Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's 38,000 non-violent inmates, and half of them are illegal immigrants
Is this an accurate stat or a guess? Where did you get that info from? Just curious...

Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
...and I'm perfectly content. Not all of California is rush rush rush, congested with traffic/people etc.
Quite so. And not all California locales are flush with $1-4+ million homes/estates.

I suppose I could be content in such a neighborhood as well, but I doubt it!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Is this an accurate stat or a guess? Where did you get that info from? Just curious...
The figure sort of stuck in my head, from California news stories in the last week. I'm an electronic engineer and computer programmer and I have a way with numbers.

State weighing cost-cutting plan to release 38,000 inmates (L.A. Times, May 7th, 2009).

What really surprised me was when I was googling up a link for you and I discovered this item: California Gov. Schwarzenegger May Free 20,000 Inmates to Save Money (Fox News, Dec. 21, 2007, quoting the Sacramento Bee). So our dear governor has been pulling this **** for years!!!

"Give me your money or I'll unleash hardened criminals on you!!!" (Fake quote of course!)

This just keeps getting better and better.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...Soon it will be Mexico's problem!
That, or Mexico will simply become more our problem.

To be honest, I still don't see a way to effectively slow illegal immigration from Mexico without addressing the root of the problem - Mexico's poor economy. It just seems not matter how much money is thrown at it, the underlying problem will just force us to spend even more and see poor results. At some point, we'll have to decide if we have the stomach to shoot men, women and children crossing the border looking for basic opportunities not available to them in their own country.

In any event, it needs to be addressed. And I think the politicians (both at the state level and federal) are simply too scared to tackle the issue. They don't want to have to deal with the human element - we all remember Prop 187 and the idea that a politician would suggest a person be denied medical attention at a hospital and be allowed to die just because they're illegal. Remember the outrage that caused? Now why would any politician in their right mind want to touch that with a 10-foot pole?

Ahhh - too far off topic I suppose. CD has a whole forum dedicated to this subject.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
The figure sort of stuck in my head, from California news stories in the last week. I'm an electronic engineer and computer programmer and I have a way with numbers.

State weighing cost-cutting plan to release 38,000 inmates (L.A. Times, May 7th, 2009).

What really surprised me was when I was googling up a link for you and I discovered this item: California Gov. Schwarzenegger May Free 20,000 Inmates to Save Money (Fox News, Dec. 21, 2007, quoting the Sacramento Bee). So our dear governor has been pulling this **** for years!!!

"Give me your money or I'll unleash hardened criminals on you!!!" (Fake quote of course!)

I'll check that link - thanks for the info.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
That, or Mexico will simply become more our problem.

To be honest, I still don't see a way to effectively slow illegal immigration from Mexico without addressing the root of the problem - Mexico's poor economy. It just seems not matter how much money is thrown at it, the underlying problem will just force us to spend even more and see poor results. At some point, we'll have to decide if we have the stomach to shoot men, women and children crossing the border looking for basic opportunities not available to them in their own country.

In any event, it needs to be addressed. And I think the politicians (both at the state level and federal) are simply too scared to tackle the issue. They don't want to have to deal with the human element - we all remember Prop 187...
Proposition 187 was California trying to deal with a defective federal policy regarding immigration and its social costs. It's not really surprising that it was struck down by the courts, although perhaps not for this reason: the federal government should address it. It's mind boggling that they still ignore it.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
I feel I owe it to my future kids to raise them in a place where they stand a chance.
You're a smart woman, AK girl. CA in general is not a good place to raise kids unless you have gobs of money, and maybe not even then.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:

These prisoners are non-violent offenders (mostly drug dealers and users), many of whom will be moved over to country prisons.

There are more people incarcerated in the United States than any other country in the world - - and the average cost per prisoner per year is $45000. One in every 100 American adults is currently behind bars. It's ridiculous how prison-happy this country is.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
It's ridiculous how prison-happy this country is.
It's ridiculous how theft happy, drug happy and gang-banging this country is; says the former cop!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
It's interesting, from the earlier era of the nation, lawlessness gradually decreased, probably right into the 1960s. Then the trend reversed. Oh sure there have been some temporary improvements, but many people now have a lawless attitude. Need more real sheriffs, plus more armed folks. An armed society is a polite society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California