Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,957 times

Advertisements

ok, i know you guys get a million "im moving to ca, any advice?' type threads. after searching the forums, i still would like to hear from those of you who have grown up in so cal, or have moved there, especially from the east coast. we are a young couple no kids, just pets, from pa looking to relocate somewhere in socal. he is a musician/singer and web developer for a college and would like to continue working in higher education environment. i am a les mills fitness instructor, a greenhouse/garden worker, and a painter/writer/theatre actor. we both teach motorcycle safety courses. i know our msf headquarters is in irvine, so that is a consideration, but we do not need to relocate near msf headquarters at all. we both love nature, both love the beach, but also the mountains. both love the sun. mountain biking. it would be cool to be in an area that allowed us to go for walks at night safely, that had cool little coffee shop internet cafes by day. i lived for a time in the east village in manhattan, and i love that atmosphere as well. he doesnt so downtown la is probably not going to work for us. am i nuts? am i asking for too much? would like a neighborhood feel, a walking neighborhood. as far as $ goes, i dont have a clue. if you guys had price ranges/approximations for both rentals and home ownership in any areas you could recommend, that would help us narrow where we'd like to end up. thanks, guys, i really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:47 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,699,943 times
belmont shore. mountain biking/mountains are ~2hrs away, beach is on your doorstep, rent is affordable for the environment(figure 1200-1700 for a 2bd apt). walkable neighborhood with coffee shops and such. 20-40min drive to irvine depending on conditions(up to an hour if in rush hour traffic)

if you could afford more, you may like sunset beach(probably a lot more) or seal beach(same to a little more). these areas are more laid back than belmont shore, but have better beaches. from sunset you can ride your bike pretty much all the way through huntington beach along the beach paths. these areas are also incrimentally closer to irvine

homes will put you out in either area. for a decent home in decent shape, figure at least 600k. for a nice home within a few blocks of the beach, figure 750k+.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,485,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollydarlin View Post

after searching the forums,

am i nuts?

am i asking for too much?

as far as $ goes, i dont have a clue.

if you guys had price ranges/approximations for both rentals and home ownership in any areas you could recommend, that would help us narrow where we'd like to end up.

When you searched the threads, did you write down any places that fit the description of what you are looking for?

If you don't know what you can afford, how can the forum recommend places for you to look?

Are you looking to rent or buy?

If all you could afford was inland in a flat, suburban, grid of homes or apartments (not within 10 miles of the beach), would you still consider relocating?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,957 times
thanks, i had never even heard of belmont shore. your rent range is very helpful as is your description of the area. also helpful is the purchase prices of homes in the area. i think we are looking from brentwood/west hywd to santa m area and all points in between and be under 2g for rent, if thats even possible. we had also looked online at simi valley area. we dont need to live on a beach or close to irvine. thanks, this is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
belmont shore. mountain biking/mountains are ~2hrs away, beach is on your doorstep, rent is affordable for the environment(figure 1200-1700 for a 2bd apt). walkable neighborhood with coffee shops and such. 20-40min drive to irvine depending on conditions(up to an hour if in rush hour traffic)

homes will put you out in either area. for a decent home in decent shape, figure at least 600k. for a nice home within a few blocks of the beach, figure 750k+.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,699,943 times
I would still suggest looking at Belmont Shore, even with what you've said, simply because of what you said you guys like to do and what you're looking for in an area to live. It fits many of the criteria you ask for as well as being an area suited to the personal activities you mentioned like art, music, and gardening

Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,697,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollydarlin View Post
ok, i know you guys get a million "im moving to ca, any advice?' type threads. after searching the forums, i still would like to hear from those of you who have grown up in so cal, or have moved there, especially from the east coast. we are a young couple no kids, just pets, from pa looking to relocate somewhere in socal. he is a musician/singer and web developer for a college and would like to continue working in higher education environment. i am a les mills fitness instructor, a greenhouse/garden worker, and a painter/writer/theatre actor. we both teach motorcycle safety courses. i know our msf headquarters is in irvine, so that is a consideration, but we do not need to relocate near msf headquarters at all. we both love nature, both love the beach, but also the mountains. both love the sun. mountain biking. it would be cool to be in an area that allowed us to go for walks at night safely, that had cool little coffee shop internet cafes by day. i lived for a time in the east village in manhattan, and i love that atmosphere as well. he doesnt so downtown la is probably not going to work for us. am i nuts? am i asking for too much? would like a neighborhood feel, a walking neighborhood. as far as $ goes, i dont have a clue. if you guys had price ranges/approximations for both rentals and home ownership in any areas you could recommend, that would help us narrow where we'd like to end up. thanks, guys, i really appreciate it!
If you don't need to be in southern california you might want to consider the central coast.
As a north easterner it may be less of a cultural shock for you.
I don't understand the draw to So CA but that's just me.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,522,126 times
If the job is in Irvine, stay close to there.
I would look at San Juan Capistrano, Mission Viejo. Maybe even Oceanside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California