Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 12,756 times

Advertisements

My husband & I live in a 1200 square ft. home with our 2 daughters (3 months & 2 years old). Our landlord has a band-aid theory when it comes to any type of repairs to our unit. Our rent is $1300 a month and have been there for 5 years.

2 weeks ago our kitchen sink backed up in the home 3 times. After two roto rooter plumbers came to the house, they determined the pipe was broken beneath the concrete. Besides being without a kitchen sink for 4 days prior, the landlord wanted us to stay in the house during the repairs.

According to the contractor they needed to remove the kitchen cabinets & stove, rip up the linolium tile, jackhammer through the concrete floor & cut through the only bathroom wall to replace the broken/rotted out pipe.

We argued with the property manager to move us to a habitable place during the repairs. Since my husband relies on public transportation to get to and from work we had to stay at the local hotel for $170.00 per night. The landlord doesn't want to pay for incidentals, requiring me to put that portion on my credit card. The meals are expensive as is the internet connection we've paid for daily to continue my at home business.

We're not trying to be difficult, but want to know our rights. The property manager said in situations like this the tenant either gets rent abatement or a hotel room. Is that correct? Doesn't seem right because it's not our fault the pipes broke. Can we push for rent abatement as well as reimbursement for meal & internet fees?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.
-Marybeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
You don't have to pay rent for the time your unit is not habitable through no fault of yours... not paying rent and having the owner also pay your daily expenses doesn't happen often in my experience when the owner didn't cause the problem and is taking steps to remedy it.

Do you have renters insurance? Most policies have a provision if you're forced to relocate temporarily...

You might also have the option to break the lease and move if that is what you want.

As always, you should consult with a lawyer hired to represent you so you understand the ramifications.

Here is an excerpt from CA Dept of Consumer Affairs Tenant Landlord Handbook:

By law, a tenant is allowed to withhold (stop paying) some or all of the rent if the landlord does not fix serious defects that violate the implied warranty of habitability. (See discussion of the implied warranty of habitability.)

In order for the tenant to withhold rent, the defects or repairs that are needed must be more serious than would justify use of the repair and deduct and abandonment remedies. The defects must be substantial - they must be serious ones that threaten the tenant's health or safety.

The defects that were serious enough to justify withholding rent in Green v. Superior Court are listed below as examples:

Collapse and nonrepair of the bathroom ceiling.
Continued presence of rats, mice, and cockroaches.
Lack of any heat in four of the apartment's rooms.
Plumbing blockages.
Exposed and faulty wiring.
An illegally installed and dangerous stove.

For more reading: Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 05-01-2009, 01:54 AM

4,156 posts, read 10,978,405 times
See also:

Renters' Rights - Articles by Category (http://www.nolo.com/articleByCat.cfm/catId/31250834-6A2E-4970-9EDD4DAF221A0C7E - broken link)

good luck!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:42 PM

341 posts, read 686,179 times
you could stay in you house and just not use the kitchen. You still do not have to pay rent until kitchen is usable. I know it could be annoying, but it would save you $ on a hotel.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,223,885 times
Call your local housing authority.
Your landlord definitely needs to pay for a hotel. I would be surprised if he would be required to pay for anything else, but you wont know until you contact your local housing authority.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 12,450 times
Can our landlord of 8 years keep me from babysitting in our apartment....Thank vicki

Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,223,885 times
Depends.
If it's in the lease then YES.
It it's not but you get paid then that could be a violation of local zoning laws. Contact your local housing authority.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:42 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickibanana View Post
Can our landlord of 8 years keep me from babysitting in our apartment....Thank vicki
If you live in California the answer is NO... your landlord cannot prohibit you from operating a licensed daycare in your home.... period.

As a Landlord... I couldn't believe this myself. My lease and my Rental Property Insurance specifically state business use of property not allowed.

The legislature in CA declared a daycare emergency and pre-empted anything to the contrary.

I can't even require my tenant have Daycare insurance... let alone require that I be named as a co-insured.

The key word here is Licensed Day Care. In my city that required a visit from the fire Marshall and other agencies to assure compliance.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,294 times
i live in a house in contra costa county with my father now deceased. the land lord forcibliy enterd through a window while i was not home. therre was no emergency does he have the right to do this?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:07 PM

168 posts, read 551,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varena314 View Post
i live in a house in contra costa county with my father now deceased. the land lord forcibliy enterd through a window while i was not home. therre was no emergency does he have the right to do this?
No. The landlord has to give a 24-hour advanced notice prior to entry of a home. Check the Rental contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California