Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
The old 1968 book "The Late Great State of California" had the whole state gone up to the Sierra foothills. Curt Gentry had the Central Valley filling with water when the coastal regions fell into the Pacific. So buy property high in the foothills.
Interesting that book was written long before anyone talked about global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Stress? Problems? Immigrants?

Amigos boated over to San Andres, fresh Spanish Mackerel, laid out, 2 days back home. Ahhhhhh....

All the while you Cali monkeys sit on the 405 smelling fumes.....

Eliminate stress and enjoy the pics!
I'm in Santa Cruz county "chilling", watching the fog roll in and appreciating the energy of the Pacific ocean, listening to the birds, enjoying the Redwoods, housemates gardening, smelling good clean ocean air and feeling very grateful to be in California which is a huge and diverse state where the majority of people are not "sitting on the 405 smelling fumes".
People love to hate California? Why?
And people seem to think they know it via the media and that it's all about L.A. and Hollywood and traffic, etc.
And man am i tired of people complaining about immigrants.
Unless you're Native American, knock it off.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
Those people who arn't crying in their beers might be in 10 years. They just don't know what it use to be like.
When you go north of the Bay Area you still have a taste of what it used to be like. Sonoma, Calaveras, Mendocino counties, etc. still preserve the Old West feeling of the old California.

For those who miss California in the old days, rather than leaving the state altogether they might want to merely move to the far north, although high paying jobs would be a problem. Those more bigoted sorts here would like it because California's far north is 80% non Latino-white, although I don't know how their desires for "traditional America" would fit with the massive weed culture - but IMO the weed culture of the Emerald Triangle has roots in Old West' CA's cowboy individualism as much as it has roots in the hippie culture founded in CA's big cities 45 years ago.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
Those people who arn't crying in their beers might be in 10 years. They just don't know what it use to be like.
Well, I been here over 40 years and I'm not, as well as many other native and non-natives. So while 'some' will and move on thats ok. But for millions of others CA will remain a great place to call home.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 PM

83 posts, read 142,227 times
My predictions for California if things keep going this way:

* The state will be the most smog-filled and dirty state in the entire country. Riddled with dirty diapers, trash, graffiti, and fences made with garage doors, California will no longer resemble the beautiful sunny state that it once did in the 70s.

* ALL of the houses will have those tacky decorative iron fences around the yards and will be stuccoed and painting an ice cream color, destroying the heritage where Craftsman house districts once existed.

* The state will be completely bankrupt from supporting the millions of people who either don't want to work or are illegal.

* There will not be a private hospital in site because they are all going to be shut down from having to take patients who can't pay and like to have multiple children.

* The beaches will be covered with dirty diapers, trash, cigarette butts, and ocean fish that have been caught and skinned right on the beach and left to rot.

* The freeways will be more congested than ever and instead of it taking 2 hours to go 20 miles, it will take 4.

* There will be NO natural areas left like lakes or parks that haven't been destroyed or closed altogether because of crime or overuse.

* There will be very few english-speaking television or radio stations left .

* The job market will completely collapse since there are people willing to do skilled labor for minimum wage, thus pushing middle-class tradesmen completely out of the market.

* The gangs will completely take over even worse than they have now, infiltrating the police and fire departments and pretty soon, corruption will be as rampant in the California legal system as it is in Mexico.

* The movie industry will completely collapse and start moving its studios to other states.

* Crime will be so bad that people will be afraid to leave their homes.

* Tourism will drop dramatically.

* Catholic Mexicans will change the landscape of social diversity and gays and lesbians will no longer feel welcome in a state once known as the land of fruit and nuts.

* Whites and Blacks will run for other states, no longer able to compete with Jose and his cousins who are willing to work for low wages.

* California will become the official gateway for illegal immigrants because of the free welfare, easy loans, and cultural takeover that has been spreading from the border up to Sacramento.

In short, California is headed for the crapper and I am SO glad I am leaving.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:44 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Default Worse

Kraken,you actually sound rather optimistic in your forecast.Things could get worse than that.Much worse.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 AM

83 posts, read 142,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Bravo!!! Bravo!!!

Kraken! Congratulations! One Word --> FLORIDA

Welcome Home sir
It's actually "Ma'am"

Florida is a lovely state and if I didn't have family in Arkansas I would have definitely considered moving there.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
AMEN! I'm so glad we're leaving I can hardsly contain my excitement.

Your list was spot-on!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
Quote:

* The state will be the most smog-filled and dirty state in the entire country. Riddled with dirty diapers, trash, graffiti, and fences made with garage doors, California will no longer resemble the beautiful sunny state that it once did in the 70s.

* ALL of the houses will have those tacky decorative iron fences around the yards and will be stuccoed and painting an ice cream color, destroying the heritage where Craftsman house districts once existed.

* The state will be completely bankrupt from supporting the millions of people who either don't want to work or are illegal.

* There will not be a private hospital in site because they are all going to be shut down from having to take patients who can't pay and like to have multiple children.

* The beaches will be covered with dirty diapers, trash, cigarette butts, and ocean fish that have been caught and skinned right on the beach and left to rot.

* The freeways will be more congested than ever and instead of it taking 2 hours to go 20 miles, it will take 4.

* There will be NO natural areas left like lakes or parks that haven't been destroyed or closed altogether because of crime or overuse.

* There will be very few english-speaking television or radio stations left .

* The job market will completely collapse since there are people willing to do skilled labor for minimum wage, thus pushing middle-class tradesmen completely out of the market.

* The gangs will completely take over even worse than they have now, infiltrating the police and fire departments and pretty soon, corruption will be as rampant in the California legal system as it is in Mexico.

* The movie industry will completely collapse and start moving its studios to other states.

* Crime will be so bad that people will be afraid to leave their homes.

* Tourism will drop dramatically.

* Catholic Mexicans will change the landscape of social diversity and gays and lesbians will no longer feel welcome in a state once known as the land of fruit and nuts.

* Whites and Blacks will run for other states, no longer able to compete with Jose and his cousins who are willing to work for low wages.

* California will become the official gateway for illegal immigrants because of the free welfare, easy loans, and cultural takeover that has been spreading from the border up to Sacramento.

Buh bye.

Greenchili

Old 05-20-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
\

If the jobs go....then the illegals go too, to somewhere where jobs are more plentiful. This is already happening. Texas now attracts more illegal immigrants than California due to more jobs being available.

And police corruption in CA is hardly a new thing.

The one thing that has held CA gangs back from inflitrating the system on the level of the Mafia in the old days is their hostility towards education - if this were to be changed, then they really could get to a Mafia type level, albeit at the cost of their beloved "street cred". Asian gangs seem to be an exception regarding hostility to education, which gives them more of a chance at successfully infiltrating the corridors of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California