U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,467,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Great map! At 13 meters, the following cities no longer exist.

Miami
Fort Lauderdale
Jacksonville
Tampa
New Orleans
Charleston
Norfolk
Brooklyn
The Bahamas (all of it)
and... Sacramento!

Crap.

It's funny yet sad to realize that Sacramento is standing on lower ground than either San Fran or Los Angeles. Then again, it's far enough inland that a giant wall and damn could be constructed around Vacaville.
Crap is right. Its in the Sacramento Delta, the largest on the west coast of North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 04:20 PM

557 posts, read 355,107 times
For me I love CA if just for the history, sites, people, Hollyweird, LA, close to Vegas and Reno, etc.
I did not like Miami, and other places like Tampa did not impress me.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:20 PM

17,413 posts, read 10,495,991 times
Quote:
Great map! At 13 meters, the following cities no longer exist.

Miami
Fort Lauderdale
Jacksonville
Tampa
New Orleans
Charleston
Norfolk
Brooklyn
The Bahamas (all of it)
and... Sacramento!

Crap.

It's funny yet sad to realize that Sacramento is standing on lower ground than either San Fran or Los Angeles. Then again, it's far enough inland that a giant wall and damn could be constructed around Vacaville.
But that is 100 years from now, sooooooo no impact on me in any of those places and who knows if the ice caps will:

Stop melting
Grow back
Stay as they are now.

Change is a constant.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,234,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Relax buddy, don't be offended I make fun of the far right wingers who wear tin foil hats too, you're just on the opposite end of the spectrum. In reality, California one detach from the US and float away and Florida won't be buried under the sea. The odds of a mega earthquake destroying San Francisco or Los Angeles or a mega hurricane destroying Miami within our life time is 1,000,000,000,000,000x higher than either scenario. However, at least a hurricane will give you lots of time to evacuate, where as an earthquake, you just better hope you are in the right place at the right time.
By 2050 I'd wager that all new construction of buildings or infrastructure will be completely earthquake resistant, and most inhabited structures will be retrofitted to withstand any earthquake.

Modern Technology grows at an exponential rate, meaning with all the advancements we've made in the last 50 years it could take less than 20 from now to achieve the same thing.

But those storm surges tho.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:16 AM

37 posts, read 36,843 times
I lived in FL for 16 years. I have lived in CA for 1 year. California hasn't won me over yet. Florida's trees, greenery, aqua blue warm beaches, white sand, breathable air, and interesting weather are plus points for me. The quality of the roads is also better than California's.

For me, the only plusses in the California column are no bugs and great camping. The places that I would love to live (Eastern Sierras!) are too remote with few job opportunities. Maybe more will be revealed, but so far all I see in the more populated areas are ugly gang aesthetics, bad air, concrete with brown yards, unsustainable inequality, and hellish 2-hour commutes.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:22 AM

430 posts, read 674,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But that is 100 years from now, sooooooo no impact on me in any of those places and who knows if the ice caps will:

Stop melting
Grow back
Stay as they are now.

Change is a constant.
The melting of ice sheets is constant. It's not a random occurrence like an earthquake or hurricane.

Miami, Tampa, and much of the rest of the coastline of Florida (and yes, it looks like Sacramento) start being underwater at a mere 4 meters, which is possibly far less than 100 years away. Didn't you want to leave your house to your children and grandchildren? Guess not.

And if you followed the science at all, you'd know there's 0.0% chance of the ice sheets (I was wrong to say ice caps, which hold much less water than the ice sheets) "growing back" or "staying the same" with all the CO2 and methane that is currently in the air. Science is not random, rather it is very predictable once we know the variables at work.

The only chance is if we find a way to literally suck CO2 out of the air with some kind of new technology. Unless we do that, the "change" can only go in one direction on this issue. Megatrends like this don't suddenly reverse course, especially since we know for a fact it is caused by the CO2 and methane in the atmosphere that wasn't there 50 years ago.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:35 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,155,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful_mess View Post
I lived in FL for 16 years. I have lived in CA for 1 year. California hasn't won me over yet. Florida's trees, greenery, aqua blue warm beaches, white sand, breathable air, and interesting weather are plus points for me. The quality of the roads is also better than California's.

For me, the only plusses in the California column are no bugs and great camping. The places that I would love to live (Eastern Sierras!) are too remote with few job opportunities. Maybe more will be revealed, but so far all I see in the more populated areas are ugly gang aesthetics, bad air, concrete with brown yards, unsustainable inequality, and hellish 2-hour commutes.
CA has a lot of job opportunities for people in STEM fields, Florida on the other hand is not a great place for high wages, opportunity in STEM at all, it has it's pockets but even then salaries are often below market if you can land a job.

South Florida is becoming very expensive, commutes are getting worse and people keep moving in. Miami traffic is horrid and while there are some nice parts, you see a lot of poverty and people who fill jobs for what Florida is noted for, low paying service jobs and barely can afford the median rents.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
The melting of ice sheets is constant. It's not a random occurrence like an earthquake or hurricane.

Miami, Tampa, and much of the rest of the coastline of Florida (and yes, it looks like Sacramento) start being underwater at a mere 4 meters, which is possibly far less than 100 years away. Didn't you want to leave your house to your children and grandchildren? Guess not.
My daughter would be dead by then and no grandchildren so no one to leave a house to.

Sooo a "what me worry" attitude fits.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post

South Florida is becoming very expensive, commutes are getting worse and people keep moving in. Miami traffic is horrid and while there are some nice parts, you see a lot of poverty and people who fill jobs for what Florida is noted for, low paying service jobs and barely can afford the median rents.
It will take a while and then the Miami area will be as bad as OC/LA is now as to traffic.

While there are a lot of high paying Jobs in So Cal, as an example, there are also a huge number of poor paying jobs and with the population difference between the areas, CA may numerically not be that far ahead, when COL is factored in. It isn't easy to pay the OC median rents either.

If you are young, try CA and grow with the area, if you are retiring, FL offers a whole lot more as CA is in the top 5 for worst States to retire in economically.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:00 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,155,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It will take a while and then the Miami area will be as bad as OC/LA is now as to traffic.

While there are a lot of high paying Jobs in So Cal, as an example, there are also a huge number of poor paying jobs and with the population difference between the areas, CA may numerically not be that far ahead, when COL is factored in. It isn't easy to pay the OC median rents either.

If you are young, try CA and grow with the area, if you are retiring, FL offers a whole lot more as CA is in the top 5 for worst States to retire in economically.
Problem is it's already quite bad and there is no room to grow, no new roads planned or going in, a lot of people do not have car insurance either which is why car insurance rates are so high. A lot of people leave and move further north but even those parts getting bad and more expensive.

Retiring to South Florida is not what it use to be for many, unless you have a lot of money and a good pension, it's becoming difficult and many opt to go to more affordable locations in the State.

The rents and salaries often are all relative, jobs in Florida historically pay very low wages even for those in STEM, for what Apartments cost in Miami in a safe or nice part of town, many just getting started may end up paying 40-50% of their income on rent and there really isn't big influx of companies moving in to fill the void, many are just staying put in SF and Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or