Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The situation is hopeless, the Federal Government needs to bail out California
Yes, they can not support themselves 0 0%
No, just raise taxes and cut spending 22 73.33%
Yes, but it will not be called a bailout 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I would and am. Being retired and planning to stay that way, considerably lower taxes were a large consideration in leaving California and had a lot to do with where we've chosen to end up.

Again, a lot. My wife and I worked legislation and politics for the state for a congregate 35 years and we know from personal experience how dysfunctional this state is politically and governmentally. We're also not in agreement with the direction in which it's heading. For the most part, extreme liberalism and "progressiveness" equates to higher taxes on those with decent incomes to give the money they've earned to those who haven't.

Not our idea of an equitable situation, especially when it's being done for votes, not for altruism.
Because of the increasing tax burden, my wife and I went from, 5 years ago, thinking we'd retire in situ in the Bay Area (we are fortunate enough to technically be able to make it work, just barely), to now, pretty much deciding we'll eventually sell out and leave the Bay if not the state. It's a done deal. We're not in a hurry, but that is our long term plan. Of course, if Rustbeltitis really starts to take off here, we can expedite our exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 05:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
I would and am.
There's always the 2%.

Also, would you stay if your California State income taxes were exactly the same as your destination state?

Last edited by Charles; 06-16-2009 at 05:21 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 06:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There's always the 2%.

Also, would you stay if your California State income taxes were exactly the same as your destination state?
Reread my second response. An equal tax burden wouldn't make up for my disdain for California's governance, its permissive attitudes (except for Nanny government's) nor the fact that I've become a minority in my own state. I want to move back to America. This isn't it any longer.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,015 times
Quote:
Reread my second response. An equal tax burden wouldn't make up for my disdain for California's governance, its permissive attitudes (except for Nanny government's) nor the fact that I've become a minority in my own state. I want to move back to America. This isn't it any longer.
I agree.
Taxes are the symptom, they are not the disease.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
No bailouts!! Not for me, not for anyone. I have bills - I pay them. If I can't afford to pay them, then I don't make them. End of story.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,243 times
California needs to cut back, and spend far less. I know people who live in California and they are upset. Vehicle registration went up, sales tax increased and I believe sales tax on gasoline.

Arizona is experiencing it billions of dollar deficit.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How many would leave? What percentage? 1 out of 5? 1 out of 10? 1 out of 100? 1 out of 500?

Raise state taxes how much higher? 5%? 20%, 25%? Big deal; that alone would drive you to pack up an leave?

With everything else being equal, how many people would pick up and move, away from their families, their jobs, their familiarity, the Southern California weather, simply due to higher state taxes?
I think you bring up a good pont. But you're also missing the point. If you look at the long term trend, California has exhibited the exact attitude that you describe.

Sure, any ONE tax increase, any ONE extra regulation any few extra illegal immigrants depending on the tax payers for schools, health care, etc, is only going to send away a few people at the margins.

But over the last 20 years, as a result of this kind of complacent attitude, we have lost many of our middle class folks and have become more and more of a haves/have nots state and it has hurt our tax base tremendously. It's a gradual process.....gradual enough that a lot of people don't see it even though it's happening right under their noses...kind of like that 'frog in a boiling pot of water analogy' where if you turn up the heat gradually, the frog will boil to death. (This actually isn't true with frogs...the frog will eventually jump out....but it does seem to apply to humans).

Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
That was proposed years ago by Diane Feinstein when she was Mayor of SF. It was deemed illegal; it is the job of the Feds to control the border.
This is true. But seriously, California doesn't really try to do much about the issue. The Democrats in the legislature WANT to have a large underclass dependent on them so they can get votes. That's why places like San Francisco are "sanctuary" cities for illegal immigrants..'cause some people are making money or becoming powerful off the illegals (and it isn't just Republicans).

Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Cut services and the poor will flee reducing the burden on the tax payers.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the wealthy and the business already have fleas.
they need a pest exterminator asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: