Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I wish all those big box chain stores and restaurants would go away. It would be nice if downtown SLO ONLY had local small businesses.
stop complaining. there is no mall.

san francisco has no wal-mart, target, or k-mart.
san luis obispo has no mall
santa cruz has only costco in the city, and the other department stores r in capitola and watsonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Quote:
I wish all those big box chain stores and restaurants would go away. It would be nice if downtown SLO ONLY had local small businesses.
It is up to us, isn't it? We, the consumer, feed the corporatist megaliths. We make the choice that price is the bottom line, quality and community be damned. We not only give both Wall Street and Pennsylvania Ave control over our lives, but we feed the twin monsters, too?

Death by Cop? This is death by extreme economic myopia.

S.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:25 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

santa cruz has only costco in the city, and the other department stores r in capitola and watsonville.
Yeah, I'm very very glad there isn't a mall. I don't just sit here and complain though, I'm involved in several groups that oppose big box and corporate stores going up in the county. Interesting, weird, ecclectic stores and restaurants attract consumers and tourists, not Walmarts and Targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
It is up to us, isn't it? We, the consumer, feed the corporatist megaliths. We make the choice that price is the bottom line, quality and community be damned. We not only give both Wall Street and Pennsylvania Ave control over our lives, but we feed the twin monsters, too?

Death by Cop? This is death by extreme economic myopia.

S.

Very nicely said. It's all about disposable, cheap items that are bad for you, and bad for the world around you.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:

So you already know the S.C. area ... why ask in the first place?

Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
So you already know the S.C. area ... why ask in the first place?
I don't know about the area. I never been there. But, I can surf the web and look at their downtown website

Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm very very glad there isn't a mall. I don't just sit here and complain though, I'm involved in several groups that oppose big box and corporate stores going up in the county. Interesting, weird, ecclectic stores and restaurants attract consumers and tourists, not Walmarts and Targets.

Very nicely said. It's all about disposable, cheap items that are bad for you, and bad for the world around you.
Well, I do the same except opposite. Im involved in groups that are for pro-growth in the area. San Luis Obispo Downtown is what it is. So stop trying to change something that is already not going to change. You can prevent a shopping center, but you can't change something that is already built. Downtown SLO brings in alot of tax revenue from the college students and high schoolers who shop and hang out there. If it wasn't for the Downtown Center that high schoolers and college students frequent, the Court Street Center where rich girls spend their money, and for the other other youth-orientated chains in downtown then there would be no purpose to maintain the downtown. Downtown SLO was nothing until the chains came in. And btw, downtown SLO has had chains always!!! First it had JcPenney's and Sears and other mall stores. Then the Central Coast Mall came in, and then when the Central Coast Mall left the downtown got it's downtown fashion district back. Ross went into downtown, next Downtown Center went in, and then Copeland Sports went in.

Im living without a mall in this area. So why cant you just live with there being some chains in downtown?

Do you think city council members care if people protest us having an Urban Outfitters here or that Forever 21 is replacing Gottschalks versus a traditional department store like Macy's, JcPenney's, or Dillards? No because the majority of people living in San Luis Obispo are Cal Poly or Cuesta college students. And most people shopping in that city are the younger generation. High schoolers from all over the county, cuesta students, cal poly students, mid-age guys and girls, and then some retirees are the ones who shop in the city. If the local stores were a "real" tourist attraction, and brought in revenue then I think the city council would allow for there to be more.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Well, I do the same except opposite. Im involved in groups that are for pro-growth in the area. San Luis Obispo Downtown is what it is. So stop trying to change something that is already not going to change. You can prevent a shopping center, but you can't change something that is already built. Downtown SLO brings in alot of tax revenue from the college students and high schoolers who shop and hang out there. If it wasn't for the Downtown Center that high schoolers and college students frequent, the Court Street Center where rich girls spend their money, and for the other other youth-orientated chains in downtown then there would be no purpose to maintain the downtown. Downtown SLO was nothing until the chains came in. And btw, downtown SLO has had chains always!!! First it had JcPenney's and Sears and other mall stores. Then the Central Coast Mall came in, and then when the Central Coast Mall left the downtown got it's downtown fashion district back. Ross went into downtown, next Downtown Center went in, and then Copeland Sports went in.

Im living without a mall in this area. So why cant you just live with there being some chains in downtown?

Do you think city council members care if people protest us having an Urban Outfitters here or that Forever 21 is replacing Gottschalks versus a traditional department store like Macy's, JcPenney's, or Dillards? No because the majority of people living in San Luis Obispo are Cal Poly or Cuesta college students. And most people shopping in that city are the younger generation. High schoolers from all over the county, cuesta students, cal poly students, mid-age guys and girls, and then some retirees are the ones who shop in the city. If the local stores were a "real" tourist attraction, and brought in revenue then I think the city council would allow for there to be more.
It's fine if they go into existing locations, I just don't like the fact that they want to build new locations and destroy the farmland that once made this city what it is today. I purposely moved out of Atascadero to a 'no growth' area because they plan on building the Wal Mart there. I think it's going to turn the town into something terrible, but that's just my opinion. I moved, which is what so many people say to do.. if you don't like it, move.

The reason I don't like chain stores?? Everything is generic. There's never anything interesting unless you go with the whatever the status quo tells you to do. I can guarantee you can find the EXACT SAME piece of clothing at probably 10 different stores all within walking distance of eachother. Why is that exciting to some people?? Once you build a 'mall' or 'shopping center' or whatever neat little descriptor store you want, you NEVER EVER get the land back. It's destroyed forever, and you seem perfectly okay with that as long as you can buy the exact same pair of jeans at 5 different places.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
It's fine if they go into existing locations, I just don't like the fact that they want to build new locations and destroy the farmland that once made this city what it is today. I purposely moved out of Atascadero to a 'no growth' area because they plan on building the Wal Mart there. I think it's going to turn the town into something terrible, but that's just my opinion. I moved, which is what so many people say to do.. if you don't like it, move.

The reason I don't like chain stores?? Everything is generic. There's never anything interesting unless you go with the whatever the status quo tells you to do. I can guarantee you can find the EXACT SAME piece of clothing at probably 10 different stores all within walking distance of eachother. Why is that exciting to some people?? Once you build a 'mall' or 'shopping center' or whatever neat little descriptor store you want, you NEVER EVER get the land back. It's destroyed forever, and you seem perfectly okay with that as long as you can buy the exact same pair of jeans at 5 different places.
Okay, the reason for having so many different stores is this: price
The more stores, the more competition, and the lower prices.
Also, different stores carry different brands that have different styles. And everyone wants to fit into a "certain" clique. So they have the same certain amount of jeans, shirts, etc... Plus, it's easier to look the same and not worry about being different.

And people need selection, diversity, and a variety of places to go. And stores make-up their prices with all this in common. They need certain products to sell alot. Sometimes people buy the "unpopular" or "pricey" product to have something different. Most "popular" or "cheap" products are the common products.

And people like the chain resturaunts because they are cheaper, and quicker, and have more to offer than some local resturaunts.

Also, the Super Walmart in Atascadero is going in an existing shopping center. I think it will have bad affects for people in that neighborhood with noise, traffic, and lights but like u said if u dont like it move. The community as a whole needs the tax revenue. And the Target in San Luis Obispo will probably not go through because there is no solution to traffic there, so you won that project. And also, the Golden Hills Plaza in Paso Robles is along highway 46 east where there is already alot of development.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Okay, the reason for having so many different stores is this: price
The more stores, the more competition, and the lower prices.
Also, different stores carry different brands that have different styles. And everyone wants to fit into a "certain" clique. So they have the same certain amount of jeans, shirts, etc... Plus, it's easier to look the same and not worry about being different.

And people need selection, diversity, and a variety of places to go. And stores make-up their prices with all this in common. They need certain products to sell alot. Sometimes people buy the "unpopular" or "pricey" product to have something different. Most "popular" or "cheap" products are the common products.

And people like the chain resturaunts because they are cheaper, and quicker, and have more to offer than some local resturaunts.

Also, the Super Walmart in Atascadero is going in an existing shopping center. I think it will have bad affects for people in that neighborhood with noise, traffic, and lights but like u said if u dont like it move. The community as a whole needs the tax revenue. And the Target in San Luis Obispo will probably not go through because there is no solution to traffic there, so you won that project. And also, the Golden Hills Plaza in Paso Robles is along highway 46 east where there is already alot of development.
To each his/her own. I hate malls and big box shopping centers and you'll never change my mind. You want to turn SLO (which is a beautiful place) into Orange County and I'll probably never change your mind. What I recommend is leaving SLO alone and moving down south to where you'd fit in better, just like I moved away from North County to get away from the ridiculous sprawl.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
I would have to say SLO's downtown is more than just substantial because it cators as a hang-out place for teens and college students. The Court Street Center (upscale mix-used center) has Talbots, Chicos, Abercrombie and Fitch, Banana Republic, Aveda Salon Lux, Pottery Barn, Sephora, and Peet's Coffee. Then there is also the Downtown Center (mix-used center) which has California Pizza Kitchen, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Gap, Express, The Apple Store, Barnes N Nobles, Papyrus, a movie theater, Sunglass Hut, and Solstice Sunglasses. Both mix-used centers are along Higuera and Marsh Street which is the fashion district of downtown. There also some funky shops, bars, and local stores. Also, there is an urban outfitters, ross, beverley fabrics, aaron bros, patrick james, and more along hiquera and marsh street.
So, if you already had a detailed perception of both areas, why did you bother to ask the question as though you were seeking other poster insights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California