U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 33,812 times

Advertisements

Im currently serving in Iraq and plan on buying a house when I get back. I was wondering where are some of the best places for me to live, im looking at most likley Florida or California. I want to live in an area that is not too expensive and the best area for wakeboarding and other water sports. Seeing as im 21 il want to live where there are other young people and plenty of things, any help is appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:10 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,977,020 times
What line of work will you be in? Still active duty or reserves?
What is your budget for a home?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 3 days ago)

5,504 posts, read 12,355,809 times
Have you visited either state? If so which parts did you like and why? CA is much more expensive than FL *generally* speaking. But remember CA is a huge state. You didn't say you wanted to be near the beach. Living near a lake is cheaper than living near the beach.

Check out this link to get an idea of CA prices:
CA Median Home prices.

Maybe Sacramento area or Chico would be good for you - less expensive than the coast. Also the Reno/Tahoe/Truckee area is great for outdoor sports. If you live on the Nevada side you can ski in CA and NV on the same day from the same resort - Heavenly. The mtns and lakes up there blow FL away IMO. You get to snowboard in the Winter and wakeboard in the summer. There ar a lot of young, very athletic folks in the Tahoe area.

Wakeboarding Tahoe

Derek

Old 05-02-2009, 11:29 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,410,475 times
You should seriously consider renting first. I understand the urge to buy, but given that you're young and don't know the area you will probably be better off - personally and financially - waiting at least a little bit to make sure you know what you want out of a place. Otherwise you could end up hating wherever you live, or even if you like the overall location you'll discover that all of your friends live on the other side of town and that you wish you lived in a different neighborhood. Why the rush to buy?

Oceanside (north SD county) has lots of current and former military people (it's next to Fort Pendleton), as well easy access to the water. I don't know about prices - probably not cheap - but may be worth investigating.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:34 AM

I will be in the Army Guard for 2 years after I get back but will likley get an Intel related job or business related job. I do like the dry heat of California over the humidity of FL but dont want to live in an expencive area, it would be nice to live near the beach but I dont know of any non-expencive areas near the beach. I want to live in an area where it is warm all year round im not into winter sports like I am the summer.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:38 AM

I most likley will start with renting to try an area out first as of now the only way I can get info is this way. Does anyone know what state is the biggest for watersports, wakeboarding in perticular?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 3 days ago)

5,504 posts, read 12,355,809 times
If you want to focus on wakeboarding that usually is best in areas with a lot of lakes and rivers. And for year round warmer weather CA, TX, FL are probably best. If I was in my twenties again I would definately be checking out kiteboarding. It combines a lot of cool water sports in one. And you all you need in wind and water. No boat required.

As far as the best state that really depends on other things like best jobs, weather, friendly ppl, young ppl, affordable housing, and other factors. I mean wakeboarding itself similar to waterskiing can be done anywhere that there is a lake which allows it. The other things will make it the best for you vs. someone else.

Best advice is to narrow down the cities where you like the weather, can find a job, its relatively affordable, etc... Then visit them first hand.

For CA check out Sacramento and surrounding towns. I have friends who wakeboard up there and like living in the outlying area. Also take a look at Chico and Oroville areas. Both are much more affordable than the coast and have other young ppl, jobs, etc...

I would post a similar question on the FL forum as well.

Derek

Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,041,012 times
Sacramento. Rivers, lakes, the Delta. reasonably affordable. I'm not overly familiar with Sac. I understand that Davis is a nice town.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:54 PM

26,085 posts, read 28,484,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomba101x View Post
Im currently serving in Iraq and plan on buying a house when I get back. I was wondering where are some of the best places for me to live, im looking at most likley Florida or California. I want to live in an area that is not too expensive and the best area for wakeboarding and other water sports. Seeing as im 21 il want to live where there are other young people and plenty of things, any help is appreciated, thanks!
I think you're probably better off in Florida. Even the "cheap" areas here (like Sacramento) are still more expensive than the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or