpooling? They are taking one car off the road?

Should it not be two licensed drivers and not two occupants?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 PM

331 posts, read 646,605 times
All I ask is for people to follow this one rule... SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT.

In other words, don't camp out in the left lane and block traffic even if you are traveling the speed limit.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:30 PM

738 posts, read 969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
All I ask is for people to follow this one rule... SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT.

In other words, don't camp out in the left lane and block traffic even if you are traveling the speed limit.
I agree with this as nothing upsets me more than to get behind someone in the left lane driving side by side with the person in the right lane. And no one can pass It's like they think there is no one else on the road because they never look in their mirror to even know someone is behind them. There will be 2 miles of traffic held up because of this.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:12 PM

7,772 posts, read 8,934,486 times
Here is the de facto "rule" I see at a particularly troubling four way stop near me. The north - south street has more traffic than the east - west street. The rule appears to be, if I arrived at the back of the line of cars before the car to the right of me arrived at the stop line (even though, I arrived at the stop line after he or she did) I have the right of way. Nice, eh?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 PM

203 posts, read 407,136 times
Being a former CA driver. When I first took a my written test one of the questions was when do pedestrians have the right-of-way?

1. Always
2. Only at designated crosswalks
3. Never

The answer is Pedestrian Always have the right-of-way. I answered NEVER. OOPS.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:52 AM

3,196 posts, read 3,161,401 times
I hate drivers that are in such a hurry that they have to zoom in and out of traffic. This is very dangerous. and besides, how much time do they save? I had a measurment "contest" on this with my next door neighbor. We each drove 38 miles to a destination during mild (??) rush hour. We did this three times. On the average, he arrived 4 minutes before I did. ...saving 4 minutes hardly seems like a good return on the risk for a major traffic accident.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:19 AM

26,365 posts, read 51,661,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I hate drivers that are in such a hurry that they have to zoom in and out of traffic. This is very dangerous. and besides, how much time do they save? I had a measurment "contest" on this with my next door neighbor. We each drove 38 miles to a destination during mild (??) rush hour. We did this three times. On the average, he arrived 4 minutes before I did. ...saving 4 minutes hardly seems like a good return on the risk for a major traffic accident.
Reminds me of a traffic school experience I had once back around 1977.

We all enter the room and sit down and the instructor, trying to break the ice and get conversations going, asks all of us to explain what violation we committed.

So I tell him I'm doing 70 in a 65 or something like that on the way home from Mammoth to LA. He does some sort of mental calculation and tries to humiliate me "You know you only saved 13 minutes driving 70 in a 65 over 200 miles."

So I replied, if I save 13 minutes over 200 miles and I drive 20,000 miles per year, that's 1300 minutes or over 21 hours. And if I get on ticket every five years and that's four hours of traffic school, it's worth it to pay four hours of traffic school to save 105 hours of time.

He gave me that "You little punk" look:

(image not protected by copyright)

Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM

3,196 posts, read 3,161,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Reminds me of a traffic school experience I had once back around 1977.

We all enter the room and sit down and the instructor, trying to break the ice and get conversations going, asks all of us to explain what violation we committed.

So I tell him I'm doing 70 in a 65 or something like that on the way home from Mammoth to LA. He does some sort of mental calculation and tries to humiliate me "You know you only saved 13 minutes driving 70 in a 65 over 200 miles."

So I replied, if I save 13 minutes over 200 miles and I drive 20,000 miles per year, that's 1300 minutes or over 21 hours. And if I get on ticket every five years and that's four hours of traffic school, it's worth it to pay four hours of traffic school to save 105 hours of time.

He gave me that "You little punk" look:

(image not protected by copyright)
Um...did you zoom in and out?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:19 AM

9,798 posts, read 12,391,591 times
My thoughts are to learn how the locals drive and do likewise. Yes from a freeway onramp here in California we try to attain the speed of those on the freeway before entering it. Also maintain the speed of the lane you are in. If everyone is driving past you on the right it is time to get to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California