U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 38,025 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a California resident and I got a ticket in State of Arizona when I was visiting for:
- no proof of insurance
- no proof of registration

This was back in October, 2006. I do have insurance and registration, but I just did not have my paperwork with me so the police cited me for the no proof of insurance and registration charges. I mailed them the letter stating that I did have insurance and registration, but they never received it. And how I found out is that they mailed me a fine of $1,500.

I've called them and they said the only way is to pay for this ticket's full amount, even if I submit the proof, it will not lower my fines.
There is no way I can go to AZ and talk to the judge in person, I really need help on this one if you guys can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,219,361 times
That is why I use confirmed mail with USPS.
I wish I had a answer for you.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:09 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,142,691 times
Sorry that you are unable to speak to the judge in person, since your ticket might be reduced or dismissed according to this site.

http://www.getcoveredusa.com/arizona/ (broken link)

Good luck

Old 04-06-2007, 07:02 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,062,990 times
I hope you can get it dismissed. Learn a lesson, tho. Always carry your proof of insurance in your wallet and/or glove compartment along with your registration. Maybe AZ is giving you a hard time as you are from another State???????? Doesn't sound fair. I'd fight

Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I hope you can get it dismissed. Learn a lesson, tho. Always carry your proof of insurance in your wallet and/or glove compartment along with your registration. Maybe AZ is giving you a hard time as you are from another State???????? Doesn't sound fair. I'd fight
I would fight, but the only way is to go to AZ and see the Judge in person.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:23 PM

24 posts, read 133,862 times
what i did when i got a ticket in nv for speeding, i got a hold of the court, i didnt want to goto nv to fight it, so i asked the court if i could pay the fine in 2 payments, they agreed, so i got that ticket cleared..
its all according to if you want to fight the ticket or not, as far as no insurance, submit a copy of an insurance policy ( even if it wasnt in effect, you can still get your fine lowered) and pay the ticket... whatever you do, DONT let it go to warrent!

Old 04-21-2007, 10:36 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,408,781 times
Call california dmv... better yet go there.. ask for a hearing officer.. ask for advice..

ask AAA for advice

Write the clerk of the court where the cite was issued.. copy the judge.. the fine is exorbitant... file certified proof you had it at the time of the citation be prepared for some reasonable explanation as to why you COULDNT produce it at the time.. rental car..property stolen.. stupid is not an excuse..... use registered mail.. explain your hardship in real terms.. ie ..your honor I cannot come 1000 miles because.. Im in school.. I take care of my ailing grandma... I am sole provider for minor children... that kind of thing.. you can try calling the clerk but you will probably receive ignore...

Find out who the presiding judge is of the municipal traffic court you were cited to.. make sure his name is on all correspondence.. direct it to him or cc him/her

do not let the cite go to warrant.. we have reciprocity iirc (confirm this with dmv)

In Cali a judge would most likely dismiss that cite upon proof both were current.. or at least the fine would be minimal

did you **** someone off?... I usually reserve those cites for someone with an attitude or really a PITA ... or did you just get nailed as a Californian?

Screw Arizona.. theyre as bad as California

Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 AM

22 posts, read 194,371 times
This is somewhat unrelated, but I recently got a speeding ticket for going 61 MPH in a 55 MPH zone in Nevada. It was on a divided four lane highway out in the middle of nowhere. The road was as flat and straight as it could be. In my opinion, it was a little rediculous. I could have safely driven in excess of 85 MPH in that situation.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 AM

6,662 posts, read 26,219,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoCome View Post
Hello,

I am a California resident and I got a ticket in State of Arizona when I was visiting for:
- no proof of insurance
- no proof of registration

This was back in October, 2006. I do have insurance and registration, but I just did not have my paperwork with me so the police cited me for the no proof of insurance and registration charges. I mailed them the letter stating that I did have insurance and registration, but they never received it. And how I found out is that they mailed me a fine of $1,500.

I've called them and they said the only way is to pay for this ticket's full amount, even if I submit the proof, it will not lower my fines.
There is no way I can go to AZ and talk to the judge in person, I really need help on this one if you guys can.
Clearly the $1500 is a ticket gone warrant, that is why the poster needs to go before the judge. But come on everyone driving in any state without proof of insurance and registration is a gamble. The only way to clear this one is before a judge and to bring proof and a check book. Feel lucky this ticket was not in CA, they would have impounded your car for 30 days.

If the state of Arizona has had such a hard time collecting, think about if this person had hit someone. I would be pissed off if my car was hit by a non insured driver or non registered car and I was unable to get them to respond.

stuff and things
Speeding in any state with a different states plates on the car is a open invite for a ticket. 61 in a 55 is still speeding and apparently a cop seen you. Oh well, NV is the state for gambling. I have lost more in NV.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:33 PM

It's tough dealing with AZ court since I am a Californian. I tried explaining things to the Clerk, but she said 95% of their tickets are out of state tickets so they set their rules strict for EVERYONE.

I am just gonna have to pay for the fine little by little. I don't think the California court can waive this ticket for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or