Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:46 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times

Advertisements

I had to go to Palm Springs on business a few years ago and when I arrived it was 118! I had to stay inside but there were people splashing around in the like "this is nothing'. Then I felt something crawling on me and it was a date bug that looked like a large cigar with legs. Took us ten minutes to kill it.
My employer warned me to take a hotel towel and cover the steering wheel with it. Definitely helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times

I could.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:37 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
It will be hotter than you have ever seen, but not as humid..make sure you have lots of water in the car for you and the car in case you should overheat..but with some precautions you will have a great trip!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
I spent last summer in Palm Springs. It's HOT. If you don't have A/C, you will probably be hospitalized or die. Unless you're a cactus, forget about working outdoors or staying outdoors for any length of time. A/C on 24 hours a day, even at night. It's good for retirees because they don't have to work. Some people can handle 120 degrees but I'm not one.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Jay, its amazing that most folks that live in the valley are regular working stiff doing all manner of work, inside, outside, life goes on whether its hot or not. Retirees are smart, they leave...if they can..but then a lot of retirees are barely skimming by and are year round, like my folks...its something you get used to..One summer is not enough to get used to it.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:37 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
My dad and I will be coming through this July and staying In Phoenix, Palm Springs, Barstow, Vegas and Needles before heading back east. Is there anyone that's spent a summer in Georgia or elsewhere in the southeast? I'd like to kinda compare the climates to see how different it may be.
It is very hot, but there is almost no humidity, and there is a decent breeze. Somehow it does not seem as hot as the Southeastern summers. That was my take on it, anyway. YMMV

Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I spent last summer in Palm Springs. It's HOT. If you don't have A/C, you will probably be hospitalized or die. Unless you're a cactus, forget about working outdoors or staying outdoors for any length of time. A/C on 24 hours a day, even at night. It's good for retirees because they don't have to work. Some people can handle 120 degrees but I'm not one.
Lots of us living here without AC or so used to the heat that we don't run our AC 24/7. We have not died yet or had to be hospitalized. Like I alwys tell my parents - if I were ever kidnapped and left out in the desert, say Death Valley, to die ... I would live. I would live because I am accustomed to regular 115-118 days and the occasional 120-125 days we get here. I'm a tough bird. However, if I were ever kidnapped and dumped out in Mammoth with no skis, I would probably die.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Lots of us living here without AC or so used to the heat that we don't run our AC 24/7. We have not died yet or had to be hospitalized. Like I alwys tell my parents - if I were ever kidnapped and left out in the desert, say Death Valley, to die ... I would live. I would live because I am accustomed to regular 115-118 days and the occasional 120-125 days we get here. I'm a tough bird. However, if I were ever kidnapped and dumped out in Mammoth with no skis, I would probably die.
I didn't say that if you don't run your a/c 24/7 that you will die. I said, if you don't have any a/c ( meaning during the hottest months and hottest parts of the day) that you could be hospitalized or die (from heat stroke). That's the reason there are heat advisories galore all summer. "Stay indoors, don't go out from 12-4PM unless absolutely necessary."

Good for you if you can manage 120 days with no a/c. You're the 1st PS resident that I've ever heard of who can defy the odds and run marathons at noon, in August.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Jay, its amazing that most folks that live in the valley are regular working stiff doing all manner of work, inside, outside, life goes on whether its hot or not. Retirees are smart, they leave...if they can..but then a lot of retirees are barely skimming by and are year round, like my folks...its something you get used to..One summer is not enough to get used to it.
They start early and are usually done by 2. Not to say that people do not work outdoors in PS in mid August but not everybody can do it.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Didnt seem to hurt Bob Hope any...lived to a ripe old age. I figure a retiree
can just relax when it gets hot....thats what I would do. Dont go out, till the evening,then its just right.IMO

Greenchili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California