U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 AM

803 posts, read 1,453,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"The "smog impact" fee was scrapped several years back after some lawsuits."
Indeed it was. The year 2000, as I recall receiving a check for my unconstitutionally obtained $300 plus modest interest back from the great State of California in late Fall 2000, right around the election and recount timeframe. Of course, you had to apply for the refund earlier that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 06:49 PM

8,331 posts, read 10,516,129 times
Ca smog tests are the toughest in the nation. Be careful of who smog tests your car. Many shops will take advantage of out of state car owners & say you need this & that. It happened to a friend of mine a few yrs back. About 10 or so yrs ago i got ripped off by a shop in Bloomington,ca. I reported him & the state didnt do anything.

At 1st the shop mechanic said my car wont pass & they need to do a test for $45.00 to find out what the problem was. I agreed to the test & low & behold i passed smog & they didnt do any test. They didnt know i was watching them. I only go to a test only station now. You cant though cause im sure they will need to do work to your car to get you to pass smog. Keep in mind there is no max amount on car repairs. I hate getting my car smogged every 2 yrs. I have a smog due on my 85 olds this nov....UGH!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,891,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Check engine light on or off? If it's on, then you will have to fix it. Otherwise, you should be fine, as the OBDII system requires the car to pretty much check itself for excess pollutants.

The "smog impact" fee was scrapped several years back after some lawsuits. There will be new license plate/registration fees, but those are still reasonably priced.

Other than emissions, nothing else for inspections ...they could care less if every other fluid is leaking, the panels are falling off, if there's no interior, etc. here in Cali. That said, under the hood is a sticker which says whether the car was built to 49-state EPA standards or 50-state EPA/CA standards.

If the CEL bulb is burned out, the car will fail smog.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 AM

8,331 posts, read 10,516,129 times
Last sept my 85 olds passed smog (test only) after sitting pretty much for 5 yrs. I did burn out the old varnishy gas & put in premium unleaded. I paid a total of $50.00 & i was abit surprised i pass. My smog readings werent as good as the previos smog (11-03) but passable. My next smog is due 11-11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California