U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,387 times
Default Santa Rosa

I am looking for info on Santa Rosa area?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 PM

4,455 posts, read 2,339,575 times
Spent time in Santa Rosa. I think its one of the best places to live in California- I also like San Luis Obispo on the central coast.

Sonoma county has close to a half million people now- and Santa Rosa is the largest city with around 150K. Some pleasant areas of town, and a few seedy areas. Nice enough downtown with ample shopping and services.

About an hour from the GG bridge on a good day on US 101. The freeway is 4 lanes and carries much more traffic then it can handle- this is one of the downsides to SR.

Climate is a mild four season Mediterranean- with much more sunshine and warmer temps in the summer then San Francisco. Winters will be cooler with about 30-40 nights below freezing in the winter, and daytime highs in the 50s. Rain averages 30" a year. Snowfall is rare. The weather offers more variety and seasonal change then areas to the south.

The rainy season starts around mid autumn and lasts till April, although during this time the sun will be out 7 days in ten. Summers are mostly warm to hot and dry with cool evenings- not humid.

Much in the way of recreation- in the Russian river area; also many parks, wineries, and of course close proximity to San Francisco.
In my opinion a very beautiful area to live- with very attractive topography and a benign climate.
The major downside is the very high cost of housing- with the median home price over 600K.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 AM

82 posts, read 342,750 times
Default Santa Rosa

My aunt once said that the city has more variety of trees than any place else. I thought she was dreaming but then I was driving along Sonoma Ave. one day and noticed, there is a huge variety of trees in that town. Far from being a town with ditto houses with no culture. Many of the housing areas remind me of small towns along the eastcoast or parts of Pasadena. Its a beautiful town.

I visit my mom in Santa Rosa several times a year. I've been frequenting that town since when my sister moved there in 1970. It is nice, and as I age, I'll be spending more of my time there. I won't move there 100% because I like the beach and Santa Rosa in the summer is hotter than I find comfortable.

Apts. and condos are popping up excessively on the east side of town along 12. That is going to clog 12 much more soon.
If you're looking for less traffic, Santa Rosa is not the place for you.
If you're looking for a place in the heart of winery country, Santa Rosa is an excellent place for you.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:03 PM

228 posts, read 959,494 times
are there thunderstorms or anything in california? I am very the east coast and we frequently get storms in the summer which i enjoy.

Santa rosa and san fran seem like such great places but the weather seems so tame.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:39 AM

4,455 posts, read 2,339,575 times
Thunderstorms are uncommon in Santa Rosa.

Yes the weather is very 'tame' but offers more seasonal change then coastal locations.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:36 PM

13 posts, read 32,682 times
Default Santa Rosa summer weather

Santa Rosa's typical summer weather, is coastal fog in the mornings, burning off before noon, heating up to the 80s or so in the afternoon, and the fog returning in the evening. Through the summer, there are also several periods of heat waves, with a few consecutive days of no fog, temps in the 90s (or more), and warm evenings. Then the blessed fog is sucked back in and there is relief, and the typical weather resumes. Some people complain about the cool evenings. Others love it. The most common natural dangerous event is earthquakes. Exciting, but scary!

Old 04-29-2007, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,145 times
ShanMar described Santa Rosa summer's dang good! I miss it, just moved to Roseville.

Like another country, culture wise. Just different. Takes a bit I guess getting used to a new place.

Santa Rosa/Sonoma County can't be beat, though, lived there 20 + years

Old 05-30-2007, 01:14 PM

800 posts, read 3,069,611 times
I'm going to visit Sonoma (the city in the county LOL) very soon...You guys have me so stoked! Yay!

Hugs,
L

Old 08-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,572 posts, read 11,508,314 times
We lived in SR for many years and I must say I miss it, unfortunately we can't afford to return.... When you go there hopefully it will be around the Harvest Fair. If you can go to that you will have a great time! The weather is awsome and as other posters have said the only down side is the traffic, definately don't miss that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California