Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:38 AM

10,010 posts, read 9,434,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Didn't have a check coming down from Oregon, but I don't advocate breaking the law either.
Most likely the OP won't get stopped. But then again, you never know. Just be prepared for the chance of a fine and having the bird confiscated if caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:27 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,682,426 times
I believe the reason that Quakers are not allowed is that the gov was afraid that the birds would escape and become a threat to the farms. I do know that there are several colonies of parrots thriving in and around Los Angeles, so what is the difference....? I love to watch them build crazy nests. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:56 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,332,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I believe the reason that Quakers are not allowed is that the gov was afraid that the birds would escape and become a threat to the farms. I do know that there are several colonies of parrots thriving in and around Los Angeles, so what is the difference....? I love to watch them build crazy nests. Good luck.
When I was a child, I used to stay with my sister in Loma Linda area and I would see flocks of parrots fly over, I was so shocked by that. It was fun to watch them, I would go outside to see them fly over.

When we crossed the boarder after Reno, we saw them confiscate someone's ferret. I was bewildered because up until then as a kid I had no idea California did things like that. I was aware of where we were on the map but it seemed like we were crossing into another country.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,506,574 times
PM sent.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:05 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,919,333 times
I don't think having a Quaker Parrot in CA is illegal. I have four parrots (not Quakers), but I have two friends who DO have Quakers - and they live in CA. I don't really think coming through a checkpoint they are going to take your bird. A lot of times they jusr wave you through and you don't even have to stop.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:10 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,568,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't think having a Quaker Parrot in CA is illegal. I have four parrots (not Quakers), but I have two friends who DO have Quakers - and they live in CA. I don't really think coming through a checkpoint they are going to take your bird. A lot of times they jusr wave you through and you don't even have to stop.
I can't understand why parrots would be illegal. But I think people driving into California with out-of-state license plates are more likely to be stopped.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:19 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,919,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I can't understand why parrots would be illegal. But I think people driving into California with out-of-state license plates are more likely to be stopped.
I don't really think the OP has anything to worry about. When we moved to Texas and back again I had my birds in the car with me and we went through a couple of checkpoints, maybe three each time. We were never stopped and nobody took my birds away from me. BTW, my birds were excellent travelers - so good, in fact that just thinking about them I'm gonna have to go give them some love and kisses right now!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:24 PM

22 posts, read 92,954 times
Twinkle Toes...

If possible, could you PLEASE find out from your friends (who have quakers) how they take them to the VET? Do the vets have a responsibility of turning them in? Also, did they come in from out of state?? Did they have to cross the borders etc??

Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,435,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedGal View Post
I own a quaker parrot
there [sic] are illegal in CA
maybe I could fly into Oregan or another border state and drive in with my parrot.
Are there any places where there AREN'T border check points and I could just drive through??

Birds and Law

Quote:
Anyone have any info??
Aiding and Abetting/Accessory - Criminal Law

Old 05-17-2009, 01:50 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times
Quote:
Hello.

I have a question. I may be moving to CA from the east coast...I own a quaker parrot whom I love SO much... I just found out there are illegal in CA as they are considered "pests"...My parrot is clipped and doesn't even fly around! He is a PET, not a PEST!! The thought of rehoming him breaks my heart... So I am wondering and debating, maybe I could fly into Oregan or another border state and drive in with my parrot. Are there any places where there AREN'T border check points and I could just drive through?? I know many people have taken their quakers through the border by just covering them up, but I would be very nervous to do that I think...

Anyone have any info?? thank you.
so you want to know how to break the law? All anyone can say, take a chance, remember if you get caught you will have a huge fine and you will no longer have your bird. I would think about this for a long time. I agree with what others have said, you might not ever get stopped, but laws are not meant to be broken even if some are pretty stupid.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California