Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The situation is hopeless, the Federal Government needs to bail out California
Yes, they can not support themselves 0 0%
No, just raise taxes and cut spending 22 73.33%
Yes, but it will not be called a bailout 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,512,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You kind of put Curmudgeon in a "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" situation.

If you work in the public sector and criticize its inefficiency, then someone like you will come along and say "hey you lived off the government teat, how dare you say that?".

And if Curmudgeon keeps his mouth shut and goes with the typical liberal philosophy, he would say "If the state would just increase taxes, then it would solve all our problems". Of course, that's a classic conflict of interest. I mean, what state worker wants to bite off the hand that feeds them?

If he had never gone into state government, then your answer probably would have been something along the lines of "Oh, these greedy businessmen. They exploit the underprivileged and then the state has to help them."

So you've created a no-win situation here.
No one forced Curmudgeon to work for the government. He could have been in business for himself or worked for private corporations. Yet he chose to work for the government. He worked there for 35 years, knowing all along that California state government is the creature of liberal interests. Liberal politics in California is nothing new. It goes all the way back many decades. Surely Curmudgeon knew this, yet he chose to accept checks every payday for 35 years, adding to the ballooning California state budget.

That's why I don't find Curmudgeon's rants against California credible. He certainly isn't the best spokesman against California's big government liberalism, having been an avid beneficiary of the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If he had never gone into state government, then your answer probably would have been something along the lines of "Oh, these greedy businessmen. They exploit the underprivileged and then the state has to help them."
Actually, MT, whoseit has it wrong from the get-go. I stated that my wife and I spent a congregate better part of 35 years in legislation and politics for the state. Thinking back it was a mere 32 (my bad) -- 15 for her and 17 for me Perhaps his comprehension of multisyllabic words is impaired. She retired after those 15 and I retired after 25. The first eight were spent in law enforcement for the state.

As for knowingly working for the state, yes I did. Despite my somewhat different approach to the prevalent philosophy I was able to accomplish some good by writing, having authored and seeing passed and signed into law some bills that greatly increased protections for various citizen groups. I was also able, by testifying against them in legislative committee hearings, to kill a number of bills that would have been detrimental.

Some of us take the easy way for self-aggrandizement. Others of us swim against the tide for the greater good.

By the way, according to his boast, he's the greedy businessman.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-17-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Actually, MT, whoseit has it wrong from the get-go. I stated that my wife and I spent a congregate better part of 35 years in legislation and politics for the state.
Congregate means to gather. People congregate. Years don't. That's the wrong usage of an English word. And when you say "better part", you don't add congregate to it as that would be a redundancy. I'm sorry, but it seems you are unable to write in proper basic English. How are you different from immigrants who can't speak English very well?

Quote:
As for knowingly working for the state, yes I did. Despite my somewhat different approach to the prevalent philosophy I was able to accomplish some good by writing, having authored and seeing passed and signed into law some bills that greatly increased protections for various citizen groups. I was also able, by testifying against them in legislative committee hearings, to kill a number of bills that would have been detrimental.
I'm sure all other state employees think the way you do: that they were able to accomplish some good during their stint. I mean, would anyone actually admit that they were simply cogs in the bureaucratic wheel, receiving a paycheck for very little work? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure many of them do valuable work. But you seem to be implying - given your stance towards the state government - that you are the saint in a den of thieves; that you stand out among the rest because your work is more noble than theirs. Are you really this self righteous?

Quote:
Some of us take the easy way for self-aggrandizement. Others of us swim against the tide for the greater good.
See what I mean? Swimming against the tide for the greater good? Obviously you are describing yourself in glowing heroic terms. And did you have a hard time swimming while carrying such a heavy load of self righteousness?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Congregate means to gather. People congregate. Years don't. That's the wrong usage of an English word. And when you say "better part", you don't add congregate to it as that would be a redundancy. I'm sorry, but it seems you are unable to write in proper basic English. How are you different from immigrants who can't speak English very well?

I'm sure all other state employees think the way you do: that they were able to accomplish some good during their stint. I mean, would anyone actually admit that they were simply cogs in the bureaucratic wheel, receiving a paycheck for very little work? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure many of them do valuable work. But you seem to be implying - given your stance towards the state government - that you are the saint in a den of thieves; that you stand out among the rest because your work is more noble than theirs. Are you really this self righteous?

See what I mean? Swimming against the tide for the greater good? Obviously you are describing yourself in glowing heroic terms. And did you have a hard time swimming while carrying such a heavy load of self righteousness?
Congregate as an ajective: providing or being group services or facilities

You're a nasty little piece of work. When youihave nothing else you try to put words in people's mouths that they didn't utter and never intended or even implied. Have Mommy wash your mouth out and put you to bed..

Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,266,996 times
When you fight a global war everyone pays,read your history books.
Or do you think we are not "at war"?

Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Congregate as an ajective: providing or being group services or facilities
It's spelled adjective, not ajective.

Quote:
You're a nasty little piece of work. When youihave nothing else you try to put words in people's mouths that they didn't utter and never intended or even implied. Have Mommy wash your mouth out and put you to bed..
Oh, don't be such a cry baby. I'm merely using your standards on you. You've attacked California's bloated state government when you yourself was a major reason for that bloat. You attacked immigrants for not speaking English, but you can barely write and spell English words correctly. Shall I teach you how to spell HYPOCRISY correctly too?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,716,205 times
I am glad to see the Police and Fire employees getting decent pay for a thankless job. Some unions are abusive and need to retire, but as far as police and fire go, I would support even higher salaries for them. Try living in the slums of San Francisco on $50,000 a year while putting your life on the line. You have plenty of other abusive programs, like welfare, SSI for those who have "bad backs" and benefits to illegal aliens to blame for the crisis in CA.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,342,669 times
ndfmnlf is just being contrary for the sake of being annoying. One of those debate just to debate types.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
ndfmnlf is just being contrary for the sake of being annoying. One of those debate just to debate types.
Yup! One of those "doesn't have a life" and "doesn't amount to much" types who tries to bolster his shriveled ego by minimizing others. It's the only way he can look good to himself though it makes him pathetic to others. Actually, I find him rather pitiable.
'
But I'm glad to know I was a "major reason for that bloat." I never knew I had that much power, authority and impact. That being the case I think the state owes me a small fortune in back out-of-class pay.

But of course I don't type all that well so they may use that as an excuse to deny me.

Too funny!

Back on target, listening to and reading about the machinations taking place in the Capitol this week I have little confidence there will be any lasting change. Everything points to more bandaids but no cure. The idealogs on both sides of the aisle have blocked meaningful reform for far too long to break the habit and the people of California, which the Governor has publicly declared I'm not one of, will continue to create additional categorical spending mandates through the initiative process.

What I think has really stuck in the craw of many has been the proposed and actual shifting of funds from their intended purposes to other policy areas. Even Darrell Steinberg's "pride and joy," Proposition 83, the Mental Health Services Act, was offered up as a sacraficial lamb to redirect funding. I'm sure those in the upper income levels would really appreciate their extra tax of 1% being used for other purposes. What an inducement to stick around. NOT!

As for the decreased support for various social services, those are going to strike hardest at those who need them most. I'm not talking about illegal immigrants. I'm talking about the elderly, mentally ill and physically disabled. In the end it will cost the state and society dearly. Doing away with Proposition 36 substance abuse treatment for non-violent drug and alcohol offenders will swell the ranks of the untreated on the streets and the scaling down and closure of homeless shelters will have the same effect. Those who will be denied in-home care services will end up in hospitals and nursing homes at far greater costs to the state. Persons who can no longer access dental care will end up with untreated absesses which can lead to malnutrition and dehydration because it's just to painful to eat or drink. Dialysis patients who will no longer receive that benefit will eventually sicken, be hospitalized and die.

I fear our state is in a downward spiral which our "leaders" lack the foresight and political will to reverse. Meanwhile the gesturing, posturing and games continue under the dome. There's a reason I've always referred to the Capitol as "The Great White Asylum."

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-18-2009 at 01:45 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 01:40 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
he/she, I think he, would argue with anyone just to hear his voice I think. It appears he sees things one way and that is his way..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: