U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:46 PM

108 posts, read 174,979 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please offer advice on renting long distance.
My family & I will be leaving MA around August 10 and need to have apartment rented in time for our son to begin school at the Aascadero Fine Arts Academy by the 1st day of school (Aug 24) or he will lose his space.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....
Gracie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 PM

5,767 posts, read 7,310,482 times
California apartments and apartment reviews - ApartmentRatings.com

Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 8,079,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie09 View Post
My family & I will be leaving MA around August 10 and need to have apartment rented in time for our son to begin school at the Aascadero Fine Arts Academy by the 1st day of school (Aug 24) or he will lose his space.

Gracie
Just be careful .... needless to say.
I just lost 4K to a crooked landlord! and it looks like i'll have to take him to small claims court and, even if i win the claim, collecting the $$$ he owes me is not a guarantee.
He took my money and didn't provide with the rental property ... just blatant thievery! I'm still in shock. What people are capable of doing to each other blows my mind
That's my sob story.
I'd definitely consider using a reputable property management co. to avoid thieving individuals.
Even if it cost you extra money it's worth avoiding the risk of potentially losing a lot more.
Here's a link to a google page for property management co's in Atascadero. Good luck.
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl...fp=-o7cV-g1cmY

Old 06-14-2009, 09:45 AM

1,634 posts, read 4,299,434 times
Atascadero Fine Arts Academy? I'm not familiar with that school. As a previous poster stated, go through a property manager just to make sure. Atascadero has a mid-western feel to it in attitude, good people. But why take the chance.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 PM

2,072 posts, read 8,363,955 times
It's really difficult renting long distance without seeing the property and the area. Just make sure it's not a scam. I agree with coyo and CA Central - go through a reputable property management company.

Good luck and let us know what happens !!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 AM

19,126 posts, read 15,169,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Atascadero Fine Arts Academy? I'm not familiar with that school. As a previous poster stated, go through a property manager just to make sure. Atascadero has a mid-western feel to it in attitude, good people. But why take the chance.

It's a little 'private' school right next to the Junior High that caters to music/drama/etc. students. They built it not long after I graduated Jr High, but the kids that go through that school don't do much better than the kids going through 'normal' school. I was still in the county honor band without the 'Fine Farts Academy'. Oh how I miss the silly jokes from Jr. High

Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 AM

19,126 posts, read 15,169,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie09 View Post

Gracie

I think Mira Vista and Bordeaux will rent sight unseen, but they're pretty shady complexes. I'll agree with the other posters in saying you should get in touch with a few property management companies (except for Summers Property Management, stay far far away from them) and just tell them your story.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,554,792 times
Just make sure the "landlord" isn't in Nigeria....

Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM

2,072 posts, read 8,363,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Just make sure the "landlord" isn't in Nigeria....
HA HA HA -- too funny

Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 AM

108 posts, read 174,979 times
Thanks for all the info.
After having spoken with several management companies we have decided to start out on our journey sooner so as to look at places ourselves. We would definitely rather rent a house in a family-friendly neighborhood for our children, and you just can't gage that sort of thing from a distance even if they broker isn't Nigerian.

Oh, FYI: Fine Arts Academy is an independent school with extra courses in art, drama, & dance incorporated into a regular day with other core cirriculum. (4th-8th gr.) I don't expect it touts its self as superior, at least not in the dealings I have had with them so far, but for one of our children in particular having a regularly incorporated way to engage in his much loved art & music, & learning in a multi-age cooperative classroom is the perfect approach for his learning style. Our younger daughter and older son will likely go to the neighborhood school we are closest to. I have heard good things, I hope they are true.?

Really like the idea of a small close knit town. We have never tried to "keep up with the Jones" and I'm not looking to live somewhere where that is expected now. CA certainly has sprawled since my last visit in 04', it took us a long time to find a place that didn't seem to be never ending in its expansion. Some people think that makes us backward but, I like a small town especially for my children..
The first time I tried to invite "friends" from where we live now to dinner, they looked at me like they didn't understand English.. I am hoping I am right in thinking that Atascadero is not this way.?

We'll be leaving MA around July 16 or 17 camping along the way. Making stops to see sights & family DC, Memphis etc. Hope to be arriving right at the end of July beginning of August. Promised the kids we'd keep a travel blog along the way, must get that set up. Love to hear from families already in Atascadero....Let you know as we get closer.

Thanks All,
Gracie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California