Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The situation is hopeless, the Federal Government needs to bail out California
Yes, they can not support themselves 0 0%
No, just raise taxes and cut spending 22 73.33%
Yes, but it will not be called a bailout 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:31 AM

40 posts, read 160,436 times

Advertisements

my solution is weird but:
1. get loan or bailout from Fed to get thru the immediate trouble
2. extend spending (yes, not cut back) to create more jobs so unemployment will be lower
3. collect taxes; since unemployment is lower, more taxes comes in...and because people are no longer unemployed, they no longer cut back on their spending..thus more sale tax...and also more income tax...and because the economy is better in CA, more business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Major parts of the problem:
1) Too much direct democracy. It's too easy for everyone's pet project to get on the ballot. While it seems a good thing to require money to be restricted to the intiative or amendment approved, this is why so much of the budget is out of the government's hands
2) Supermajority needed in state legislature. To pass anything more than a simple majority is need. Since CA is a divided state, the dems are very liberal and repubs are very conservative. A minority of the legislature can deadlock anything from passing. You'd think a compromise: cutting spending and raising taxes, and of course, even more borrowing would be a logical compromise (a little of everything), but the politicians, and their constituents, refuse to see that their perfect can be the enemy of the good.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa12345 View Post
my solution is weird but:
1. get loan or bailout from Fed to get thru the immediate trouble
2. extend spending (yes, not cut back) to create more jobs so unemployment will be lower
3. collect taxes; since unemployment is lower, more taxes comes in...and because people are no longer unemployed, they no longer cut back on their spending..thus more sale tax...and also more income tax...and because the economy is better in CA, more business
Extend spending, please tell, how will that help? That is one of the problems with California now, too little money, too much spending. Seems like everyone wants a bailout, I think I should ask for mine tomorrow..

Nita

Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Spend with what money? The federal spending spree has done nothing and Biden even fessed up that they were just guessing as to how much effect this would have on the economy. Some folks got a whole lot of our money with no results. CA will be a mirror image of the fed bailout. Pet projects will see funds but the layoffs will escalate.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:07 AM

170 posts, read 463,152 times
I think the poll is missing an option "No Fed bailout, the State Legislature must stop spending". The state and public-schools work forces grew by 24% from 1997 & 2007 which means we had/have 895,000+ state employees drawing a paycheck and benefits. Within that employment pool each of their respective unions have been clamoring and gotten increased pay and benefits. Now, can anyone tell us where the taxpayer has gotten a return on its investment? Have our schools or our government services improved for those added employees and increased taxes? Heck no!
Giving federally acquired tax dollars (the stimulus money) to the same crooks who got us into this mess will not fix us. In fact the Feds will no doubt have their own "strings" which will add more taxpayer burden. No thanks!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Extend spending, please tell, how will that help? That is one of the problems with California now, too little money, too much spending. Seems like everyone wants a bailout, I think I should ask for mine tomorrow..

Nita

Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Again, a lot. My wife and I worked legislation and politics for the state for a congregate 35 years and we know from personal experience how dysfunctional this state is politically and governmentally. We're also not in agreement with the direction in which it's heading. For the most part, extreme liberalism and "progressiveness" equates to higher taxes on those with decent incomes to give the money they've earned to those who haven't.

Not our idea of an equitable situation, especially when it's being done for votes, not for altruism.
Weren't you a government employee for most of those 35 years? And so, weren't you part of the problem as you define it - a government bureaucrat sucking off the taxpayers' teat? And now that you are retired - now that the gravy train has ended for you - you decide to badmouth California? How convenient.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Reread my second response. An equal tax burden wouldn't make up for my disdain for California's governance, its permissive attitudes (except for Nanny government's) nor the fact that I've become a minority in my own state. I want to move back to America. This isn't it any longer.
Your own state? Since when did you own the state? And where is it written that you - a Caucasian - are entitled to be always the majority in the state - as if the demographic changes in California are somehow depriving you of your divine right to be the master race of the state?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times
Yes, everyone who works for government is the enemy unless of course they are a state park ranger, teacher, fireman, or social worker, or nurse, or......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Weren't you a government employee for most of those 35 years? And so, weren't you part of the problem as you define it - a government bureaucrat sucking off the taxpayers' teat? And now that you are retired - now that the gravy train has ended for you - you decide to badmouth California? How convenient.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Yes, everyone who works for government is the enemy unless of course they are a state park ranger, teacher, fireman, or social worker, or nurse, or......
They are the enemy, as defined by Curmudgeon (who himself used to work for state government, getting paid with taxpayer dollars).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: