Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,068 times

Advertisements

Obviously you havent heard of the severe problems in CA. Here's my advice: dont move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Obviously you havent heard of the severe problems in CA. Here's my advice: dont move there.
Thank you for your input.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:07 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,550 times
It is do-able, even pretty awesome, as long as you have a job. Getting a job...well, it's really really tough out there. I would suggest 1) not coming out here without a job offer or b) getting a short-term rental place, moving just the essentials (air bed, etc.) and look for a job. If you get one, great! If not, you found out for yourself just how bad the economy is here.

I myself just lost my job.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Hey 100+ degrees is A-OK with me. I'll take it. If there is even 1 or 2 days in Dec, Jan, Feb, March that I can sit outside or go for a walk...I'll take it. I am really open to many different areas of CA as anywhere there is a major improvement over here. Our Indiana summers consist of June-early Sept with super high humidity and tons of bugs to ruin even our good days here. So really, I am VERY flexible as you can see
PS- That's exactly why I am willing to settle for Fresno or the other "undesirable" areas of California, it's still an improvement to what I am used to.
Bear in mind that a lot of Californians are bonfide heat sissies. Coming from the Midwest, you might think of California as warm, but a lot of people who live in coastal California do so precisely because it is one of the few places in the West where summers are fairly cool. They're not "summer people." They wouldn't want to live in the Central Valley, but they wouldn't be able to take the summers of Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise, Spokane or Albuquerque, either.

A lot of midwesterners actually find that evenings and mornings in coastal California are uncomfortably cool in summer. If you don't mind heat and want some place with a long summer, you might look at Chico (the job issue is still a major red flag, though). It has a definite California vibe, yet it is lacking some of the more annoying aspects that have overtaken so much of California: rising tides of illegal immigrants, gangs, unchecked development that has consumed agricultural land, super-highway gridlock, undrinkable water and unbreathable air. With its tree-lined streets and traditional neighborhoods with generous lot sizes (anything over 5000 sq. ft. is considered "big" by California standards) you might find it an easier transition than the McMansion-carpeted subdivisions of high-density hell that constitutes 99.9% of SoCal.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 PM

341 posts, read 688,940 times
Chico is not bad, they are haveing a few issues with city council. The latest proposal for saving money is to not do road maintenance to encourage bicycle use over auto. Strange way of thinking

Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
Chico is not bad, they are haveing a few issues with city council. The latest proposal for saving money is to not do road maintenance to encourage bicycle use over auto. Strange way of thinking
Why's that? Continued escalation of automobile use in unsustainable. Reasonable people all around the country are working to reduce dependency on automobiles because it simply can't continue. The problem is physical laziness. Lazy people like cars, even though they wreak havoc on society.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Why's that? Continued escalation of automobile use in unsustainable. Reasonable people all around the country are working to reduce dependency on automobiles because it simply can't continue. The problem is physical laziness. Lazy people like cars, even though they wreak havoc on society.
So I should walk a mile to the store and haul a week's worth of groceries for 4 people back with me? And the kids are with me every day, so I should have 2 preschoolers walk with me too? My car is a necessity. I am not lazy.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Have you thought of living near a huge retirement area and advertising your handyman skills in their local newspapers? I think there are 3 Leisure World areas in S. California.....in or near Long Beach, in Laguna Woods, (which is 'really' Laguna Hills), and possibly in or near San Diego..... Maybe one near Oxnard, I dunno....

Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
The good thing about Fresno is that it is not that far from Y O S E M I T E!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Have you thought of living near a huge retirement area and advertising your handyman skills in their local newspapers? I think there are 3 Leisure World areas in S. California.....in or near Long Beach, in Laguna Woods, (which is 'really' Laguna Hills), and possibly in or near San Diego..... Maybe one near Oxnard, I dunno....
Yes, I was thinking of suggesting Palm Springs in this capacity as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California