Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 PM

20 posts, read 116,554 times

Advertisements

I read about someone's experience with the drivers license. They were talking about how it takes 6 wks to get a license and you can't use it for ID for a bank or at the airport. Is this true?
My Pet Peeve!! (for today)

I ask because I can renew my license here and they do not take my old license back so I'll end up with two licenses where I'll give one to the CA DMV and I'll keep my other one for ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
The test was easy, but there were a few obscure questions you'll need the booklet for. I believe it cost 28 dollars for the license. They told me it would take 4-6 weeks for my license to arrive in the mail but it came within a week a half at the very latest. It was probably about a week. I have also flown on an airplane while using it as my ID so I don't know who said that, but I was OK. I can't comment on the bank thing because I haven't opened a checking account here in CA yet. Hope that helps.

Note: Just read your link. He means the temp. card cannot be used as ID at the airport or at the bank. That is true. It's just a piece of paper and it's very cheap looking. So yeah, that's true. However, the 6 weeks in my case was extremely exaggerated and not having it didn't hurt me. I can see how it can be convenient but I also have a passport, so I had a backup just in case.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:04 PM

1 week isn't bad at all. I won't have an address for an apartment yet. I've got a hotel address so I guess that's the only option. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
I just went to the DMV yesterday to switch my Florida license to California. It was a very easy, painless process. I didn't even have an appointment.

Here's what happened yesterday for me:
I waited in a short line and they give me a number and while I was waiting filled out the paperwork, did the vision exam, paid $28, had my picture taken, took an easy written test, and was given a piece of paper that serves as my "temporary" license until I get my new permanent one in the mail.

You can either bring you birth certificate or your passport as additional identification. I used my passport.

I was given my Florida license back for my ID with a hole punched in the mag stripe to invalidate it.

Wasn't a horrible ordeal at all, and the people there were actually quite pleasant. I don't know where you're moving to in CA but I got mine done in San Diego, Clairemont office.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
The test was easy, but there were a few obscure questions you'll need the booklet for.
Is this the same test that I took for a learners permit? I looked through a practice test and it seemed like it involved memorizing lots of numbers ie distances and times.

Edit: The CA drivers manual is so much longer than the one here. 80 pages of stuff, but my learners test was only road signs and common sense things.

Last edited by gogetadbl; 05-30-2009 at 09:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California