Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:36 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,807,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I wonder how his Latina wife is being treated in rural Indiana.
I think you might be surprised at just how non-prejudiced some non-diverse places can be. I currently live in one.

Aside from that, there are tons of misconceptions on this thread, and I've come to this conclusion:

California is Heaven.
California is Hell.
The rest of the country is quiet, peaceful and great.
The rest of the country is boring, ass-backwards and full of hicks.

It's settled now.

Again, good luck to the OP, I hope you find what you are looking for in CA. I hope you enjoy Fresno, it's a fine town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,771,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Wasn't California one of the few states to put
helpless minorities into concntration camps?
No. That was done by an executive order from FDR and it covered the entire west coast (ironically, not Hawaii, though, because it would have ruined their economy) and, eventually, Peru (at basically our command) and British Columbia, too (why Canada signed on to this madness, I have no idea).

However, it's true that then state Attorney General Earl Warren (remember, he was a Republican) was indeed a big proponent of the internment idea. Warren would later be a popular multi-term governor before Eisenhower put him on the Supreme Court.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,780,665 times
California is still by far the best place to live....particularly if you want the free lifestyle....

Did I forget to mention the fantastic weather?.....

Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,278,787 times
Indiana? I don't think so.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:11 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,700,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
California is still by far the best place to live....particularly if you want the free lifestyle....

Did I forget to mention the fantastic weather?.....
That's why I wouldn't leave until I retire. Getting up everyday and going to work in weather that sucks isn't appealing.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,303,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Cars and motocross are popular throughout Southern California and to a lesser extend Northern California. The central coast? Hardly anybody lives there, that is a rather small part of Californians population. Yes, I'm sure grandma and grandpa in the central coast are not tricking out their cars or riding motorcycles.

If you think all coastal communities are like, what are essentially retirement communities, on the central coast than I suggest you have gotten around much. The coastal areas of Southern California and the Bay area are some of the most expensive and materialistic areas around.
There are plenty of dirt bikers on the Central Coast, but CA central coast may be into more of a granola enclave, of which there are plenty there as well.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,303,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Don't believe anything you see posted here. CA has been sending more to other staes than it has been receiving for a few years now. The only growth in CA is the illegal influx. I have met hordes of people in TX from CA and many other states.
To be fair, you need to qualify that with native born. We have net influx of the foreign born. But that fact is also telling us something (something many are in denial about).

Old 06-05-2009, 04:26 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,450,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
That's why I wouldn't leave until I retire. Getting up everyday and going to work in weather that sucks isn't appealing.
LOL! I hear ya, from Nov-April you wake up and have to spend an extra hour de-icing your car, driving at snail speed due to ice as your fingers and toes go numb. Your car starts to rust after a few years and the interior get nasty from tracking in all the salt and slush. Our low this year was MINUS 21, with the wind chill factor it was MINUS 37, air that cold takes your breath away so would you really wanna retire and be "elderly" and have to deal with it? I would say nobody should ever have to be cursed with living in areas with 6+ months of sheer hell. That is another reason I wonder what is wrong with some of these CA natives moving here. Yeah cheap houses, everything else is the same price pretty much though.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,493,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Don't believe anything you see posted here. CA has been sending more to other staes than it has been receiving for a few years now.
In my post I said that the Midwest is the only region that's still sending more people to California than it's recieving people from California.

Every other region of the US is recieving more Californians than it's sending people to CA.

Quote:
I have met hordes of people in TX from CA and many other states.
Texas has one of the healthier economies in the US right now. So does Washington State (a major destination for Californians).

If you think EVERY state is recieving more Californians than it's sending, how many Californians are going to not just Indiana but its next door neighbor Michigan? The Midwest is in horrible shape, California is in horrible shape (and will eventually stop recieving illegals, too,due to the economic mess, or at least they'll just pass through en route to somewhere else), but not all of the US is in equally horrible shape.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,493,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
...Sooooo, is there any state today that is similar to the California of the past?
Oregon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California