Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpche View Post
I was born and raised here in California and I love it. I love everything, except the rampant liberalism and high punitive taxes.

I make most of my money online these days, and within a couple of years 100% of my income should be coming from online ventures. So physically there won't be any need to be officially living in California.

What I plan on doing is incorporating in Nevada and establishing an official business/personal address there (the same place), registering my cars in Nevada, and getting a Nevada drivers license.

But I would live in California 99.9% of the time.

The tax savings (10% state income tax plus lots of other liberal B.S.) will be substantial.

I plan on hiring a lawyer to take care of the nuts and bolts, but I was wondering if anybody has experience with this.

Thank you.
By now you have hired your attorney and looked into the in and out of your plan. If you have a upper middle class income or above beware! I know for a fact that if you attempt to set up a "shell" in Nevada and live in California 99% of the time; you will become intimate friends with the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB). You will have to prove to the FTB that you are not receiving anything/any service from California - You have to make a clean break! They will look into wheather or not you come into Calif. to see your doctor, dentist, etc. You cannot receive any service in Calif. or they will take you to tax court and make your life a living hell. There has been more than one MD, Pilot or what have you try to do this by buying a home in Incline Village or Los Vegas and get Nevada license plates on their car and think they will snow the FTB. Noway, they will make you show every receipt you have trying to prove you still come to Calif to receive service and that this in really your home state... There is volumes of case law on this. So, make the move, get a new doctor, dentist, etc. register to vote, and do what every Nevadan does and only visit Calif. as a visiter.
file:///C:/Users/Paul/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,791 times
You do not want to get on the wrong side of the Franchise Tax Board. Many say they are harder to deal with than the IRS.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:15 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
You do not want to get on the wrong side of the Franchise Tax Board. Many say they are harder to deal with than the IRS.
Only because they break the law more often. The ftb gets slapped down in court very often for their tactics and other abuses. The IRS knows what they can get away with.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,791 times
The funny thing is a lot of FTB and Board of Equalization people end up getting nice jobs at public accounting firms after they put in about 10-15 years with the state.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,038 times
Does the person who made this thread know the actual definition of 'liberalism'? Really, people need to stop making up definitions of words, or listening to some idiot radio pundit who redefines a political term to mean something it is not.

ALL political parties in America, the the libertarians, to the republicans, to the democrats to the greens, engage in liberalism. This country was founded on the principles of classical liberalism.

I understand when some folks say 'liberalist' they mean 'american left leaning' (which is actually centrist/middle right wing when compared to other western countries like in Europe), but its in everyones best interest to be specific with their terminology, rather than resorting to jingo's to convey their ideals.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
OK, let's just be blunt.

Communism.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:10 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,038 times
^ Lol (If you meant that jokingly).

Old 06-13-2009, 04:43 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
California had what was called a "source tax" that was hounding folks that retired out-of-state. We had a lot of people from CA move to NH in the early 90s because NH would not help CA track down its former citizens and send their pension money back there. The law was changed in 1996.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:38 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
California had what was called a "source tax" that was hounding folks that retired out-of-state. We had a lot of people from CA move to NH in the early 90s because NH would not help CA track down its former citizens and send their pension money back there. The law was changed in 1996.
Thank you... I forgot the proper name for it... "Source Tax"

It was particularly bothersome for those receiving any kind CA government retirement

Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 AM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Thank you... I forgot the proper name for it... "Source Tax"

It was particularly bothersome for those receiving any kind CA government retirement
I talked to many California residents in those days who used NH as a place to shield their pensions. It was big news up here in this small state because we were astounded at just how aggressive CA was in hounding these folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California