U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM

8,266 posts, read 9,387,887 times
Default vehicle smog & moving permit in ca

Prior to 1-09 you would be able to pay your car registration & get a 60 day temporary operating permit to get your car smog,repaired,etc. Thats a thing of the past. Now you can only get a 1 day moving permit to get a smog test. If you fail smog & dont get it fixed that same day then you must get another 1 day moving permit to get it fixed. If you cant afford to pay for smog repairs then you gotta let car sit at home or the shop until you can. You then must get a 1 day moving pass to get car fixed/smogged. This is just one of many reasons i despise those bums/losers/cowards/thieves in the state capital. The law makers have wayyy too much time on their greedy lil hands. My car has been on a non op since 11-04 & i was going to re-register it in 2 months. Im not sure if ill pass smog. The last time the car was smogged & passed was 8-01 @ 114,000 miles. I currently have 117,000 miles. I did put a new $50.00 oxygen sensor on the car before my last smog (11-01). I will put in fresh gas & carb cleaner the day i smog car. I did replace vacume hoses a few months ago. Do you think ill pass smog ? BTW....if you want to check yours or anyone elses car smog history just go the folowing site. All you need to do is type in the license plate #. http://www.bar.ca.gov/applications/VehTests/PubTstQry.aspx (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:28 PM

7,213 posts, read 10,773,821 times
Like everything in life, follow the rules and life is simple... Most people drive cars in decent condition and have no such problems..
The rules are for a reason, follow them rather than fight them....

Old 06-11-2009, 02:56 PM

19,134 posts, read 13,374,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Like everything in life, follow the rules and life is simple... Most people drive cars in decent condition and have no such problems..
The rules are for a reason, follow them rather than fight them....

Yep! If you take care of your vehicle, get regular maintenance done and fix problems in a timely manner this law won't apply to you. My dad is a mechanic (and I was a licensed smog tech for a few years, until my license expired) and most often he fails peoples cars because they didn't take care of exhaust issues and let them go on and on for a long time. Got a broken cat? fix it. Exhaust leak? Fix it. Cracked manifold? Fix it.

Don't prolong it because it will eventually cause REALLY expensive damage to be done.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 PM

13,114 posts, read 23,395,010 times
Or you can have the car trailered with no 1 day trip permit required... as long as the vehicle is not upon a public roadway... it is not being operated...

Trailered is not the same as being towed...

You are right and I do agree with you... CA has been tightening smog rules and cars that were exempt or would have passed no longer do... I've been to hearing in Sacramento and spoke... didn't do much good.

At one time, vehicles over 25 years old were exempt from smog and then it was 30 years and now it's a fixed year...

Old 06-12-2009, 02:29 AM

I plan to go to a test only station cause i have seen & heard of too many people being burned at the smog/repair stations. My car is 24 yrs old & i just gotta get to the dmv first thing in the mornin. I need a front end alignment & thats just down the street. Often the rules are ignorant. Not all of us can afford repairs right away. A pre-test is $25.00. Maybe i can get a one time exempt. Its good till my next smog which will be in 2011. NO matter what its going to cost me. Maybe...just maybe ill register my car out of state. I have relatives in az. I did drive a car in the 90,s with out of state plates for 4 yrs. Never had one problem. Im sure though someone will snitch on me.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:21 AM

Probably... the State is aggressively asking people to turn in those with out of state plates and it can be done anonymously...

Local news said it was to make sure drivers pay their fair share of highway costs... funny thing is Highway costs were and still could be completely funded by the gasoline and diesel tax if it wasn't being syphoned to other projects...

CA is definitly become car unfriendly...

Old 06-12-2009, 03:40 AM

Well...im stuck between a rock & a hard place. Im poor but i need a car to go to work,va hospital,shopping,etc. I only drive when i have to. Gas is nearly $3.00 a gal & its still climbing. My car gets 14/19 mpg. Not too good ! Oh...lets not forget the vlf increase imposed during a recession. I have seen alot more people now driving with expired tags. Expired tags=no auto insurance. The CA DMV has only gotten worse & MUCH more greedy. Its all though to blame on the cowardly/greedy ca legislature & washed up ex actor gov.benedict arnold. They are all a waste of skin. Im sure paul cook of yucaipa is reading this & saying to himself " this guy speaks the truth but he cant do a damn thing about it". Its ashame the public unions own the legislature.

Last edited by steel7; 06-12-2009 at 03:52 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 PM

I was pulled over by the CHP last Saturday... no idea why. I just pulled to the shoulder, turned off my truck and put the keys on the Dash.

The officer came up, looking at me through my side view mirror the whole way.

She asked if I knew why I was stopped and I said said no...

She said I'm driving with expired tags

I provided my license, insurance and registration showing my vehicle license current.

This is the 4th time in 7 years that a current sticker has been stolen from one of my vehciles... it has happened to others and we all work in San Leandro.

Even the razor blade slice doesn't seem to deter... I could still see pieces of sticker on the plate.

I think CA is serious about vehicle license fees and the CHP has been told it's a revenue source to help fund the department.

She could see my tags were due in July and I told her I already paid, which she verified... I was good to go...

Old 06-13-2009, 05:21 AM

A friend of mine got pulled over by the CHP a few days ago on I10 freeway between redlands/yucaipa. His tages were expired but he had just come from the dmv in redlands & had his one day operating permit to get his car smogged. The idiot cop wrote him a fix it ticket even though he had all the proper documents (insurance,paid registration,permit). I guess it was a slow day for the california highway patrolman. What a jerk!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 16,905 times
Only 33 million vehicles registered through Ca DMV alone. Each of wich pay. What is it now $130.00. Idk mine is $400.00 at the moment. All of wich I would gladly pay. Just Remind me agin why we the people would give any orginization power over our laws. Or show me ware all that... no just show me ware half of all that money goes. It will all hit the fan soon and DMV will **** the bed our country will fly proudly out of debt and we all live happely ever after. THE END
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California