Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:11 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,708,528 times

Advertisements

Is Pacific Garden Mall in Santa Cruz like Downtown Center in San Luis Obispo? Or is it more of just some streets that have some resturaunts and stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:20 AM

169 posts, read 762,047 times
the city......
Seriously????

Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,692,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Is Pacific Garden Mall in Santa Cruz like Downtown Center in San Luis Obispo? Or is it more of just some streets that have some resturaunts and stores?
i've never been to San Luis Obispo but the main part of downtown S.C. is a bunch of streets with shops and places to eat, Pacific being the main or center stretch of it.
with lots of little side streets. Kinda basic ... no big deal.
One end is more "high end" with fancier shops and the other end is much more "funky" ... head shops, places to buy new and used music, street folks, etc. and then the side streets from one end to the other end are eclectic with various different shops and eat places and some offices.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,111,771 times
I've been to both within the past year, and would say that San Luis Obispo is more of a substantial downtown area, while the Santa Cruz area seems somewhat more tourist oriented, with a bit more of an entertainment focus.

San Luis Obispo's Thursday Farmer's Market is quite a bit of fun, and very lively.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I've been to both within the past year, and would say that San Luis Obispo is more of a substantial downtown area, while the Santa Cruz area seems somewhat more tourist oriented, with a bit more of an entertainment focus.

San Luis Obispo's Thursday Farmer's Market is quite a bit of fun, and very lively.
I would have to say SLO's downtown is more than just substantial because it cators as a hang-out place for teens and college students. The Court Street Center (upscale mix-used center) has Talbots, Chicos, Abercrombie and Fitch, Banana Republic, Aveda Salon Lux, Pottery Barn, Sephora, and Peet's Coffee. Then there is also the Downtown Center (mix-used center) which has California Pizza Kitchen, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Gap, Express, The Apple Store, Barnes N Nobles, Papyrus, a movie theater, Sunglass Hut, and Solstice Sunglasses. Both mix-used centers are along Higuera and Marsh Street which is the fashion district of downtown. There also some funky shops, bars, and local stores. Also, there is an urban outfitters, ross, beverley fabrics, aaron bros, patrick james, and more along hiquera and marsh street.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,257,642 times
Quote:
I would have to say SLO's downtown is more than just substantial because it cators as a hang-out place for teens and college students. The Court Street Center (upscale mix-used center) has Talbots, Chicos, Abercrombie and Fitch, Banana Republic, Aveda Salon Lux, Pottery Barn, Sephora, and Peet's Coffee. Then there is also the Downtown Center (mix-used center) which has California Pizza Kitchen, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Gap, Express, The Apple Store, Barnes N Nobles, Papyrus, a movie theater, Sunglass Hut, and Solstice Sunglasses. Both mix-used centers are along Higuera and Marsh Street which is the fashion district of downtown. There also some funky shops, bars, and local stores. Also, there is an urban outfitters, ross, beverley fabrics, aaron bros, patrick james, and more along hiquera and marsh street.
Sorry, that sounds horrible. Advice: claiming downtown SLO as the home of chains is not going to win points. How about some authentic locally-produced flavour?

Is this what the US is coming to? Franchises and chains even in quirky places like SLO (or at least the SLO I recall)? How sad!

Thank God for places like Santa Cruz!

S.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,692,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Sorry, that sounds horrible. Advice: claiming downtown SLO as the home of chains is not going to win points. How about some authentic locally-produced flavour?

Is this what the US is coming to? Franchises and chains even in quirky places like SLO (or at least the SLO I recall)? How sad!

S.
Santa Cruz has changed.
I still love it here but it's not what it used to be.
Money comes in .... the rich recognize and then want the magic of a place and gobble it up 'cause they just gotta OWN it and they spoil it.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:55 PM

184 posts, read 446,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

S.
Exactly. Sounds a lot like anywhere America to me. I like SLO but not for any of the reasons you listed, you should enjoy the character the city still has, not the cookie cutter developments.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Santa Cruz has changed.
I still love it here but it's not what it used to be.
Money comes in .... the rich recognize and then want the magic of a place and gobble it up 'cause they just gotta OWN it and they spoil it.
Yeah, Santa Cruz is not any better than SLO.

Borders, Regal Cinemas, American Apparel, Gap, Gap Kids, Urban Outfitters, O'Neil, Trader Joes, Longs Drugs, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Acapulco, Quizno's, El Polo Loco, Subway, Taco Bell, Fosters Freeze, Cold Stones, and more bars and theaters than SLO's downtown

Im sorry, but Santa Cruz has about as many chains as SLO. SLO has a bigger downtown, so it has more chains and more local stores. SLO's downtown just doesnt have as many theaters and bars.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,536,044 times
Quote:
Yeah, Santa Cruz is not any better than SLO.

Borders, Regal Cinemas, American Apparel, Gap, Gap Kids, Urban Outfitters, O'Neil, Trader Joes, Longs Drugs, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Acapulco, Quizno's, El Polo Loco, Subway, Taco Bell, Fosters Freeze, Cold Stones, and more bars and theaters than SLO's downtown

Im sorry, but Santa Cruz has about as many chains as SLO. SLO has a bigger downtown, so it has more chains and more local stores. SLO's downtown just doesnt have as many theaters and bars.

I wish all those big box chain stores and restaurants would go away. It would be nice if downtown SLO ONLY had local small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California