Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 06:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready for something drastic when the time comes to pull the trigger. The Llano Estacado, or the Western OK Panhandle. Go East not-so-young Man ... for my cash out I'll have a working ranch, near a great rural town, and yet, closer to skiing than I am now.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:52 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I like California. Simple. I live in a beautiful area near the ocean (I can hear the waves from my house), I have a very manageable cost of living and have zero desire to have the newest SUV, the largest tv or a 5 bedroom house. Me and my soon to be husband don't want children and we like living the 'green organic' life, and that's what we find here. It's not for everyone, but some people will never be happy no matter where they live.
The Elfin Forest is quite nice but isn't it foggy most days of the year there?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
Already got my cheap home waiting for me back in Texas. I'm ready to pull out of California if things go sour.
Which part of Texas would you recommend? I need some trees!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
Which part of Texas would you recommend? I need some trees!
You might like to take a look at the Austin hill country area, or The Woodlands, just to the north of Houston.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
The Elfin Forest is quite nice but isn't it foggy most days of the year there?

I wouldn't say most days. Personally, I like the fog although many people probably wouldn't. Lately it's been absolutely beautiful blue skies. I went to North County to visit a friend in Paso and it was miserable out there... I now remember exactly why I moved away from the heat. I'll take fog over heat ANY day.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
So Arnold is going to release 40,000 prisoners if his monstrous budget is not passed; I say no one will notice because the crime is already so bad more criminals won't make a dent. He will also probably close the libraries, cut the police and fire departments; that is what politicians always do, scare the public but never touch the aid to illegal aliens, the insane government pension plans and the bureaucrats. Legalizing pot will only add tens of thousands of drugged out hippies that will never work again or pay taxes.

I would say Maricopa county in Arizona is a good place to move to; it will take another 20 years to look like Los Angeles.

Last edited by roosevelt; 05-12-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
It's 38,000 non-violent inmates, and half of them are illegal immigrants and will be released to federal authorities for deportation (after probably years of appeals). With a little luck the 19,000 inmates released here will be pot smokers, car thieves and burglars. It could be worse though. If he releases these inmates, what's he going to threaten us with next time? Release 99,000 sex offenders, murders and bank robbers?

That is just so lame that he's threatening us with this. I can just see the meeting where they thought that up. Arnold says "What are we going to do to get these measures passed?" One of his consultants suggests "Let's threaten to unleash pestilence, famine and a pox of boils on the voters!"

And then there's the Schwartzenegger recall... Schwartznegger was the un-Davis so I guess people want the un-un-Davis now. If you keep changing governors and the sad situation doesn't improve, maybe it's not the governor?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If you keep changing governors and the sad situation doesn't improve, maybe it's not the governor?
Now why didn't I think of that?

For as long as you have coin-operated government, aka: politicians, the labor unions will continue to prevail. The state will continue to founder.

Welcome to California, owned and operated by the Teachers Union, SEIU, Prison Guards Union and Fire and Police Unions!

I have to wonder if it all really matters. Soon it will be Mexico's problem!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:47 PM

212 posts, read 640,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Upon arriving here, I was completely overwhelmed by all the people, the massive freeways and how the megalopolis doesn't end. Everyone insisted I give it two years and I "will never want to live anywhere else blah blah blah.".......... Another issue is the insane fast pace and the fact that home ownership is just not a possibility.......While I do enjoy the sunshine, I miss the rain.
Exactly!
I am from Pittsburgh; moved here 3 years ago, and am at the point where I just can't stand living here anymore.
People said the same thing to me before I left: You'll never be back, once you live in CA you won't want to leave. As it turns out, each day spent here in CA reinforces my decision to go back to Pittsburgh.
And yes, why is everyone in such a freaking hurry here??

Anyway, this discussion has some good points, but many are political in nature, such as taxes, immigration, corrupt government, etc etc....
My reasons for wanting to move back to Pittsburgh are very simple:
Miss my family
Miss my friends
Miss Pittsburgh itself

Old 05-12-2009, 03:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathegg88 View Post
Exactly!
I am from Pittsburgh; moved here 3 years ago, and am at the point where I just can't stand living here anymore.
People said the same thing to me before I left: You'll never be back, once you live in CA you won't want to leave. As it turns out, each day spent here in CA reinforces my decision to go back to Pittsburgh.
And yes, why is everyone in such a freaking hurry here??

Anyway, this discussion has some good points, but many are political in nature, such as taxes, immigration, corrupt government, etc etc....
My reasons for wanting to move back to Pittsburgh are very simple:
Miss my family
Miss my friends
Miss Pittsburgh itself
Where I am people don't seem to be in a hurry... if you move to a large metro area, then that's what you get. I stay FAR away from those areas and I'm perfectly content. Not all of California is rush rush rush, congested with traffic/people etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California