Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:33 PM

32 posts, read 167,360 times

Advertisements

I am a 28 year old white single male who recently moved here from the east coast. I live in Beverly Hills now (right on the border with LA) and I work in Hancock Park. Being someone who actually gived a damn about the environment, I take the bus to work every day and don't even own a car. Ok, here's my gripe. I grew up in Brooklyn, New York, a place that I have very unfond (is that word?) memories of. I hated the nastiness , the rudeness and mean spiritedness of people there. I also hated the congestion and noise. I relocated for a brief period of time to south jersey where things were somewhat better. However the close proximity to my family was actually counter productive for me (I grew up in an abusive dysfunctional home) and i also never dealt well with cold winters. When a friend who had recently moved to CA. offered me a room in his apartment for a nominal price I gladly accepted, thinking that life in california with abundant sunshine, beautiful and friendly people would do wonders for my depression-prone self. But things didnt exactly work out that way. My depression hasn't gone anywhere and it is only intensified when I come into contact -on a daily basis- with rude and unfriendly people. I am shocked at the amount of meanness and rudeness I see in this city; this is not the California I always thought of . Call me naive, call me stupid but this has been a major letdown. My entire life I've been looking for a wholesome friendly environment but it seems to elude me everywhere I go. Is that too much to ask?

Now, an attempt at a solution. are there any towns outside LA (not too far from Hancock Park though) where I can find a friendlier environment and nominal rent?
Your help would be greatly appreciated, folks.

Last edited by luciusFlorio; 05-01-2009 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:36 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Im sorry to read about your depression.

There are going to be mean people everywhere-even in places that appear to be a veritable paradise.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciusFlorio View Post
thinking that life in california with abundant sunshine, beautiful and friendly people

I am shocked at the amount of meanness and rudeness I see in this city;

this is not the California I always thought of .
So tell me...Is Los Angeles all what it is lived up to be?

What is it with all the rude people in LA?

So Cal people = rude & inconsiderate

Why Are So Many Californians Mean, Rude, and Snobby??

Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I have an opinion about LA from the times I have visited.

Take Manhattan, squash it flat so everything spreads out, move the mountains closer and make them bigger, add palm trees, rip out most of the subway, and you have L.A.

L.A. metro is somewhat close to the size of NY metro, I can't imagine that to be quiet or stress-free, though when the smog clears the views and having such huge mountains nearby is quite nice.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM

32 posts, read 167,360 times
How are the towns in south bay (manhattan beach, redondo beach etc.) are people friendlier there?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:12 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciusFlorio View Post
How are the towns in south bay (manhattan beach, redondo beach etc.) are people friendlier there?
Yes..beach culture is much more laid back...but its still LA.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
The San Gabriel Valley is great, although could be a bit of a commute from Hancock Park (doable, though - take the gold line downtown then transfer, probably). Pasadena is a fun city and has a totally different feel from the west side of LA.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:18 PM

167 posts, read 451,499 times
you want friendly, you will have to give up pretty much any big city. its too far to commute, but head north past Frazier park, you will find friendly California as long as you steer clear of the S.F. bay area.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:23 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanMoore View Post
you will find friendly California as long as you steer clear of the S.F. bay area.
Whats that supposed to mean?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Move to the beach, and I don't mean LA county beaches. Try Orange County and San Diego County. Commute will suck, but you may be more happy. Try Seal Beach for starters, as it's the closest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California