Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
turning this discussion into liberal vs conservative makes you seem crazy. There are plenty of conservatives in places like NY and MA and they don't abandon their homes and move to Texas. That's just plain silly.

When you go down that road, you come off like crackpots. It makes it seem like you are not really serious about making a move, that you are just ranting and raving.
I'm not sure if you are referring directly to me, but I'll give it a shot.

It's not really liberals vs. conservatives as much as the state congressional Democrats support all kinds of programs that require more money, and obviously higher taxes are required to finance these programs. The Republicans on the other hand think that the state budget and our taxes are too high, but the only way to reduce taxes is to reduce spending which will force a reduction in the size of the programs that the Democrats want.

Honestly I don't care one way or the other about any of these programs, and if there were infinite money I'd say let's have 'em. The problem I have is that I think taxes are too high, and I mean taxes in all their forms: increased sales tax, increased auto registration tax, high property taxes, income taxes, gasoline taxes. They are in my opinion all too high, and to pursue the Democrat's programs they will have to go even higher.

Not only do taxes become burdensome, but taxes are often passed on by businesses (e.g. higher payroll taxes causing them to raise their prices) and that makes everything we buy more expensive not only for the increased sales tax but also for the hidden increased cost of doing business in the form of increased sales price.

So it's not really a liberal vs. conservative thing for me as much as it's that everything is too expensive and getting more expensive every day. I believe that the actions of the Democrat party accelerate the increases in the cost of living, and that the opposition by the Republican party slow the increases down.

I'm not arguing whether or not we should have these programs. I'm just saying it's too expensive to have them.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
We moved from central CA to the Denver area in 2007. Good thing we got out when we did, or we'd be stuck there now. When we moved, the housing prices in Fresno were higher than in the Denver suburbs. Now, they've switched. If we still had our house in Fresno, there is no way we could sell it and move here, and get anything comparable.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

I'm not arguing whether or not we should have these programs. I'm just saying it's too expensive to have them.
You haven't mentioned one single thing that affects you directly. That's I'm we're talking about. Who sells their house because they disagree with state government, that is ridiculous!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
You haven't mentioned one single thing that affects you directly. That's I'm we're talking about. Who sells their house because they disagree with state government, that is ridiculous!
My sentiments exactly.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
My sentiments exactly.
And then what happens when you move to state X, and someone you don't like gets elected, and your tax dollars go to some project you don't like... do you pick up and move again?

EVERYONE complains about how their tax dollars are spent. That's universal.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 AM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Good for you PaddyMac, sounds like you are enjoying NM as much as we are. We live in Placitas and loving it. I was just in Sandia Park yesterday at Paa-Ko, it was a gorgeous NM day, sunny and breezy, and I was driving for miles with no traffic!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I did say what affects me directly. High taxes and cost of living.

And you're not reading my posts. I've lived in L.A. my entire life. I'm tired of it. I don't want to live in such a big city anymore. I want to move to a prettier, smaller, quieter place, hopefully one with a lower cost of living.

Go ahead and tell me that it's no more expensive to live in L.A. than in any other place in the land. I dare you.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I did say what affects me directly. High taxes and cost of living.

And you're not reading my posts. I've lived in L.A. my entire life. I'm tired of it. I don't want to live in such a big city anymore. I want to move to a prettier, smaller, quieter place, hopefully one with a lower cost of living.
OK. Those are real reasons. And notice you were able to articulate it without talking about government, liberals, or immigrants?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
OK. Those are real reasons. And notice you were able to articulate it without talking about government, liberals, or immigrants?
Did you notice that you couldn't express the above thought without talking about government, liberals, or immigrants?

By the way, please note that the moderators don't want us bringing immigration into regional forum area discussions.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Libbies can't get away from a thinly veiled insinuation that "pubbies are the problem" - yeah, a "problem" because of (rightful) opposition to spending by the tax and spend criminals in Sacto. And yes it affects me. It affects macroeconomic performance. Don't know about you, but I am not a Soros, a Gates, or a Buffet. I am not independently wealthy. It affects me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California