Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I agree, I never really get that, but I suppose it could start to affect us if fire and schools get cut.
Well that part is totally true. Obviously.

But just by saber rattling and arguing for the news cameras is hardly cause for alarm. Its just political posturing by legislatures to their base than something that should hurt my quality of life.

Quote:
The city I live in is bankrupt, is losing it's police force, is not repairing roads, those are things you definitely notice every day.
I dont think California cities are alone in their budget problems. Its just that revenue loss due to the real estate mess has hurt us more. But this is only for the time being. This too shall pass.

I dont fault anyone for leaving or wanting to leave. A person does what they think is best for their familes-that's what matters at the end of the day.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:45 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont think California cities are alone in their budget problems. Its just that revenue loss due to the real estate mess has hurt us more. But this is only for the time being. This too shall pass.

I dont fault anyone for leaving or wanting to leave. A person does what they think is best for their familes-that's what matters at the end of the day.
totally agree, although San Diego's particular problems were in place well before the recession and actually were happening all through the boom years.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:53 PM

434 posts, read 988,197 times
Quote:
That's solvable by repealing the need for a two thirds majority required to pass the budget. A simple majority would work just fine.
How will that necessarily solve the yearly unbalanced budget problem, other than give the Legislature a clear path to raise taxes through the roof? We borrow to patch in good years and in bad. Voters don't help by OKing bond measures year after year.

I agree that the media made too big a deal about the budget, but for different reasons. A lot of the news seemed to be about how awful it was that there was a budget stalemate, not about the underlying issues that got us there (chronically higher spending than revenue and why).

Property taxes form a big chunk, but that's not a state's only means of collecting taxes. Calif makes up for that in other ways.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:26 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
"All of you will be back, the complaints about CA are trivial."

is basically the same as saying

"I'm right you're wrong"

Does that make sense?
It makes sense to me!

Quote:
That's solvable by repealing the need for a two thirds majority required to pass the budget. A simple majority would work just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Simple majority to pass a budget = 15% sales tax, $1000/yr car registration, $2/g gasoline tax, etc.
Escape has it exactly right. That two-thirds rule is the only thing that has saved the state up to now from putting the full "tax and spend" plan into action. That's one thing that's scaring the hell out of me. What happens if the Republicans lose just one seat in each house? That's a lot easier than changing the two-thirds rule.

All those Republican supporters who got mad because their Republican congressmen bowed under and agreed to the new budget, you know how many Republicans have said they are going to vote their incumbent congressmen out of office and get new Republicans who won't cave in? What a joke! Those elections are likely to go to Democrat candidates, and the Democrats will gain a guaranteed majority. Once that happens Republicans might as well give up voting.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hmmm, I sometimes wonder what this forum be like once Crumugeon, Lovehound and Escape finally escape.LOL... Just promise you will be honest when you move to your next destination and call it like it is. Remember, no place is perfect, at least not on this planet. But it is fun exploring anyway so happy trails on your next journey.

4beanie, my wife and I had the strong desire to leave CA and we did to CO. Now we are back. And we don't regret the move out there one minute. It was truly a fun time and a nice opportunity to live in another part of the country. I eventually realized I missed the coast too much to stay for good, amoung other things. So I wanted to move to Portland next. But my wife really missed her family so Monterey was a good place for us to land back here. Now we have wide open spaces like we grew to love in CO, but the benefits of CA weather and the coast. I also had an opportunity to advance in my career which helped in making the move back an easier sell.

Lets face it, Californians are leaving in droves and it will continue. Nothing new here. Thats actually healthy for CA. Many states are getting huge influxes of Californians. So if you are thinking of going why not give it a try. Just remember there is no true ShangriLa. You are basically trading one set of pros/cons for another. And while you think you may understand an area's cons you really never do until living there and experiencing a full Winter or Summer. And there are *many* other factors beyond weather to consider like sub cultures (cowboy, Native American, redneck, hillbilly, etc...), lack of a multicultural environment, food, geographical diversity, openess to outsiders, distance from family and on and on it goes. But why not give it a go? At the very least if you don't like it you will end up appreciating the good parts of CA that you don't really miss until you are gone.

