Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times

Advertisements

I think children of low-income people and illegals get welfare until they are 18 years of age at which time, if they choose to, can go to college and continue to get assistance for another 4 years. It's an awesome deal for those who want to take advantage of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Who did those jobs 40 or 50 years ago?

Things seemed to work just fine back then.
Well I was living in CA 40-50 years ago and in general the jobs that nobody wanted were split between Black people and Mexican people.
The crops were always picked by people from across the boarder, but they were usually brought here, housed for the season and taken back.
As that generation has become more educated and affluent, now those jobs are going to the illegals.

My company has a mfg plant in Reynoso Mexico. That area has a huge amount of US MFG co because of its proximatey to the border with Texas. Big names like Black and Decker, and Brunswick
The Mexican government not only sets the wages but requires full medical benefits, maternity leave, Workers comp, all regular religious holidays, 2 weeks off at Christmas, transportation to and from work, and two free meals a day depending on the shift. Except for the food and transportation, all other benefits were paid to the Mexican government like taxes evey week.

So, if US companies want to hire illegals, they should be required to do the same thing. Let them foot the bill for the benefits they are getting by paying low wages not the taxpayers.

I agree that the dole should stop. It has to start with not granting US citizenship to anyone born in this country to an illegal.

Shut the spigots off one at a time until there really isn't anything attractive about coming here.

But there will be a price to pay. Higher prices due to higher wages, and more jobs will leave the US for other countries that offer cheap labor.
You may be a skilled worker, but don't be surprised when your company moves to Mexico (or where ever) and your job goes right along with it.
My company shut down 5 plants in the last year laying off over 4000 mfg workers and professionals. Guess what? They tripled the capacity of the plant in Mexico and it is still open.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 PM

341 posts, read 689,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I like the food tax idea. This tax base will be stable because everyone has to eat, as mentioned. People will eat less and become healthier in the process which in turn will reduce medical cost. There is a worldwide shortage of food right now and food cost more as a result. Reduced demand will make food cheaper. Eating less is also better for environment because we throw away less trash. It's an all around win-win situation. Great idea, Ultrarunner!
or what will happen is usually what happens when you tax something you take in less revenue because maybe then more people with grow more of their food. Which yes then they will be healthier, so maybe it is a win win.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I've worked for the school districts for years and you can't believe the freebies these ILLEGALS get. The free lunch program costs are staggering; they get free breakfast and lunch. You'll see hundreds of them lined up waiting for their free lunch, and some of them will be talking on the cell phones. Or, give the free lunch to their friends, and buy their own with money they seem to have on them.

My girlfriend was fired after 14 years as an Instructional Aid because she wasn't bilingual...her and several others lost their jobs because of pandering to illegal invaders who's rights have over taken those of U.S. citizens.

The need for bilingual teachers are at an all time high. Walking to the office, you'll pass the kids, standing around their text books, in Spanish, talking Spanish and being taught Spanish...A job was lost to someone who went to school to teach but unfortunately, wasn't bilingual..

I eventually wasn't called to work as much and guess why? They needed bilinguals on the switchboards...I got screamed at once by a man that was annoyed because I was "no habla espanol"....

I'm sick and tired of going though drive though and barely understanding the person taking the order...They can't understand you and get your orders messed up...It happens all the time.

In March alone, the cost to illegals and their anchor babies in LA County was 44 million. That's one county, one state...And Arnold doesn't think the illegals are the problem? Is that precious VOTE so important that they'll allow this takeover? I can't imagine what California will look like as more and more people exit this Hell Hole...I'm looking for another state right now. I'm done!
illegal's education, health care and other benefits cost this state 13.5 billiion. What's our deficit. 15 billion. Huh how can we fix this

Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We have friends still living in CA and their daughter became pregnant while going through college. This was intentional. The girl is getting a free ride through a state university, free baby care and all other forms of perks. She finally married the dad, but he is underemployed so the perks remain. My friend is actually proud of her daugter and glad she is getting the tax dollars. This mentality is sinking the boat. To top it off, this baby, although a cutie, was a premie and cost the taxpayers over $1,000,000.
That just makes me want to throw-up

Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
It's easy to solve the illegal problem, penalize the companies hiring them and take the rich execs financing these companies to jail. There needs to be accountability at the top, taking every illegal to jail/deportation will not stop the flow.

No jobs, no illegals...done.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Well I was living in CA 40-50 years ago and in general the jobs that nobody wanted were split between Black people and Mexican people.
The crops were always picked by people from across the boarder, but they were usually brought here, housed for the season and taken back.
As that generation has become more educated and affluent, now those jobs are going to the illegals.

My company has a mfg plant in Reynoso Mexico. That area has a huge amount of US MFG co because of its proximatey to the border with Texas. Big names like Black and Decker, and Brunswick
The Mexican government not only sets the wages but requires full medical benefits, maternity leave, Workers comp, all regular religious holidays, 2 weeks off at Christmas, transportation to and from work, and two free meals a day depending on the shift. Except for the food and transportation, all other benefits were paid to the Mexican government like taxes evey week.

So, if US companies want to hire illegals, they should be required to do the same thing. Let them foot the bill for the benefits they are getting by paying low wages not the taxpayers.

I agree that the dole should stop. It has to start with not granting US citizenship to anyone born in this country to an illegal.

Shut the spigots off one at a time until there really isn't anything attractive about coming here.

But there will be a price to pay. Higher prices due to higher wages, and more jobs will leave the US for other countries that offer cheap labor.
You may be a skilled worker, but don't be surprised when your company moves to Mexico (or where ever) and your job goes right along with it.
My company shut down 5 plants in the last year laying off over 4000 mfg workers and professionals. Guess what? They tripled the capacity of the plant in Mexico and it is still open.
I've been running production in Mexico for over 10 years. But there are things that are better to run here in the US.

40 years ago, at least among the crowd I lived in, no one hired outsiders to take care of their yard or even to do more basic home improvement tasks.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:03 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It's easy to solve the illegal problem, penalize the companies hiring them and take the rich execs financing these companies to jail. There needs to be accountability at the top, taking every illegal to jail/deportation will not stop the flow.

No jobs, no illegals...done.
It's not that simple. It turns out that the US economy is actually doing better than a lot of countries including Mexico. There are no jobs back home for them to go to. Here, however, as long as they have children the benefits keep coming in until the kids are 18. I doubt if their own country is that generous. They are staying as long as the benefits are there.

NO JOBS + NO BENEFITS = hopefully, no illegals.

Last edited by davidt1; 05-22-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 03:06 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
40 years ago, at least among the crowd I lived in, no one hired outsiders to take care of their yard or even to do more basic home improvement tasks.
Heck, that's why my mom and dad had me and my siblings! Someone had to wash the cars!

Seriously, get kids to do these chores and give them a lesson on doing their part for the household.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Seriously, get kids to do these chores and give them a lesson on doing their part for the household.
...and you're likely to find yourself being investigated for child abuse and/or endangerment, indentured sewrvitude and failure to pay the employer's share of Social Security and workers' comp.

This is California, after all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California