U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2009, 01:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,744,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Oregon?
With a current unemployment rate in Oregon of 12%, it is more like the California of today.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:49 PM

11,979 posts, read 13,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
With a current unemployment rate in Oregon of 12%, it is more like the California of today.
OR has a high unemployment rate but it is in no danger of insolvency unlike California, Nevada, Arizona, or for that matter South Carolina.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,744,323 times
My understanding is that Oregon is projecting a budget deficit of 18% of their general fund for 2010. Washington state projects a 20% deficit.

It really is a west coast problem, not just a California problem.

Some of the proposals coming out of Oregon to balance their budget look like they are moving down the same path as California.

Oregon is currently working on 2 tax increases, both are nearing passage in Salem.

One would raise income taxes on the highest earners, single over $125,000 and joint filers over $250,000. The rate for them would rise from 9% to 10.8%. Also single filers over $250,000 and households over $500,000 would pay 11% on the income over those levels.

The second would increase business taxes. There would be higher minimum business tax amounts based on revenue and a top marginal rate of 7.9% for companies with net incomes over $250,000.
Two tax hikes move forward in Salem - Oregon, Northwest and National Politics & Elections News - Oregonlive.com

Raise taxes on the rich and business? Sounds like California politicians to me.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:07 AM

2,522 posts, read 1,892,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I think you might be surprised at just how non-prejudiced some non-diverse places can be. I currently live in one.

Aside from that, there are tons of misconceptions on this thread, and I've come to this conclusion:

California is Heaven.
California is Hell.
The rest of the country is quiet, peaceful and great.
The rest of the country is boring, ass-backwards and full of hicks.

It's settled now.

Again, good luck to the OP, I hope you find what you are looking for in CA. I hope you enjoy Fresno, it's a fine town.
lol, again it would seem to depend on the kind of lifestyle ya want.. personally I don't need or want "culture" or to be around lots of people, but I do enjoy nature, relaxing, and good weather.

There are several places I have in mind to move to, but will not mention them here as I don't want wealthy snobby people moving in and then complaining that the roads are gravel, and driving up our taxes.

It's colder then I would like where I live now, but I can handle it. Having a good job outweighs the need to leave for slightly warmer grounds. Plus, no state income tax here in South Dakota, either.. and Sioux Falls is a nice city.. it's nice to have a larger city nearby but having it be relatively unpopulated in the surrounding areas... where I'm thinking of going is really out there far away from anything, lol. I love to drive, just not in populated areas. Florida would drive me mad.. every mile of the land that can be developed is, people everywhere. ahhh!!! to each their own.

I'll leave SD the day they introduce a state income tax.

Last edited by stockwiz; 06-08-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 01:32 PM

1,634 posts, read 4,257,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are plenty of dirt bikers on the Central Coast, but CA central coast may be into more of a granola enclave, of which there are plenty there as well.
The central coast is roughly Monterey to Santa Barbara. I live in SLO County, which overall is a conservative area. There are plenty of guys who ride dirt bikes, especially in the N. Co. (Paso Robles, Atascadero, Templeton, San Miguel). My whole point to all of this is that IMAGE isn't a big issue here. I'm referring to SLO County. The City of San Luis Obispo is the only place practically where you'll find a smatter of it. Obviously, you have to live here to know what I mean. There aren't plenty of granola enclaves either, or any enclaves. The communities here aren't isolated from each other. They each have characteristics that are unique, but for the most part they're bunched together. The only enclave of any sort is Cambria.

My point was that here, IN SLO CO., nobody gives a f#*K what you drive, where you live, who your daddy is, the clothes you wear, the smell of your a$$, or if you still sport a mullet along with your socks and sandals. It's a good thing. That's why we can spot someone from L.A. in about 30 seconds after they open their mouth. Am I clear now?

Oh, the question about anywhere like the CA of old? I hear New Zealand is like CA was back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California