Derek
Hey bub, what ch'all got aginst uz hillbillies?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It makes sense to me!

Escape has it exactly right. That two-thirds rule is the only thing that has saved the state up to now from putting the full "tax and spend" plan into action. That's one thing that's scaring the hell out of me. What happens if the Republicans lose just one seat in each house? That's a lot easier than changing the two-thirds rule.

All those Republican supporters who got mad because their Republican congressmen bowed under and agreed to the new budget, you know how many Republicans have said they are going to vote their incumbent congressmen out of office and get new Republicans who won't cave in? What a joke! Those elections are likely to go to Democrat candidates, and the Democrats will gain a guaranteed majority. Once that happens Republicans might as well give up voting.
The libs posting here are part of the problem. Either they are carpetbaggers, or, are natives who are so urbanized / Easternized that they just don't get it.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:11 PM

341 posts, read 688,940 times
Quote:
What mess?
financial mess and wanted taxpayers to fix it

Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
financial mess and wanted taxpayers to fix it
I dont think most people even feel it.

As I stated earlier, what I do find incredibly odd is this notion that people are actually going to leave the state for this reason. That doesnt make sense at all.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 PM

341 posts, read 688,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The pull to leave Southern California isn't as great now as it was three years ago, from a purely housing economic standpoint.
If your family is still in SC, then there could be emotional things to deal with including guilt.
As bad as things are in SC, it is still a huge economic engine, you can almost always find a job. And, with the exception of some key, but large industries (finance, construction), things might not be as bad as things sound. Engineering and health care aren't doing bad at all.

Now, the good things about leaving. If you have a good job in many other cities, then you will be able to live for about half as much (or twice as nice a home).
Other costs aren't going to be that much different (heating or cooling may be the biggest things)
I don't think the weather in most parts of the country is that bad as long as it isn't totally extreme (Alaska, North Dakota, Tucson). I lived in Colorado Springs and now Huntsville and I liked both places' weather. Still, I'd rather have California weather.

If you are used to the culture and diversity of SC, then you probably want to make sure you are near a bigger city in Texas or any other place.

Your profile isn't populated:
Are you retired?
What line of work are you in?
What is your budget for housing?
Kids? Ages?
Where are your parents? Who is going to take care of them?
What is "Plan B" if you don't like the move?
We live in the foothills in No Ca we are retired but are in our early 50's The house budget has nothing to do with our moving. We own our home here no mortgage and plan on renting it out while we try out other area. The biggest problem is we have two kids here, but one in Oklahoma. Parents want to go with us. We looked at Texas because it has no state income tax, close to one kid (Also one kid and spouse here may go with us do to job losses) we are conservative (we all know how that feels to be conservative and live in this state. we've been told many times here that our vote does not count. We made an offer on 16 acres with an older (70's)house 1 hour from Dallas near Tyler listed at 159,000. Property taxes would be about 2,000 per year. Everyone always says the prop taxes are high in Tx, but you get so much more house and property for the money. Our prop taxes here are 5,000 and income tax 5,000, car registration for 3 cars here 1,000 more than there. So financially we save aproximately 10k a year. But the biggest reason is that are values are in such a minority here. We love our home here but is it enough

Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
I dont think most people even feel it.

As I stated earlier, what I do find incredibly odd is this notion that people are actually going to leave the state for this reason. That doesnt make sense at all.
The common thread seems to be people that feel this way are often highly conservative and have some sort of idealogical opposition to the way government is run. That's more of a philosophical discussion than a reason to pick up your life and move, but people honestly do seem to care that much.

To rearrange your your life like that because if some political ideology is insane to me. I mean... what are you going to do... move every time someone you don't like gets elected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California